Who would you replace Lampard with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is like banging my head against a wall

1) We are getting better results this season compared to the second half of last season
2) The eye test tells me that not only are we getting better results, we are more deserving of those results. Much more difficult to beat
3) We literally lost our best attacking player from last season and replaced him with......Dwight McNeil
4) For the 8-10 games we were either playing with no striker at all, or with Solomon Rondon. A guy that wouldn't be dominating the MLS

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand that Frank has us moving in the right direction.

I'd like to play like Pep as well, but we don't have the talent for that

The time to question Frank is after another summer of signings, and see how we are playing next season. If we still have no idea what we're doing in attack, then we can have that conversation at that point
This isn't true!

We got 20 points from 18 last season. We have 14 from 13 this year. Just divide them!

The rest of what you're saying is fine and I agree with most of it. But the framing of "it's working despite these issues" just isn't true. There are issues and it is also not working.

This is like banging my head against a wall

1) We are getting better results this season compared to the second half of last season
2) The eye test tells me that not only are we getting better results, we are more deserving of those results. Much more difficult to beat
3) We literally lost our best attacking player from last season and replaced him with......Dwight McNeil
4) For the 8-10 games we were either playing with no striker at all, or with Solomon Rondon. A guy that wouldn't be dominating the MLS

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand that Frank has us moving in the right direction.

I'd like to play like Pep as well, but we don't have the talent for that

The time to question Frank is after another summer of signings, and see how we are playing next season. If we still have no idea what we're doing in attack, then we can have that conversation at that point

Don’t do it to yourself mate.

He‘ll still be here this time tomorrow, arguing that some unknown Norwegian cardigan wearer, should be the next manager.

This isn't true!

We got 20 points from 18 last season. We have 14 from 13 this year. Just divide them!

The rest of what you're saying is fine and I agree with most of it. But the framing of "it's working despite these issues" just isn't true. There are issues and it is also not working.
See points 3 and 4 for why that's the case. Really puts into focus how Richarlison put us on his back last season. Essentially by himself and with nothing short of a miraculous effort from Pickford

See points 3 and 4 for why that's the case. Really puts into focus how Richarlison put us on his back last season. Essentially by himself and with nothing short of a miraculous effort from Pickford
Pickford has been massive. I think he's actually been even more important this year. And yes we miss Richarlison because the replacement isn't good. Also should have sold Gordon and gotten a real attacker in but I digress.

Point being you can come up with excuses and some are valid. I don't think it is so clear that we're actually better though.

This isn't true!

We had only played Utd away out of the the really difficult fixtures in the league at this stage last year, the next toughest was City on 21st of Nov.

This season we have played, Spurs, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool and a resurgent 200 mill Newcastle.

Its not linear.

This isn't true!

But we're losing much fewer than we were. That to me is a big sign of improvement for this team. Dropped from 55% losses to 38%.

That's massively important to a club like ours.

We had only played Utd away out of the the really difficult fixtures in the league at this stage last year, the next toughest was City on 21st of Nov.

This season we have played, Spurs, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool and a resurgent 200 mill Newcastle.

Its not linear.
This was the second half of last year versus the start of this. Entirely games under Lampard.

So you mean to tell me Lamps should've come in and made a team with 0 wins in 20 games into top 5 in the span of 1 night?

OK mate.
No what I'm telling you is the narrative that we're better now isn't backed up by anything substantive. If you think the foundation of the team is defensive security you can make the case we're better and many people are more than happy to do that. At the minute it isn't leading to better play, at least in the way I'd define it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back