Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is true - this is what I’ve wanted the club to do for a long time;

“There is a feeling within the Everton boardroom that it is time to make an inventive appointment rather than go with someone just because they are tried and tested in the Premier League”

Hard to say because I assume he must have been good to get Bayern to take him from Frankfurt.

So if you are saying would I have taken him straight after Frankfurt, the fact that Bayern did so answers your question.
Well he won the cup with Frankfurt, beating Bayern in the final. Bayern's hierarchy saw him as a coach that could be 'up and coming' to replace Heynckes after he stepped in following Ancelotti's sacking, and he also played for the club so he knew how it worked etc. But he didn't have the man management for it and his tactics weren't up to much either - Frankfurt arguably got better under Adi Hutter, his replacement. Even that Spurs game, 3 of their goals IIRC were just brilliant Gnabry runs/finishes.

He left Frankfurt in 2018 and has now just been sacked by Monaco. He's a very Benitez type of manager in how he plays the game and I think we need to get away from that, personally.

I’d have Lampard over Rooney if they were the choices.

Lampard is an intelligent fella. And Rooney, well. Let’s just say being repeatedly caught with your pants down on an almost annual basis, doesn’t give me much hope for what’s going on up there.
As a manager Rooney is highly thought of for his coaching by people in the game. He's definitely more highly thought of than Lampard.

It’s just totally different levels though in experience isn’t it.

Kovac with all that experience of big games, big players , pressure situations - and Rooney who had a dreadful run at Derby end of last season, and yes - massive kudos to him- he has done well this season…but under no pressure and zero expectations. He’d be straight into a pressure cooker here.

Rooney wouldn’t be in the running if he hadn’t the affinity with us, hasn’t done his coaching badges and I just think with this appointment - which is crucial to our existence imo - that the board need to play the percentages and get someone with the best cv possible to keep us up.
Like I said I don't particularly want Rooney. But that doesn't make Kovac the answer either.

Kovac had 'experience' of managing big players and did it badly and was sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back