• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

VAR isn’t the issue, it’s the refs

VAR decisions being made lightning fast and accurately in the Euros

Scrapping VAR isn’t the solution,

we need to do something about the cabal of crap referees that infest British football
Its the way The Referees and VAR are told to apply the rules
The technology is not the enemy
The technology is just that - tech shiz
It's the way they're told to apply them

By their various Paymasters

If it is the refs (which I agree) it can't be that they're crap. I can't accept that our ref eyes and decisions are innately worse than those on any other country- there's no reason for that.

I CAN accept that there's motivation for them and their establishment to be as corrupt as hell. Money, gambling influence, Sky choreographing drama, Sky protecting its brands for European appearances, greed - they're all rife in the game.

Add tovthat the British World class talent at closing ranks and covering up.
The talent pool for players in the premier league is the whole world, and due to the money, it is the best in the world playing there.

For referees, the talent pool is england only, less than a thousandth of the world population, and the money is such that it doesn't necessarily attract the best even within england as it would for the actual players.

Imagine a team within the PL that could sign only english players...how well would they do?

It isn't that foreign refs are better per se, just that there probably is a Brazilian referee that is better that could be brought in, ditto one from Ghana, etc.

Quite aside from the obvious biases you see.

It's not VAR it's the time taken that ruins things, take offside if you have to spend a few minutes looking and adding lines searching for inches then it is not clear and obvious, 15 seconds if var haven't come to a decision then the call on the field stands.

I'd like the PL to implement what MLS in the states is doing and have the ref mic'd and they explain the VAR decision to the crowd after its made.

There was an incident recently where the ref explained there was no offside and the crowd erupted in cheers just for him to hold up his hand and say there was a foul in the build up and the goal was disallowed.

It was beautiful execution.

I think the Portugal V Georgia game last night just shows how stupid this notion was the way VAR was used was terrible and the ref wasn't English so debate over.

The automated offside is good in that it's quick and objective, but last night shows how cruel it can be. For me the automated system should just work out where the line is and then permit anything within a certain margin of error, like 6 inches or something.

The handball is a load of crap though. Cannoned att him from a yard out and he's rotated his body in a very natural way. In situations where a player doesn't deliberately move his hand towards the balls there should be a minimum distance from the kicker the handler has to be before they can be penalised for handball.

The handball is a load of crap though. Cannoned att him from a yard out and he's rotated his body in a very natural way. In situations where a player doesn't deliberately move his hand towards the balls there should be a minimum distance from the kicker the handler has to be before they can be penalised for handball.
handball should be for deliberate handball, or where the player/team gain an advantage from an accidental handball. Simples.

Put the offside rule back in the hands of the linesman.
If they flag, only then take the decision to VAR.
As per the Denmark match yesterday (& many others) linesman kept his flag down so the on-field decision should be respected.
If he flags, & VAR shows it as a toe offside then so be it - ultimately the original decision was made on-field before VAR decided to get involved.

Granted it can work both ways, player yard offside, no flag raised, therefore VAR doesn't check, goal stands.

It's unfortunate that VAR isn't going anywhere but this is as 'Best of both worlds' solution I can think up.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back