Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was mainly like we dropped Rom off and Bill spotted Rooney in a skip,turned round and said we can fix that up good as new,so he spent a few quid then a major part blew,so it was a waste of time

Take away all emotion and this is cut and dry.

Club bring in striker as club’s top earner. >
Striker has decent first half of season but club struggles. >
Majority of goals scored by striker are penalties. >
After Xmas striker is moved into midfield after it becomes apparent striker lacks pace. >
After Xmas striker’s form dramatically drops off for the remainder of the season. >
Striker requests assurances from club of special status next season despite lack of contribution.

Club cannot give assurances to striker nor justify his huge contract now that striker no longer contributes much to team. >
MLS club offer to buy striker. >
Striker moves to MLS. >
Club reinvests in younger striker who will contribute long term.

Cut and dry, no?

So you admit he has lost any pace he had and his touch has gone - so why did we want him ? Not bitter about him leaving as if a player wants to go to a bigger club there's not a lot we can do about it. I'm mad we bothered bringing him back when he was obviously not up to it and not wanted by the mancs but we'll take him off your hands, another reject accepted. Nobody I know thinks it was a good idea - cos it wasn't.

If we hadn't have brought him back we'd have ended up in a much worse state than we were when Allardyce took over.

Take away all emotion and this is cut and dry.

Club bring in striker as club’s top earner. >
Striker has decent first half of season but club struggles. >
Majority of goals scored by striker are penalties. >
After Xmas striker is moved into midfield after it becomes apparent striker lacks pace. >
After Xmas striker’s form dramatically drops off for the remainder of the season. >
Striker requests assurances from club of special status next season despite lack of contribution.

Club cannot give assurances to striker nor justify his huge contract now that striker no longer contributes much to team. >
MLS club offer to buy striker. >
Striker moves to MLS. >
Club reinvests in younger striker who will contribute long term.

Cut and dry, no?

He isn't a striker though, that's the crux of it.

He was brought in without a defined role.

He's at his best in midfield but yes, lacks the pace to be there long term - as we'd have to build the team around him to accommodate him.

But people seem to be saying he's been awful. He hasn't. He wasn't great, but had some great moments. Wasn't awful, but had some bad moments.

If you consider the amount of [Poor language removed] in the squad, he is the last 'under performer' I'd get rid of. I think it would hurt the club off the pitch too...

He isn't a striker though, that's the crux of it.

He was brought in without a defined role.

He's at his best in midfield but yes, lacks the pace to be there long term - as we'd have to build the team around him to accommodate him.

But people seem to be saying he's been awful. He hasn't. He wasn't great, but had some great moments. Wasn't awful, but had some bad moments.
Would you be happier if he stayed or would you prefer him to go?

Personally I think it was a calculated risk that didn't work out. Wasn't an absolute disaster either. But I hoped to hear stories from the likes of DCL saying how he had helped him with 1-1s and the like and I'm disappointed with that aspect really.

Hurt that disappointed by Everton’s willingness to let him go”

When you weigh it up, I can see his point, especially with some of the trash in the squad.

Maybe looking at players we can sell on and actually get some fees in from.
Good, he couldn't get out fast enough as a lad, now he expects us to keep him round now he's past it, don't let the door hit you on the way out you rat

Facts are though, he came back, did ok, got arrested for drink driving, thus showing for me that this move back was one born out of sentiment and convenience.

If he was determined to make an impact he would have acted like an athlete and a professional.

He didn’t, so I’m not arsed either way.
Also highlights why a 32 year old rooney is off to the US (not even a decent team in the US), while a 33 year old Ronaldo is about to play in yet another champions league final (and finish top scorer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back