Who would you sell at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osman, McGeady, Hibbert, Kone, Gibson, Howard (going already).

Just the usual suspects. Pretty much the dead wood in our squad. Time to put faith in youth players and give them more experience in the first team. Risky thing to do playing youth players but worth a shot!

Barry completely a system player and we lose a lot to accomodate what he does well

Naisse - just don't think the lad is cut out for it at this level - sell before everyone else who may buy him off us figures out the exact same thing s

Barry has been one of our best players this season, we seen on Saturday how much we miss him, also Tim Vickery said that type of thing about Mori!!

Barry has been one of our best players this season, we seen on Saturday how much we miss him, also Tim Vickery said that type of thing about Mori!!

Mate in my posts i said right at the start IF Martinez goes what i'd like to see, Barry is essential due to martinez being shockign at organising any shape or defensive structure and when he is missing we look woeful, new manager wouldn't need a 36yo player as a safety net to disguise his failings

As for naisse - time will show us how good he is

Howard we know is already going

I would release everyone who's contract is expiring at the end of the season, maybe offer Hibbert and Osman coaching roles in the Academy

I'd sell Mirallas and McGeady, maybe even Kone too

As for incomings, a top drawer keeper, Yarmolenko, another CB and a better quality back up for Rom

Most importantly is swapping managers, whatever happens with the cup shouldn't change the opinion that our league form is not good enough and Roberto should pay the price for that
01.webp

I'd really like to know why... not to argue, but I'd be interested. It might be outside the box, but I could understand if you were worried about a system too reliant upon one person. We've seen what happened the the R.S. when they lost Suarez (though Sturridge has been injured, I think the attention Suarez drew made him look better). If Lukaku goes down, who do we have? Kone (oh dear)? Niasse (yet to be proven)?

I don't agree about selling Lukaku, but as I said, would love to know your reasoning.

It’s a hard one to explain, and even harder off the back of his best season for us, so excuse me if this is a little long-winded.

Unlike some on here, I won’t claim to be a master tactician with all the answers that are apparently staring Martinez in the face. For all the sniping we do at each other, I think @nsno-chris is on the button when he puts bad results down to a chronic lack to pressing. Where we disagree, is where on the pitch that shortcoming is killing us.

When I think of our attacking players, from our widemen up, Aaron Lennon is the only one I can see who not only identifies problems high up the pitch, and also has the energy and pace to do something about it. Lukaku, for all his hard work, rarely wins the ball high up the field, and his poor control often puts us in dangerous situations. Barkley is similar, a behemoth going forward, but not fast or clever enough to put pressure on opposition defenders at opportunistic moments. I like Cleverley, but he’s very much in the same vein, with only a fraction of Rom or Ross’s attacking talent. Deulofeu’s reluctance to track back is well documented.

What we’re left with is a forward line of what are essentially luxury players. When it goes well, we look amazing. When it doesn’t, it’s open season in our midfield and we’re as brittle as a twig. From what I can see, there are two main problems with this.

a) We’re giving Barry and McCarthy way too much to do, and giving out about them whenever they can’t do it

b) We make very few goal scoring chances from basic opportunism, seizing on bad back-passes, dispossessing a defender high up the field, forcing errors etc.

You mention Lukaku in the same breath as Suarez but, for me, there’s no comparison to be had. As good as Lukaku is, Suarez is on a different level and, from what I can see, always will be. If the midfield isn’t providing, Lukaku waits. Suarez makes his own chances happen. Lukaku wants to score goals. Suarez wants to win. Liverpool have now thrown away more points from winning positions than us, and that’s because their attacking players are just as ineffective at defending high up the field as we are.

It comes down to personnel. You can have 1 or 2 dedicated attacking players up front, but not your entire front line. It’s especially hard when your striker has very little by way of hold up technique. Something has to give. Ross is a good lad and a great player who loves the club. Rom wants to play Champions League wherever and, in the right setup, is most certainly good enough to do so. I know which one I want to keep.

