Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend who supports Milan said to stay clear of the Roma guy they have barely been able to spend for 3 years and stuff.

VERY unpopular opinion, but Moshiri was actually the "perfect" owner in some ways.

He invested huge sums to prop up the spending.
He got his companies to spend huge sums on propping up our revenues.
He "built" a brand new Stadium.

What more could we truly ask of an owner?
He made some dumb moves (777) but it was Russia going to war that screwed him.

PSR means it doesn't matter how much money the owner has, so can we please just get the most competent one who will make us good
Be nice if we had owners wealthy enough and sound enough to clear some of our existing debt though, which is currently what’s restricting us the most.

Buyers that need “backing” from outside sources gives me the fear a bit, as that’s just adding more debt onto the bonfire surely?

PSR means it doesn't matter how much money the owner has, so can we please just get the most competent one who will make us good

Newcastle didn't go from being a yoyo club to one challenging the top 4 on wishes and prayers my friend.

Bruno Guimarães, Botman, Gordon, Isak etc weren't brought in for peanuts.

Aston Villa another who have benefited from wealthy owners who have invested.

Declaring we dont need money is sincerely naive.

In our position it does though. The more an owner can tip his/her own money in rather than borrowing, just in the short term until we are self sustaining, the lower our interest costs (currently tens of millions per year). Once the stadium is built this interest can’t be capitalised, it’s straight to the P&L, and under current rules, that affects what we can spend.

Ignoring oligarchs etc. and just talking competent billionaires, the more personally wealthy and successful the owner, the more contacts, more experience, more advisors, the more scope for legitimate business partnerships and sponsorships. The Dell bloke isn’t picking players, but if they do front up hundreds of millions, be amazed if they don’t have some implants to protect the investment return, even at board level.

Once we steady the ship, then yes, we’ll be in the same situation as Villa etc and the owner wealth won’t mean anything. Selling our best young players to United every year. But in the meantime, a massive slug of wealth would be useful.

Newcastle didn't go from being a yoyo club to one challenging the top 4 on wishes and prayers my friend.

Bruno Guimarães, Botman, Gordon, Isak etc weren't brought in for peanuts.

Aston Villa another who have benefited from wealthy owners who have invested.

Declaring we dont need money is sincerely naive.

we’ve had money and spent it badly

so hopefully a proper board and a plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back