Who could replace Martinez ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst football under Moyes is better than what we've seen this season. When Moyes had good players fit and in form the football was great. Jags and Lescott solid in defense, Baines bombing on, Arteta Pienaar Osman pinging it around Cahill and Yakubu knocking it in. Great to watch.

When the board sold his best players, or he had injuries and was left with the dross beneath the first team the football was rubbish.

The difference was Moyes wasn't stupid enough to try and make a midfield of Neville Heitibga and Rodwell play the same way as a midfield of Arteta Pienaar and Cahill.

Ultimately the difference in the squads is crucial. Moyes had a decent first 11 for about 3 of his 11 seasons. He never had a good squad. He once went three transfer windows without one signing with a fee as first team players were sold off.

Martinez inherited Moyes' best 11 and then has been given the budget to spend 30 mill on a striker. He can leave players like Gibson and Pienaar, two of Moyes' crucial players out of the squad completely. Rather than selling top stars Martinez has been able to give them top contracts.

There is no excuse for Martinez to be performing like he is. Moyes knew how to bounce back and stop a rot. Martinez has not shown he can do this yet.

I agree with some of what you say about Moyes, and for me, finishing 4th with the team he had in 05 was an incredible achievement. However, don't fall into the trap of thinking that Martinez has been handed the riches after years of spending nothing. The guy has sold over 40m worth of players. He has spent about 8m net. Compared to most teams in the league, that's really not much to play with.

Well his team did beat Barca last night. I can't see us beating them.

btw - I want to keep Martinez but that was a great result.

Yes it was a great result but it was atypical Everton performance under Moyes - get a goal then concede possession , go deeper and deeper with no out ball and defend for your life.

Last night it worked and was great for him but it reminded me so much of some of the turgid tactics that we used to see under him

I want Martinez to stay. But McClaren wouldn't be an awful choice and has done well at Derby. It would be a nice fit. Wouldn't be my choice mind.

I agree with some of what you say about Moyes, and for me, finishing 4th with the team he had in 05 was an incredible achievement. However, don't fall into the trap of thinking that Martinez has been handed the riches after years of spending nothing. The guy has sold over 40m worth of players. He has spent about 8m net. Compared to most teams in the league, that's really not much to play with.

I'm not saying Martinez has spent loads. All iam saying is that he got the money tobuy Lukaku plus his wages, Barry's wages, McCarthy plus wages, Etoos wages, nee deals for Barkley Stones and Coleman. None of these will be cheap. Moyes had to fight tooth and nail to get our absolute stars like Arteta onto 70k a week. Barkley is probably picking up close to that for producing nothing.

Martinez might not have inherited a blank chequebook but he got a top 6 squad from Moyes with the gifts of Barkley and Stones, and was allowed to reinvest all of his sales on some big playees with high wages. He should be doing a lot better no question.

Personally I think if Martinez sorts his sh*t out and turns our season back around, instilling confidence and form into the team then I will have the utmost faith in him from then on to turn dodgy periods around. I just need to see that happen first before I can believe it because all this nonsense of him having no plan B is quite plain to see, i'd like to see him just try it and prove us all wrong.

If he's here next season i'm relatively excited to see what happens to the squad, so many players we have are useless now. Weird.

I'm not saying Martinez has spent loads. All iam saying is that he got the money tobuy Lukaku plus his wages, Barry's wages, McCarthy plus wages, Etoos wages, nee deals for Barkley Stones and Coleman. None of these will be cheap. Moyes had to fight tooth and nail to get our absolute stars like Arteta onto 70k a week. Barkley is probably picking up close to that for producing nothing.

Martinez might not have inherited a blank chequebook but he got a top 6 squad from Moyes with the gifts of Barkley and Stones, and was allowed to reinvest all of his sales on some big playees with high wages. He should be doing a lot better no question.

Yep, Martinez should be doing better, but he shouldn't necessarily be doing better than Moyes. You inherit the squad that you inherit. Martinez did well to get young players in good contracts early on, but my argument is that Moyes could have sold all of those players for 40m and reinvested it the same way Martinez did if he was still here. Although we don't stop hearing about the new tv money etc etc, I don't think Martinez is really in a better financial position than Moyes was.

Also, you referred to Barkley as being a player who produces nothing to make one point, then named him as a gift to back up the same point.. Which is he?

Is is it time to dip in to the vaults and see which Martinez fanboy suggested Steve Mclaren in 2013?

He could be available

If we replaced martinez then id like to see a young manager who forward plans, a little moyes esq so to speak.

a manager who likes to attack but when it comes to chelsea city type games actually plots how to stop them and how to attack against them. Not simply hang on for 90 minutes and not go all out on them, just simply this is how we stop them, and this is how we win the game.

Stlye and philosophy is all well and good but unless our manager is out thinking his opponents then it wont lead anywhere for us. This isnt fifa, martinez cant stick all his best players on the pitch and expect us to win by default.

If we replaced martinez then id like to see a young manager who forward plans, a little moyes esq so to speak.

a manager who likes to attack but when it comes to chelsea city type games actually plots how to stop them and how to attack against them. Not simply hang on for 90 minutes and not go all out on them, just simply this is how we stop them, and this is how we win the game.

Stlye and philosophy is all well and good but unless our manager is out thinking his opponents then it wont lead anywhere for us. This isnt fifa, martinez cant stick all his best players on the pitch and expect us to win by default.

Martinez is a young manager.

He also did what your hoping this new Martinez could do last season against Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea. Besides that his greatest ever achievement was masterminding Wigan doing it against the massively favoured City in a great cup final.

Martinez is a young manager.

He also did what your hoping this new Martinez could do last season against Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea. Besides that his greatest ever achievement was masterminding Wigan doing it against the massively favoured City in a great cup final.

but at the same time sent the troops out for 38 games and got them relegated in the process.

Its a weakness he has and its a weakness that is showing through this season now he has more than one focus. It strikes me as less of a one game at a time approach but a we play lille in two weeks, oh wait theres a game between now and then, just go out and try and win boys.

We just arent even fearing the other team either, we just look like we cant be arsed and have no idea what we are doing. A far difference between that and 10 players schooled on what to do for 90 minutes depending on the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back