Even Martinez’ detractors say he’s got some eye for talent but a terrible system. What if it’s the other way around? What if it’s a good system, but he himself is identifying some of the wrong personnel to carry it out, and pure talent is obscuring it? From what I can see, we need more energy and guile up there, not just attacking flair. Our team value is skyrocketing, but there’s a lack of synergy in the team that would trouble any manager. I think it only needs one or two tweaks, personally, because we have seen how it looks when it clicks. I reckon one of those tweaks is a striker with less bounce in their shins and the ability to tackle and dispossess.

I have to clarify, I think Rom is a great lad, a very good player and a tireless worker. But I feel both parties would be better served by a transfer this summer, provided we bring in a suitable replacement.

It’s a hard one to explain, and even harder off the back of his best season for us, so excuse me if this is a little long-winded.

Unlike some on here, I won’t claim to be a master tactician with all the answers that are apparently staring Martinez in the face. For all the sniping we do at each other, I think @nsno-chris is on the button when he puts bad results down to a chronic lack to pressing. Where we disagree, is where on the pitch that shortcoming is killing us.

When I think of our attacking players, from our widemen up, Aaron Lennon is the only one I can see who not only identifies problems high up the pitch, and also has the energy and pace to do something about it. Lukaku, for all his hard work, rarely wins the ball high up the field, and his poor control often puts us in dangerous situations. Barkley is similar, a behemoth going forward, but not fast or clever enough to put pressure on opposition defenders at opportunistic moments. I like Cleverley, but he’s very much in the same vein, with only a fraction of Rom or Ross’s attacking talent. Deulofeu’s reluctance to track back is well documented.

What we’re left with is a forward line of what are essentially luxury players. When it goes well, we look amazing. When it doesn’t, it’s open season in our midfield and we’re as brittle as a twig. From what I can see, there are two main problems with this.

a) We’re giving Barry and McCarthy way too much to do, and giving out about them whenever they can’t do it

b) We make very few goal scoring chances from basic opportunism, seizing on bad back-passes, dispossessing a defender high up the field, forcing errors etc.

You mention Lukaku in the same breath as Suarez but, for me, there’s no comparison to be had. As good as Lukaku is, Suarez is on a different level and, from what I can see, always will be. If the midfield isn’t providing, Lukaku waits. Suarez makes his own chances happen. Lukaku wants to score goals. Suarez wants to win. Liverpool have now thrown away more points from winning positions than us, and that’s because their attacking players are just as ineffective at defending high up the field as we are.

It comes down to personnel. You can have 1 or 2 dedicated attacking players up front, but not your entire front line. It’s especially hard when your striker has very little by way of hold up technique. Something has to give. Ross is a good lad and a great player who loves the club. Rom wants to play Champions League wherever and, in the right setup, is most certainly good enough to do so. I know which one I want to keep.

Even Martinez’ detractors say he’s got some eye for talent but a terrible system. What if it’s the other way around? What if it’s a good system, but he himself is identifying some of the wrong personnel to carry it out, and pure talent is obscuring it? From what I can see, we need more energy and guile up there, not just attacking flair. Our team value is skyrocketing, but there’s a lack of synergy in the team that would trouble any manager. I think it only needs one or two tweaks, personally, because we have seen how it looks when it clicks. I reckon one of those tweaks is a striker with less bounce in their shins and the ability to tackle and dispossess.

I have to clarify, I think Rom is a great lad, a very good player and a tireless worker. But I feel both parties would be better served by a transfer this summer, provided we bring in a suitable replacement.
Tl;Dr

Gibbo,Hibbert,Kone,Peanut and Mirralles.
Throw in Duncan F,and Martinez's assistant....aka...the man with no name..

Everyone's who out of contract except Osman, who I think deserves to stay in some capacity, potentially coaching the academy like other ex-players

Agree, although i'm sure he's said that he would like to carry on playing, if he meant us i don't know but can't see him hanging up his boots just yet.

i cant understand the people wanting mirralles to leave...a top drawer wideman with goals in him.ok this season his temperament has been called into question..but yours would too if you were sat on the bench with arouna kone and tom cleverly on the pitch...got himself back in the team,gave a man of the match performance then got red carded..i personally want to see him get a run of games into the end of the season.
sell piennar...i still remember how he jumped ship as soon as he had a sniff from tottenham,plus his best days are gone in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back