Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its difficult to know with young players how much they've improved because of the manager and how much is just them being good players reaching an age where they can play so it might be Lampard developing them or it might just be that he was in charge when they hit their stride its hard to tell. Thats not to rubbish the idea of Lampard its just that I think people are thinking he'd come in and do the same here but if the quality of player isn't the same he probably won't.

James was playing at Wigan, Mount was playing at Derby. They were good players clearly, but becoming european cup winners inside a couple of years doesn't happen at a click of the fingers.

We need points on the board, DF has enough about him to get points early on while we look for a full time replacement and are safe in the prem.
I think Dunc’s MO would suffice in the short term but get found out fairly soon. Get him in, get to safety then whack him back in the dug out
Why does everyone think Ferguson as a temp would guarantee a few good results? He did before yes, but lightning rarely strikes twice.

DE6393AF-9615-4BA2-BFCD-D1CADACB6432.jpg

Lampard has got top 4 in the PL before and managed under the pressure of a huge club. I also feel he will probably have learned a lot from being in that Chelsea dressing room, and he will know how to avoid mistakes in future. I'm not against Rooney, but I do favour Frank based on his first season at Chelsea, and the fact he clearly improved players like James and Mount, to the point where they became CL winners so after.

I was against Lampard initially and am still concerned about the defensive setup he had at Chelsea.

@Eggs nailed it earlier when he said that he could be a better long term option, while Rooney probably gives more of an immediate bounce.

With Lampard he comes across as a 'thinker' and will be aware of the mistakes hes made and has the contacts and background to logically work through them.

I could imagine him building something and growing and improving over time into a top manager. He comes across as pure class as well.

With Rooney, he may be brilliant for the season...but he's going to be football minded rather than someone perhaps who Id say would be a squad builder...so he would likely need a strong DOF to support him.

That's a cracking point.

Learned under a master. That's a big advantage he has over any other mentioned.
Phil and Gary Neville also learned under a master. Tony Adams and Thiery Henry had time under Wenger. And countless Assistant Manager's went off and failed to replicate what they learned under a master.
i like potter too

also open to WR, Alex Ferguson wasn't a tactical genius, a lot of his management style was getting good players and shooting rockets up their arsez, think WM would just replicate what he learned by a long spell under him. Think it comes down to intensity and fight with him, plus he had attacking vision as a player but I dont think hes the type to study the game like RM and Potter (the Pep G model)

I wouldn't mind a little bit of grit as our competitive edge

tough one
I don't think that's true.

AF was a strict disciplinarian but if you can't see the constant adjustments he made as he built and rebuilt sides then you aren't looking. Whenever an important player left/finished such as Cantona, Beckham or Scholes he never went like for like. Always found a different way as he had the tactical nous to know you can't put a square peg in a round hole.

And I'm certain that the likes of Potter or Guardiola are more than capable of putting rockets up player's arses when needed. In fact I reckon Guardiola is probably one of the biggest pains in the backside to work under.

James was playing at Wigan, Mount was playing at Derby. They were good players clearly, but becoming european cup winners inside a couple of years doesn't happen at a click of the fingers.
No but it doesn't mean he improved them or at least any more than anyone else would just like I wouldn't say Moyes definitely improved Rooney or Martinez definitely improved Stones its difficult to know how much is just them being that good naturally but only just getting in the team.

I was against Lampard initially and am still concerned about the defensive setup he had at Chelsea.

@Eggs nailed it earlier when he said that he could be a better long term option, while Rooney probably gives more of an immediate bounce.

With Lampard he comes across as a 'thinker' and will be aware of the mistakes hes made and has the contacts and background to logically work through them.

I could imagine him building something and growing and improving over time into a top manager. He comes across as pure class as well.

With Rooney, he may be brilliant for the season...but he's going to be football minded rather than someone perhaps who Id say would be a squad builder...so he would likely need a strong DOF to support him.

I prefer the longer term approach and think Lampard can bring it. I wouldn't say for sure Wayne isn't capable of offering that though. I don't think we can be sure about Rooney's footballing and managerial capabilities. He's the smartest footballer I've ever seen on the pitch so it's not impossible that he can bring some of that to management.

Tellingly he also brought mount to derby and trusted him. Have to say his development was squarely down to Lampard really

No but it doesn't mean he improved them or at least any more than anyone else would just like I wouldn't say Moyes definitely improved Rooney or Martinez definitely improved Stones its difficult to know how much is just them being that good naturally but only just getting in the team.

I personally think Lampard deserves credit for their development. But at the very least he gave them the opportunity to play and that's more than lots of coaches do. There is a caution in this country to let kids have a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.