2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that makes it ok to play him tho, he's one of the reasons we're playing so poorly. We've tried him up top and in the No.10 role but he's been non-existent in both roles apart from getting in other players way, I'm not a big fan of Siggurdson but he should start over Rooney. It's a shame as Wayne has been world class and will only be appreciated once he's retired.

Our top goal scorer and the only one who wants the ball. Also the created more chances than anyone else.

We just going to remove that and hope a player who on average touches the ball 23 times a game, has to rely wingers and a target man, to be better?

I'm all for giving Siggurdson a run out without Rooney. I honestly don't think anything will change though as we're still missing something in midfield.

Honestly Tin-Tin, he really isn't. Like, I'd say leaking goals and not scoring any is slightly more drastic, and given he's got more than anyone else I reckon I'm not wrong.

When he spanked that goal against Arsenal, I'm guessing it was his fault we conceded 5 afterwards.

When he plays as a No.9 but comes deep for the ball, what space do you want a midfielder to take? He's not the only problem but the name Rooney is whats keeping him in the team at the moment.

Or when he plays the number 10 role but again drops deep leaving DCL isolated, assuming he hasnt actually lost the ball.

Or when he plays wide of a front 3 and again decides to roam and come infield, leaving the RB on his own against attackers which he does regularly.

He cannot stay in position and keep the team shape regardless of where he is supposed to play, he decides that he's got a free role and we cannot afford to be carrying him.

When he plays as a No.9 but comes deep for the ball, what space do you want a midfielder to take? He's not the only problem but the name Rooney is whats keeping him in the team at the moment.

You expect the one of two other forward players to fill that forward line. You expect a midfielder to sit. They don't.

And he only does it because of the endless passing sideways and backwards.

It's only the last two games where we've played wingers that the forward line looks balanced imo. But anything from the defence to the midfield is a horror show

He is because he's being shoehorned in at the expense of the rest of the team.

Okay, so remove Rooney and put Sigurdsson in there. Who's picking the ball off the dms? Who's spreading and switching play? Who's he linking with as a striker?

Sigurdsson does none of this.

Our top goal scorer and the only one who wants the ball. Also the created more chances than anyone else.

We just going to remove that and hope a player who on average touches the ball 23 times a game, has to rely wingers and a target man, to be better?

I'm all for giving Siggurdson a run out without Rooney. I honestly don't think anything will change though as we're still missing something in midfield.
Just because a player is our top goalscorer doesn't mean him being in the team isn't detrimental to us. It may sound mad but he is what Gerrard was to Liverpool towards the end of his career, a burden on the team, play him because of the name and what he USED to do not what he CAN do.

Just because a player is our top goalscorer doesn't mean him being in the team isn't detrimental to us. It may sound mad but he is what Gerrard was to Liverpool towards the end of his career, a burden on the team, play him because of the name and what he USED to do not what he CAN do.

They almost won the league when he dropped deeper.

They also had a ridiculous forward line and a combative midfield.

Shocking defence though

Okay, so remove Rooney and put Sigurdsson in there. Who's picking the ball off the dms? Who's spreading and switching play? Who's he linking with as a striker?

Sigurdsson does none of this.

What is it you think Glyfi does? Sits on the bench until we have a free kick/corner then gets subbed on like some American football offence type thing.

Of course thats what he does and his passes tend to find a player in the same colour shirt. Granted he hast started well but he needs a chance.

Wayne Rooney, however sloppy he can be with the ball at times (and how he tries to do absolutely everybody's jobs for them) is not the problem for us at the moment lads.

He's a major problem in that we can't counter attack with any effectiveness with him. And he's a major problem in giving it away cheaply especially through square balls, and it's leaving us wide open on the counter. There's numerous issues but Rooney is the biggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back