Why do Americans favour Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whhat a bunch'a come-lately's!
j/k
I first noted Everton when I followed Brad Friedel from the Crew to the enemy Reds. Of course I 'engaged' the on-line fan base, but on most posts was rebuffed and vilified. Not being able to watch the matches, I none-the-less promoted the concept that Friedel was much the better keeper than the cry-baby James. So, you can just imagine.
Well.. you know NOW who was right.

Next I followed McBride from Crew to the loan at PNE. Those fans were great and listened to me on what McBride could do for them.
I also picked up an appreciation for David Moyes, of course.

Then McBride came to Everton and once again I was treated well on the MB's without the ******s ****ging me every chance they got.
Of course when McBride went to Fulham, I followed him there, this time I got a LOT of relatively good natured jabs... but by people who could actually form a sentence on a keyboard without a misspell or an F-Bomb.

I'm not a great Donovan fan but I always knew there was more to his abilities than suggested by his 'career' failures in the BL.
So, my reasons for interest...

Moyes
NOT Liverpool
'underdog' with heart
Donovan
Fans, not yob ******s
Fans respect Fulham, unlike SPurts and 'Arsen'-holes.

Oh... one of my favorite political bloggers is a long-time Everton fan

Oh.. add to that.. when Everton comes to US, they come to PLAY the game. Unlike every other midtable club, except West Ham. That's what MLS fans WANT! Sadly even my Fulham didnt, in 2005, and got their butts whipped.

Last edited:
I think the title says it all lads.
Even before Donovan, we had a good support from the American folks.
Is it because we toured there?
Is it because we were underdogs for years but still managed to scrape a bite of the bone?

Pray tell. :)

I was an everton fan before Donovan and even before Howard. Beyond all the intangibles, it seemed wrong to support one of the other clubs just because they have the best players and lots of money. It bothered me when people living near me at home cheered for teams like the Dallas Cowboys or New England Patriots when they were good, and i didn't want to infuriate overseas football fans in the same way. To be honest when i was looking at teams to support, I did briefly consider liverpool, but that didn't last long.

I wish I could give a clear answer on this subject, now that I am a fan I could give you a thousand reasons why I love the team, but as for why I first became a fan, its very difficult to put it into words, its as though things sort of clicked into place. I guess the inexplicable nature of our support is just part of the magic

To be honest when i was looking at teams to support, I did briefly consider liverpool, but that didn't last long.

As did I. When I went to summer camp in Massachusetts, two of my counselors were from England and huuuuuge Liverpool fans. They were the first Euro team I had ever heard of.

As did I. When I went to summer camp in Massachusetts, two of my counselors were from England and huuuuuge Liverpool fans. They were the first Euro team I had ever heard of.

Make that three of us that briefly considered being a rs fan. My friend that got me into football is a kopite. But I never felt the way I do about Everton when I would watch a Liverpool game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back