upcoming films

The Prometheus we should have got would have been amazing.

What is it about Prometheus you weren’t a fan of? I can’t work out if people wanted a different origin story for the xenonorphs.

I enjoyed that element of it, there’s a guy on YouTube that does good breakdowns of the alien universe. I get the impression from some of his vids a lot didn’t make the Final Cut.

This is the guys channel for those as much of a geek as me.

What is it about Prometheus you weren’t a fan of? I can’t work out if people wanted a different origin story for the xenonorphs.

I enjoyed that element of it, there’s a guy on YouTube that does good breakdowns of the alien universe. I get the impression from some of his vids a lot didn’t make the Final Cut

I am a fan of Prometheus I'm just saying it could (and should) have been a lot better if they didn't cut loads of it out. The lore got a bit janky in the released cut.

I am a fan of Prometheus I'm just saying it could (and should) have been a lot better if they didn't cut loads of it out. The lore got a bit janky in the released cut.

Ha I edited my post before you replied. I agree, from what they left out should never have been. I’m sure they might add it in at some point and make that the “original”. I think that lad I posted said they did something similar with alien or aliens. The version we watch now is not the original cinematic release

We've just watched the Gladiator II trailer again cos herself hadn't seen yet... is that a shark? In the coliseum???GTF RIDLEY!!!!
Bah..... The real colosseum actually held staged naval battles.

Sharks though..........

Honestly don’t get the hate for Prometheus and Covenant. I think their problem is they’re part of a franchise with one of the greatest horror films ever and one of the greatest action films ever. Genuinely think as stand alone films they’re alright. The themes and expansion of the world I enjoyed. I’d never yuk another man’s yum or tell him what he should like but honestly I enjoyed them
Both films are full to the brim of stupid characters with some of the most implausible decision making possible. The bit were someone slips over in the pool of blood was genuinely hilarious and when you make a film in which Danny McBride is the most serious character you know you're in trouble.

Prometheus is visually stunning but what was the point. An origin story for the Xenomorph and the Engineers. Wasn't needed.

Ha I edited my post before you replied. I agree, from what they left out should never have been. I’m sure they might add it in at some point and make that the “original”. I think that lad I posted said they did something similar with alien or aliens. The version we watch now is not the original cinematic release
For me, Prometheus was great, with some questionable choices

Run perpendicular for example.

I am happy with the guys panicking, as for me I think a garbage crew was hired for the trip as it was expected they were expendable.

Covenant though..... Holy crap that was terrible. Just took a massive dump on everything released up to that point.

Why do they have to be human created. Why can't they just be an alien species....gah. I dislike it so, so much.

Both films are full to the brim of stupid characters with some of the most implausible decision making possible. The bit were someone slips over in the pool of blood was genuinely hilarious and when you make a film in which Danny McBride is the most serious character you know you're in trouble.

Prometheus is visually stunning but what was the point. An origin story for the Xenomorph and the Engineers. Wasn't needed.

I agree parts of it could have been better. I don’t think overall it made it a bad film though.

Again on Prometheus I don’t see anything wrong with a back story for the engineers and them having created the xenomorphs. I think it’s easier to explain parts of their anatomy and physiology if they’re an engineered species. The upcoming film was supposed to be about David arriving at their planet and might still have it in it or reference it.

The films aren’t perfect but I enjoy most things set in the universe except alien resurrection

For me, Prometheus was great, with some questionable choices

Run perpendicular for example.

I am happy with the guys panicking, as for me I think a garbage crew was hired for the trip as it was expected they were expendable.

Covenant though..... Holy crap that was terrible. Just took a massive dump on everything released up to that point.

Why do they have to be human created. Why can't they just be an alien species....gah. I dislike it so, so much.
I didn’t want to write it again pal but I gave part of a response to you in the post to Lapeno77

I agree parts of it could have been better. I don’t think overall it made it a bad film though.

Again on Prometheus I don’t see anything wrong with a back story for the engineers and them having created the xenomorphs. I think it’s easier to explain parts of their anatomy and physiology if they’re an engineered species. The upcoming film was supposed to be about David arriving at their planet and might still have it in it or reference it.

The films aren’t perfect but I enjoy most things set in the universe except alien resurrection

I love learning about the lore of the universe but I do agree with Dylan that them being a creation is a bit naff.

I buy and large don't have any real problems with Prometheus. Like I said, garbage crew, hired on the cheap just to get them there.

Though Covenant.......a supposedly competent crew manning a colony ship just randomly decide to deviate from their plan to colonize a planet they happened across. Then "oh hey, its an alien environment but the atmosphere is kinda breathable, lets get rid of our basic protection" then the whole litany of events. The complete casting off of Elizabeth Shaw (which is where the story should have gone) to focus on David (an android far more advanced than the androids of the future (ie, Ash and Bishop), the creation of humanity, trying to play as god to the destruction of humanity. Just bleh.

Showed off NZ something nice though!

Edit: Oh, I forgot the completely unneeded religious aspect for Billy Crudup's character.

Last edited:
I love learning about the lore of the universe but I do agree with Dylan that them being a creation is a bit naff.

I buy and large don't have any real problems with Prometheus. Like I said, garbage crew, hired on the cheap just to get them there.

Though Covenant.......a supposedly competent crew manning a colony ship just randomly decide to deviate from their plan to colonize a planet they happened across. Then "oh hey, its an alien environment but the atmosphere is kinda breathable, lets get rid of our basic protection" then the whole litany of events. The complete casting off of Elizabeth Shaw (which is where the story should have gone) to focus on David (an android far more advanced than the androids of the future (ie, Ash and Bishop), the creation of humanity, trying to play as god to the destruction of humanity. Just bleh.

Showed off NZ something nice though!

Edit: Oh, I forgot the completely unneeded religious aspect for Billy Crudup's character.

I completely get your gripes to be fair to you, but honestly they don’t bother me that much that I’d cast the films aside.

I think for me them being created kind of makes sense in that the engineers entire gripe with us is how we destroy each other and as a result they create something to deal with us. I also enjoy the fact that their existence is weaved into our culture in a way to explain very common themes across multiple none connected civilisations.

Regarding the planet being kind of breathable while in the scope of the universe it’s pretty rare the fact they come across such a planet, one humanity supposedly hasn’t visited (I don’t think) would make you deviate from course if it had never been picked up before. I completely agree about Shaw though.

Again lads I’m not saying you aren’t wrong, you feel how you feel about them. For me, I don’t think the things you’ve said are either that unforgivable it detracts from the films being overall good or in the case of some of your issues I deem them issues to begin with. I’m not saying they’re up there with Alien and Aliens though, hopefully the new one can recapture some of the original magic of the franchise

I was going to watch In a Violent Nature at the weekend, but the gore fest reviews put me off.
I gave it a watch, it's not that bad. A bit of a slow burner at times.

It's a bit different, as in there are parts of it that if you walked into a room where someone was watching it, and they happened to be holding a PS/XBox remote at the same time, you'd swear they were playing a 3rd person horror themed game. That's kind of how certain scenes were shot. Then when he goes in for the kills, it feels like 'press X for the kill shot. The longer you hold X, the more gory the kill'! Reminded me a bit of that game 'Man hunt'.

Also saw this pop up on my recommended.

Robert Eggers + Willem Dafoe has been a good combo in the past. This looks like a pleasingly weird and unsettling take on the classic Nosferatu.

They keep pushing the release date on this. It's a bit annoying! 😤

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back