Villa game sold out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decent support have villa. Agreed last few years not brought ad many but under MON they were doing well and brought loads

Not sure I agree on that to be honest. Their fanbase is huge due to being the biggest club in one of the biggest cities in England so they are always capable of filling the full allocation at most places. But when they're not doing well their fans can't be arsed. I remember a few years back in the cup when they only brought about 4,000 when they could have had 6,000. The other way round we'd have easily sold the 6,000 you get at Villa Park for cup matches. We do it every time we get Chelsea for example, regardless of kick off time or whether it's mid week and it's a lot further.

Decent support have villa. Agreed last few years not brought ad many but under MON they were doing well and brought loads
To be fair when they won the title in 81 their average was over 37000 but our two title wins had an average of less than 33000 both times.I know it's a bigger city and there was mass unemployment in Liverpool but we regularly had bigger crowds in the 70s than Villa ours just didn't come back in the 80s.

It seems as soon as this club hits a sticky patch the fans immediately step up to the plate. We don't need any rallying cries we don't need the manager and players asking for our help. Goodison can go quiet sometimes but when our backs are to the wall the noise gets ramped up, god help villa. WE GO THE GAME

Remember that 3-3 draw with Villa about a year and a half ago?

Villa were 3-1 up with about twenty minutes left and we were chucking the kitchen sink at them.

The crowd ramped the noise up and I don't believe I had ever heard such a din in the Old Lady before.

To be fair when they won the title in 81 their average was over 37000 but our two title wins had an average of less than 33000 both times.I know it's a bigger city and there was mass unemployment in Liverpool but we regularly had bigger crowds in the 70s than Villa ours just didn't come back in the 80s.

That us sommat that has always baffled me.....why our crowds weren't bigger in the glory days of the mid 80s.

We were averaging near around 40,000 in the 70s.

Having said that the crowd had really dwindled in the very early 80s......something like circa 23k......so it had come back well off a very low base in 1985 if you compare it with that.

Liverpool's crowd didn't tail off the way ours did but I think it fair to say they were still very successful then.....it would have been interesting to see how they would have fared crowd wise if they had been as crap as we were in 1982.

It was the height of Thatcherism and younger people on here wouldn't know how hard this city was hit by the arl bitch's policies of scorched earth throughout the old Labour heartlands of the north......with the city of Liverpool the number one target on their hit list.

With unemployment so rife, lots of people just gave up on the match.

Barstewards (Thatcher's government that is, not the people who couldn't afford to go the game)

Last edited:
That us sommat that has always baffled me.....why our crowds weren't bigger in the glory days of the mid 80s.

Having said that the crowd had really dwindled in the very early 80s......something like circa 23k......so it had come back well off a very low base in 1985 if you compare it with that.

Liverpool's crowd didn't tail off the way ours did but I think it fair to say they were still very successful then.....it would have been interesting to see how they would have fared crowd wise if they had been as crap as we were in 1982.

It was the height of Thatcherism and younger people on here wouldn't know how hard this city was hit by the arl bitch's policies of scorched earth throughout the old Labour heartlands of the north......with the city of Liverpool the number one target on their hit list.

Barstewards (Thatcher's government that is, not the people who couldn't afford to go the game)

David Cameron is doing a fine job keeping thatchers legacy in place of goverments that tear up city's.
If we hadn't had so much generation I would hate to think what position we would be in!but times have changed to.

With so many season tickets I imagine every untelevised game this year (bar midweek) should sell out. Still this is very good ten days before

There a support were " if there doing ok they wanna know "
If they aren't they don't. Think this is the diffrence between ours and there's.

I think we are loyal, when we do well we sell out to see some beautiful togger.
When we are poor we sell out, to see a middle aged overweight drunk man shout abuse at the opposition for being better than us.

I love the Gwladys Street.

The mid-80s was the nadir for football attendances. Can't remember exactly but our 33,000 average when winning the league was only a notch behind the RS despite their unbroken period of success for the previous 10 years or more. It was also only 5,000 or so behind Utds I think.

Surprised villa have sold out. They usually only fill the bottom tier. There another club who think there support is great and its not ours is better!
They've only just sold out. Tickets have been on general sale at Villa since 22nd sept. Everton away tickets really reach general sale.

Just out of interest, is a sell out every seat gone, or do we consider a sell out as all the good seats - restricted views ?
Sound silly i know, same with the away fans included, is it a sell out when the away is all sold or just the home allocation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.