Why do Americans favour Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebastardo

Player Valuation: £40m
I think the title says it all lads.
Even before Donovan, we had a good support from the American folks.
Is it because we toured there?
Is it because we were underdogs for years but still managed to scrape a bite of the bone?

Pray tell. :)

1. Americans have had a record of success and been given chances. Brian McBride, Joe Max Moore, Timothy Howard and now Landon Donovan.
2. Underdogs.
3. Amazing fans.
4. Americans value work-rate, team spirit, unpretentiousness, things which Everton have in bundles.
5. The smurfs were every child's favorite cartoon stateside, they all grew up with a hankering for all things blue.

I was chosen last summer (2009). Actually it was before the summer around the FA cup final. I never supported a club in the prem. Me becoming an Everton fan was actually a combination of things. I loved how we played and how we went about business (bringing up players through youth system and not paying huge money). It was also because I liked playing as Everton in FIFA 09(chose to play as them because of Howard). That is how I got to know most of the squad.

Once a blue, always a blue (y)

Hopefully I will be able to go to a match or two later in life at a renovated Goodison Park. :D

Why are our fans amazing?
Are we different to other fans?

On all the American soccer blogs/forums everyone was talking about how well LD was treated by us when he scored last weekend. Everton Fans are class and Goodison can get loud as ****.

There is also this. American fans have always regarded the EPL as the top of the top. A goal that our players, always were told that we could not attain. We were not good enough, not skillful, did not have the pace to survive. Well maybe our goalies, and a couple of other that never had a huge following, BUT when you embraced LD, you embraced the states.

It told us that we did not suk as a "football" nation. That a player we produced had pace, skill and was accepted. We were accepted.

A bit sappy, but true.

It was so good that it was Everton. A classy team, one on an upward projection, and one that us underdog loving Americans could identify with.

And the Everton fans? Can you, Everton, imagine LD playing at home in CONCACAF? The fans are overwhelming in their support for the away team. LD had an experience with Everton that he has rarely had for his home CONCACAF games in the states.

Last edited:
Do I take it many of you here are LA Galaxy fans?

I remember Beckham wasn't the fans favourite for a while when he came back from his loan spell.

What makes things different now Landon has taken a similar step?

Will the fans adopt a similar stance, or are the 2 scenarios completely different?

Sorry for the questions, but sincerely curious, and interested in gaining an insight.

Got to retire now, but will read any replies tomorrow. (y)

The fact that Beckham did not come back to the Galaxy was not the problem that LD had with him, yes the fans, but not with Donovan.

Donovan gave up his captains armband because Beckhams handlers would not have him play if he were not the captain. LD gave it up, only to see Beckham live a lavish lifestyle while most of his teammates were struggling to pay for gas to get to the field. When there were team dinners Beckham never helped pay for them, and LD hated that. He did not feel that Beckham was really a team captain, just one in name only. Beckham lived on another planet than the MLS players.

I read the book and it was all laid out, but in the end LD and Beckham got together and basically played the Galaxy into the playoffs. Their play together was incredible. They were on a totally different page then the rest of the MLS players and their videos show that.

As far as US fans goes, including those for the Galaxy. About 85% never want LD to ever wear anything but Everton, or come back to the MLS.

We love a class team, we love a class team that likes our players, (Howard and LD), we love a class team that could take it next year, we love Everton for all of the above reasons.

I have to say that I love Everton, even though LD did not get into the game into the 60th something minute, that you all played fantastic soccer and and really are the best in the EPL right now, regardless of what the tables say. And all comers, after LD leaves, or maybe stays, will be taking notice that the Blues are the best.

Last edited:

I remember Beckham wasn't the fans favourite for a while when he came back from his loan spell.

What makes things different now Landon has taken a similar step?

Will the fans adopt a similar stance, or are the 2 scenarios completely different?

Sorry for the questions, but sincerely curious, and interested in gaining an insight.

Got to retire now, but will read any replies tomorrow. (y)

different scenarios--
LD gives effort, plays hard, earned his salary, scored goals in bundles, loves LA, was/is in his prime, does not do underwear commercials, plays for the NATs, etc, etc, etc, etc...

LD is/will always be galaxy...he owes us/mls nothing
will miss him if/when a deal happens...but would be thrilled for him if he was to become a blue (y)

i've always wondered this, especially after joining this forum where prolly about 50% of posters are americans.

Well my reason for falling into Blue waters was mainly due to EFC's history with American players.. Joe Max Moore, Brian McBride, Timmy and LD.. "Cody Arnoux, Anton Peterlin"

And most importantly EFC reminds me of a blue collar team unlike the top 4 who I see as snobs really... I like hard working underdogs teams in all sports.. EFC is not really underdogs, but the boys work hard and the fans are class...

Why do I think the fans are class? well alot of Europeans have nasty things to say about Americans, whether it be in Football, Politics, Diet, blah blah blah... Here on the GOT we only get that occasionaly :P

PS.. Does anyone watch the reserve games and see the two young lads mentioned above? are they progressing?

Decided back after the World Cup (06) that I wanted to start following the Prem League. I didn't want a team in the big 4, didn't think that was right to just choose a huge payroll team. Wanted a team with a storied history and one that had a major rival.

Then Tim Cahill had a ridiculous world cup, followed by the fact that Everton's keeper is a yank and that sold me.

While I thought I had picked Everton, I was chosen long before.

I don't know when I first really took note of Everton, but it was probably around the time Tim Howard went on loan to you guys, if not slightly before. I'm a big fan of Arteta and Cahill. The last two years I also liked Lescott, because he came through in some big games.

Someone said blue collar versus the snobbery of bigger clubs. I don't call it snobbery, but I admire that you guys have to work to get your team in the shape it is, rather than just shelling out the cash for massive acquisitions.

Another 'blue collar' aspect is just working through your problems. You shift some players around and they're expected to perform, and they often come through for you. This team just gets out there and says "We've got to get results regardless."

And, of course, I was shocked to see how you guys immediately took to LD, and I have really appreciated witnessing the increasing respect you have for him.

I have always respected Landon but I despise everything LA wise. That goes before even having the Sounders find me.

As for Everton, I like the work effort, the effort to play football rather than hoofball, lack of dirty play, the openness to giving Americans a try, the enthusiastic nature of the supporters(which makes me believe that everyone would be fun to hang out with in the neighboring pubs as well as at the stadium).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back