Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Hurt that disappointed by Everton’s willingness to let him go”

When you weigh it up, I can see his point, especially with some of the trash in the squad.

Maybe looking at players we can sell on and actually get some fees in from.
I would imagine any club would be willing to let him go if he is only going to be a bit part player sat on 150k a week

Take away all emotion and this is cut and dry.

Club bring in striker as club’s top earner. >
Striker has decent first half of season but club struggles. >
Majority of goals scored by striker are penalties. >
After Xmas striker is moved into midfield after it becomes apparent striker lacks pace. >
After Xmas striker’s form dramatically drops off for the remainder of the season. >
Striker requests assurances from club of special status next season despite lack of contribution.

Club cannot give assurances to striker nor justify his huge contract now that striker no longer contributes much to team. >
MLS club offer to buy striker. >
Striker moves to MLS. >
Club reinvests in younger striker who will contribute long term.

Cut and dry, no?

Love this post.

There will always be a contribution he could make if he stayed, question is how much. There again he is not worth 150K per week if that is the right figure. So as Neiler says a move would great for all.

It’s no surprise to me that the second he joined, we have one of the most disjointed seasons in memory. Some moments of quality here and there, but he killed our attacks when he played up top/behind the striker.

You can’t shoehorn somebody like that into your squad. I’m convinced that he is the main reason Koeman got fired (for the best tbf). Unfortunately, it turned out exactly the way I predicted. He played too much and it really hurt the team.

Reactions: Tak
Would you be happier if he stayed or would you prefer him to go?

Personally I think it was a calculated risk that didn't work out. Wasn't an absolute disaster either. But I hoped to hear stories from the likes of DCL saying how he had helped him with 1-1s and the like and I'm disappointed with that aspect really.

Lookman, DCL, Davies, Vlasic - they've all benefited from playing together. Tosun commented on it and so has Gylfi.

I don't have an issue with letting him go, as long as we replace him.

Also highlights why a 32 year old rooney is off to the US (not even a decent team in the US), while a 33 year old Ronaldo is about to play in yet another champions league final (and finish top scorer).

Completely different types of player and people, though.

Ronaldo is superhuman but part of that is genetics as well. It's not all down to discipline/training.

Ronaldo has also been playing in LaLiga - a much slower league overall - for the past nine years. Rooney has been in the PL for 16 years.

While I'm not saying the Prem is the best league, it is the most intense over the course of a season.

Ronaldo has managed to perfect a role in recent years of actually doing very little in a game - his effort is reserved for short, sharp bursts of pace and pieces of magic.

Rooney has never been that player. He has always been an 'all action' player who tries to put himself about.

Reactions: Tak
It’s no surprise to me that the second he joined, we have one of the most disjointed seasons in memory. Some moments of quality here and there, but he killed our attacks when he played up top/behind the striker.

You can’t shoehorn somebody like that into your squad. I’m convinced that he is the main reason Koeman got fired (for the best tbf). Unfortunately, it turned out exactly the way I predicted. He played too much and it really hurt the team.

That's not Rooney's fault though. It's the management.

His role in the side should have been clear from the outset.

I think the club needs to seriously think twice before signing any more veteran 'name' players.

Set aside our history with Rooney, his signing and subsequent release is comparable with when we brought Eto'o in. You get the odd boss performance but ultimately we're not making a statement. We're taking ageing players not deemed to be elite any more from the clubs we aspire to challenge. For the money spent on wages (and nominal fee as part of the Lukaku deal in Rooneys case) surely there has to be a smarter way to improve the quality of the squad.

He delivered some really good performances in a side that wasn't performing to anywhere close to its best. He stepped it up when the entire club needed a boost in that game against West Ham and he secured the most unlikeliest of points at Anfield.
When was his last good performance, though? Months ago. Time has caught up to him and if the media reports of him wanting "assurances" about first team appearances then it is best for everyone for him to leave before this goes sour.

Lookman, DCL, Davies, Vlasic - they've all benefited from playing together. Tosun commented on it and so has Gylfi.

I don't have an issue with letting him go, as long as we replace him.

Completely different types of player and people, though.

Ronaldo is superhuman but part of that is genetics as well. It's not all down to discipline/training.

Ronaldo has also been playing in LaLiga - a much slower league overall - for the past nine years. Rooney has been in the PL for 16 years.

While I'm not saying the Prem is the best league, it is the most intense over the course of a season.

Ronaldo has managed to perfect a role in recent years of actually doing very little in a game - his effort is reserved for short, sharp bursts of pace and pieces of magic.

Rooney has never been that player. He has always been an 'all action' player who tries to put himself about.
I think that's doing Ronaldo a disservice. He is at the level he is because of his desire, not genetic luck.

Rooney chooses to drink and smoke. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so...

rooney-lollipop.webp

Take away all emotion and this is cut and dry.

Club bring in striker as club’s top earner. >
Striker has decent first half of season but club struggles. >
Majority of goals scored by striker are penalties. >
After Xmas striker is moved into midfield after it becomes apparent striker lacks pace. >
After Xmas striker’s form dramatically drops off for the remainder of the season. >
Striker requests assurances from club of special status next season despite lack of contribution.

Club cannot give assurances to striker nor justify his huge contract now that striker no longer contributes much to team. >
MLS club offer to buy striker. >
Striker moves to MLS. >
Club reinvests in younger striker who will contribute long term.

Cut and dry, no?
Absolutely this ^^

Too many people on here hate him because of the "once a blue....." Man U debacle and won't take a balanced view
Too many people on here love him because of a nostalgic attachment to the player he was and the "bring a blue home" nonsense peddled by Bill

Breaking it down dispassionately like this makes it plain that £150K a week for a player who insists on playing, has a moderate influence on results and has a history of agent-led shenanigans when he doesn't get his own way makes no sense from a sporting or fiscal standpoint, particularly when you factor in a willing party in DC United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back