Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just highlighting the chasm of difference in two players of the same age and mileage mert.
Thats ok coq, feel free and as I said everybody IS different, like Rooneys won stuff, lots, scored goals, lots, played over 100 times for England. Nobodys saying Milner hasn't looked after himself though

I just find it so strange Michael that you are blindly supportive of Walcott, dismissing any criticism of him as being purely due to the tactics of the manager. Yet with Rooney you are the polar opposite. Nothing is the manager or the set up, it's all Rooney.
Rooney's having a rough patch at the moment, I don't think anyone can deny that. But your constant lambasting is a little odd given the contextual arguments you insist we all use for Walcott.

No I'm not blindly supportive of Walcott mate, I'm supportive of him because he's our best attacking player. His touch, technique, dribbling ability and positional play are there to see. However Rooney's physical deficiencies are also there for all to see. He doesn't have it in his legs to get about the pitch, or even pass and shoot anymore. Every crossfield Hollywood pass seems to float out of play, every through ball seems to roll harmlessly to a defender's feet, every shot is feeble or miles wide. It's sad to see, for most of the season it was just against the top 6 where his deficiencies shown through but now he just looks completely burnt out.

No I'm not blindly supportive of Walcott mate, I'm supportive of him because he's our best attacking player. His touch, technique, dribbling ability and positional play are there to see. However Rooney's physical deficiencies are also there for all to see. He doesn't have it in his legs to get about the pitch, or even pass and shoot anymore. Every crossfield Hollywood pass seems to float out of play, every through ball seems to roll harmlessly to a defender's feet, every shot is feeble or miles wide. It's sad to see, for most of the season it was just against the top 6 where his deficiencies shown through but now he just looks completely burnt out.
And for me that's the clincher, the last sentence. He's burnt out. I rewatched the City away game a few days ago. He looked far zippier.
Isn't he the player thats started / played the most this season apart from Pickford?
His games need tailoring, agreed. But if you flog a horse too much, it gets tired at the back end of the race.

Better from Wayne last night...

Needs to get in the box more where he is a threat & can score goals...

Our number 10, our creative force who failed to create one single chance, Cenk Tosun had hair before he joined us, he's pulled it all out waiting for some service from our creative(lol) players. We are reliant on Bolasie, Rooney and Walcott as our creators, only Walcot remotely looks dangerous and he struggles to get service himself most of the time. Yannick and Rooney just pass to the opposition or run out of play, it's pathetic how bad they are.

I have to give him a bit of credit because he is playing a different role than he played befor. passing was not great at times last night but he didn't shy away from the game he kept wanting the ball. I think with a couple of better players around him he would be ok.

And for me that's the clincher, the last sentence. He's burnt out. I rewatched the City away game a few days ago. He looked far zippier.
Isn't he the player thats started / played the most this season apart from Pickford?
His games need tailoring, agreed. But if you flog a horse too much, it gets tired at the back end of the race.
Sadly however, with Rooney's apparent status at the club combined with being our highest earner, then I feel his position is almost cemented.

I agree that he's jaded and it's had a detrimental affect on his performances, yet he's still consistently playing in a position where he's been poor.

It probably doesn't help that we do not have many options in the midfield regarding creativity, especially with Davies also being regularly poor.

However, it cannot be used as an excuse for his own poor showing; personally, he should never have been a regular starter but he still will be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back