Was Kevin Campbell's transfer in 1999 our most significant of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as ensuring the time since has been spent in the Premier League and not Divison 2 or worse, he's been the most important.

Thanks for reading the thread, amazing how you can read 550 words in less than a minute.

Which funnily enough is about how many times Southall make league appearances for Everton.

But enough of that. You've written a good thread here, mate. Our Kevin as indeed an extremely important signing.

Not of all time, but he was fantastic in his first season and in 99-2000 and it's a really good write up.

In terms of the last 20 years then it's hard to look past him. Nigel Martyn was a great signing too as where most you mentioned.

Another important signing was of a man who received very little plaudits but was crucial to us winning the Title in '87.

Wayne Clarke, bought late in the sason when I think Sharpy picked up an injury and was ruled out.

Clarke scored five proceless goals in the last nine or ten games to help secure the title.

In a similar manner Paul Power. Came late in the season to cover Reid and Bracewell and was tremendous as we won the title.

Campbell is a good shout but I suppose which way you look at it. Without Graham Stuart would we have stayed up on the final day against Wimbledon?

Vital signing, for sure. More interesting, in some respects, was looking at who was in the league at the time. Half of them have bitten the dust, some for longer than others. Could've easily been us...thanks Super Kev.

As has already been suggested, Campbell is definitely not the most important signing of all time, but I'd he was of the recent era, given his impact at the end of the 98-99 season. He single handedly kept us up that season when it looked like we were deffo going to fall through the trapdoor. God knows what would have happened if that had become a reality

On a picky note, although it's a good write up, it contains some factual errors. For example, Campbell made his debut in the Anfield derby. The game Carbone scored twice for Sheff Wed at Goodison was his second game, and the Coventry game when Campbell scored twice was in fact his third game for us not his debut. The 6-0 West Ham match was our final home game, but we played Southampton away the week after on the last day of the season.

So Campbell scored 9 goals in 8 games, which deffo saved us from relegation. What's more remarkable, given he didn't score in his opening two games, or his final one that season, is that he actually scored all 9 goals in 5 games!! And all when it looked like the team would hardly score again that season. An incredibly timely loan signing!

As has already been suggested, Campbell is definitely not the most important signing of all time, but I'd he was of the recent era, given his impact at the end of the 98-99 season. He single handedly kept us up that season when it looked like we were deffo going to fall through the trapdoor. God knows what would have happened if that had become a reality

On a picky note, although it's a good write up, it contains some factual errors. For example, Campbell made his debut in the Anfield derby. The game Carbone scored twice for Sheff Wed at Goodison was his second game, and the Coventry game when Campbell scored twice was in fact his third game for us not his debut. The 6-0 West Ham match was our final home game, but we played Southampton away the week after on the last day of the season.

So Campbell scored 9 goals in 8 games, which deffo saved us from relegation. What's more remarkable, given he didn't score in his opening two games, or his final one that season, is that he actually scored all 9 goals in 5 games!! And all when it looked like the team would hardly score again that season. An incredibly timely loan signing!

Thank you for clearing this up, I wrote this mainly from memory and talking to my father.

Sadly for me, Campbell wont go down as a great signing because he generally underperformed once he has signed a long term deal and was the top earner at the club. On his day he could be a right lazy [Poor language removed] and would get caught offside strolling back from an attack that had happened 5 minutes earlier. As mentioned in your piece he scored 9 goals in 6 games that first season. From memory I think the most he ever scored in the 4 seasons after that was 12.

Sadly for me, Campbell wont go down as a great signing because he generally underperformed once he has signed a long term deal and was the top earner at the club. On his day he could be a right lazy [Poor language removed] and would get caught offside strolling back from an attack that had happened 5 minutes earlier. As mentioned in your piece he scored 9 goals in 6 games that first season. From memory I think the most he ever scored in the 4 seasons after that was 12.

To be fair to him he got a bad injury but kept playing as we had nobody else at the time. He basically ****ed himself up for us.

By the way Scott Gemmill did a lot in those last few games for us too. Didnt do much after that but when he signed at the same time as Campbell he set up a fair few goals himself.

In terms of being so much better than every other outfield player at the club, the signing of Beardsley.

terrible thread - reminds me of the darkest days in the clubs history.

and coming at a time like this appears as some sort of threat as to what may happen to us again

Status
Not open for further replies.