2021/22 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not it at all though is it? It's the club receiving money from and advertising for a company uniquely intertwined with the Russian government and Putin. It's not about blaming said company for the actions of Putin. It's about taking a moral stand and not further enriching Putin and his enablers. FFS.

Please show me how USM are ‘uniquely intertwined with the Russian military’, and I’ll show you how PIF are literally the investment arm of the Saudi regime that buys weapons from HM Government.

Please show me how USM are ‘uniquely intertwined with the Russian military’, and I’ll show you how PIF are literally the investment arm of the Saudi regime that buys weapons from HM Government.
I said Russian government, though I guess they are related. I mean they are, it’s a fact. It’s how the biggest companies in Russia are controlled. I completely agree about PIF and the Saudis, that’s an awful association for Newcastle.

I said Russian government, though I guess they are related. I mean they are, it’s a fact. It’s how the biggest companies in Russia are controlled. I completely agree about PIF and the Saudis, that’s an awful association for Newcastle.

Show me how it’s a fact, mate? I don’t think it’s a fact at all, I think it’s BS.

Russian sports people are being denied competing in world and continental events because of their leader’s actions, unless they support him they should be speaking out
They'd be very brave or very foolish to do that. This is becoming a witch hunt. Are we really to believe some random Russian who is great at sports should be deemed a pariah unless he is prepared to risk his family's life (because it's the family in Russia who will most likely suffer) by criticising a ruthless, murderous dictator in public? People are very quick to demand other innocent people risk their lives.

Classic Davek

When you condemn Boris Johnson or Tory policies are you are condemning the entire UK population ?

When you condemn an Everton player or manager are you condemning the entire club and fanbase ?

and so on
when you condemn russia and have family in russia, i'm pretty sure there are consequences. that country isn't run by levelheaded people

when you condemn russia and have family in russia, i'm pretty sure there are consequences. that country isn't run by levelheaded people

The biggest rapper in Russia has come out publicly against the war, so have several other Russian sport stars including tennis and ice hockey players. Actors as well. I agree its easier said than done though and may be more awkward for the captain of a national team.

Show me how it’s a fact, mate? I don’t think it’s a fact at all, I think it’s BS.
I apologize if I came off dismissive. Without getting into too much detail because it's off-topic, you won't likely find a link to Putin directly influencing Megafon or USM holdings, but that's by design. The large companies in Russia that are not state-run are still influenced heavily by Putin and his government. Usmanov is a very close ally of Putin and managed Gazprom Investholding (state-owned) for a while during Putin's presidency. He founded one of biggest metal conglomerates in Russia, owns a major Russian newspaper and the second largest mobile phone company in Russia (Megafon). Not to mention he gifted a luxury mansion to Medvedev in blatant corruption. There is a less than zero chance that Putin does not directly influence Usmanov's business dealings and receive kickbacks in return. It's the whole basis of his relationship with the oligarchs like Usmanov. So if we as a club choose to take Usmanov's money and advertise his businesses, we are choosing to associate with Putin.

Realize this isn't about Mykolenko, but I just wanted to clarify what I meant.

I don't see what the issue is with calling out the most popular Russian player to take a stand. Dzuba has a history of saying anti-Ukraine stuff as well.
Anti-Ukranian nazi militia stuff. There's a difference.

If Mykolenko feels strongly about it maybe he'd like to go back to Ukraine and be with his family and friends and pick a gun up?

Russian sports people are being denied competing in world and continental events because of their leader’s actions, unless they support him they should be speaking out
Yeah, and get 'kin battered by their henchmen and their families hounded. Great move.

I apologize if I came off dismissive. Without getting into too much detail because it's off-topic, you won't likely find a link to Putin directly influencing Megafon or USM holdings, but that's by design. The large companies in Russia that are not state-run are still influenced heavily by Putin and his government. Usmanov is a very close ally of Putin and managed Gazprom Investholding (state-owned) for a while during Putin's presidency. He founded one of biggest metal conglomerates in Russia, owns a major Russian newspaper and the second largest mobile phone company in Russia (Megafon). Not to mention he gifted a luxury mansion to Medvedev in blatant corruption. There is a less than zero chance that Putin does not directly influence Usmanov's business dealings and receive kickbacks in return. It's the whole basis of his relationship with the oligarchs like Usmanov. So if we as a club choose to take Usmanov's money and advertise his businesses, we are choosing to associate with Putin.

Realize this isn't about Mykolenko, but I just wanted to clarify what I meant.

With respect mate, that sounds like a lot of speculation and not a lot of facts. You say yourself that that there is no direct link between Putin and USM.

USM is a private company and Putin is not a shareholder. Whereas PIF are literally owned by the Saudi government.

Classic Davek

When you condemn Boris Johnson or Tory policies are you are condemning the entire UK population ?

When you condemn an Everton player or manager are you condemning the entire club and fanbase ?

and so on
Closer to home: maybe Mykolenko should first call for Moshiri and Usmanov to condemn Putin's invasion?

....Or mabe he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him?

Status
Not open for further replies.