Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not going to actually compete if we sell one of the only players in our squad who actually knows how to win. He's our top scorer ffs, we need to sell about twenty players before we even get to thinking about Rooney, mori, Bolasie etc.

I'm so glad most of you aren't in charge, jee whizz, it's not as easy as football manager to buy and sell players, it's not done at one click. He doesn't need to be sold he just needs to play less, backup to Sigurdsson for that attacking mid role of the three and maybe go up top in a two that's it.
Agree.
Top scorer, but most of those earlier in the season. Good management would have to given him planned breaks in the season, a couple of weeks off, rather than flogging him on practically every game.

Been nice to have him back during this absolute stain of a season, but we should leave the fairytale at that and gracefully send him to China or the USA in the summer. Not what we need if we’re going for a full summe of change.

He can't get anywhere near the box let alone in it. Watching him try to get forward and join in with the attack is like watching your fat uncle wheezing his way through a 10k in the blistering heat.

Noticed last night with Schneidelein & Gueye behind him he was able to get in the box a bit more...

Rooney still our top goalscorer & can still play a role & has the ability to get 10-15 goals a season...

Last 20 mins last night were his best of the match - because he was absolutely everywhere defensively. Lost count how many headers and clearances he made. You could see him encouraging the other lads too to keep fighting.

First half he was lost. Gave the ball away constantly and just had no influence, whilst Schneiderlin bossed it.

I'll be honest, I love Wayne and I want him to stay because I think he is the only born winner in the squad and we need some of them. He can still do enough to be worthwhile keeping, but I think he needs to accept that he's no longer good enough to start every match in the premier league.

We've lost a lot of games with this 'born winner' this season. Right now, there is a place in the team for him because our squad is as bad as it's been since 2003/04, however you would hope to God that there will be some replacements in central midfield over the summer, as we will go absolutely nowhere if we are relying on a very poor Wayne Rooney next season.

Noticed last night with Schneidelein & Gueye behind him he was able to get in the box a bit more...

Rooney still our top goalscorer & can still play a role & has the ability to get 10-15 goals a season...

No mate I didn't notice that. Did he enter the box at any point?

Being our top scorer with 10 in the worst team we've had for over a decade when you've taken about 7 penalties is not an achievement. All it does is highlight how poor our attacking options have been. As soon as we stopped getting penalties every week he's stopped looking like scoring. That shot he had from about 30 yards in the second half was really depressing, his legs don't have anything left.

Been saying he should go to MLS for a while. Not sure he's got the legs for it. Crazy that he's only 32.
That's what you get for being the real deal so early, the sooner you start the sooner you finish
'Milage in the legs-wise', there's only so much in there
Everybody's different of course but if you start at 19 in the big leagues, injuries aside the perceived wisdom is you're at your peak at 27, but physiologically your peak is 22/24 and if you're any good at learning your job you adapt as you go and hit that best of both worlds 27 peak. Then it really is down hill...but wait, all is not lost, you can then start to use your experience, pick your battles, use your head to save your feet occasionally...your build can help, your disciple can help
Anyway long story short, Rooney didn't start at 19, but at 16. He was bossing the England team at 17. He's not a natural athete, nor is he disciplined.
He's done his dash.

It's a shame he hasn't kept on top of his fitness and discipline over the years. Being Captain of your Country is supposedly a massive honour for a footballer, but yet he got so drunk at a party whilst on England duty that he could hardly stand up. Everton is supposedly the club he loves, but he had only been back at Everton for a matter of weeks when he was arrested for drink-driving. A person can't go on like that and expect to put in top performances on the pitch. I just hope that when he does hang his boots up, he doesn't go the way of Gazza.

That's what you get for being the real deal so early, the sooner you start the sooner you finish
'Milage in the legs-wise', there's only so much in there
Everybody's different of course but if you start at 19 in the big leagues, injuries aside the perceived wisdom is you're at your peak at 27, but physiologically your peak is 22/24 and if you're any good at learning your job you adapt as you go and hit that best of both worlds 27 peak. Then it really is down hill...but wait, all is not lost, you can then start to use your experience, pick your battles, use your head to save your feet occasionally...your build can help, your disciple can help
Anyway long story short, Rooney didn't start at 19, but at 16. He was bossing the England team at 17. He's not a natural athete, nor is he disciplined.
He's done his dash.

Milner started at 16, broke Rooney's youngest scorer record, and the other week Rooney looked like he had at least 10 years on him.

No mate I didn't notice that. Did he enter the box at any point?

Being our top scorer with 10 in the worst team we've had for over a decade when you've taken about 7 penalties is not an achievement. All it does is highlight how poor our attacking options have been. As soon as we stopped getting penalties every week he's stopped looking like scoring. That shot he had from about 30 yards in the second half was really depressing, his legs don't have anything left.
I just find it so strange Michael that you are blindly supportive of Walcott, dismissing any criticism of him as being purely due to the tactics of the manager. Yet with Rooney you are the polar opposite. Nothing is the manager or the set up, it's all Rooney.
Rooney's having a rough patch at the moment, I don't think anyone can deny that. But your constant lambasting is a little odd given the contextual arguments you insist we all use for Walcott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back