What's eating Gilbert Hinchcliffe?

…it’s ego, his comments are hidden references to him being superior than current crop.

When he was at the club, I took in an Everton v Blackburn Lancashire League game at Bellefield with my son who was about 7 at the time. Hinchcliffe was watching from the touchline nearest the dressing and a there was a clamour for his autograph. Standing alone on the opposite touchline was Kevin Sheedy, in charge of the Blackburn team.

I said to my son, Hinchcliffe wasn’t fit to lace Sheedy’s boots yet nobody is interested in him. I was chuffed at the end when my lad ran across the pitch to chat with Sheedy and get his autograph.

Wicked cross on him, always liked him as a player.

Yes good player, big part of the 1995 cup winners and also got a few England caps just after Euro 96. I just assumed it was a bit like Speed, personality clash with Kendall and also needing to flog anyone decent in those times to pay the bills (how times change).

Actually the collapse in form under Royle in 96/97 can be tracing to him suffering an ACL in December 1996.

Going to Sheff Weds was hardly a step up and he had to retire a year or two later with an injury as they declined.