Why do Americans favour Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see, what our other side of the pond dwelling cousins are really impressed with is our blue collar stuff, working class Partisan values.

FORZA PARTISAN.

Two words

THE FONZ.

Last time he was in Big Al's he ordered a chilli pastie and while he was waiting for his order he went over to the jukebox, gave it a nudge and 'spirit of the blues' came on, and it's been said that whilst at the Empire he was heard from within the dressing room singing "I found my love....on Prince Ruperts' Hill."

Ant and Dec

Stallone made it happen.

There are thousands of threads here to spam. :dodgy:

A post from big soccer

This I think pretty much sums up what the soccer fans in the US think. From a forum on that board about LD.

I would greatly prefer Donovan staying with Everton. I don't want him to go back to the Galaxy - he's done everything for them and the league. I don't want him to go to Chelsea, where he'd struggle to get PT. Plus, I love Everton and it's fans, and think the world of Moyes as a manager. I've been extremely impressed with the whole situation there.

I really, really hope that Bruce, the Gals, and MLS see the big picture here. In my humble opinion, Donovan playing in the EPL with Everton is worth more to MLS than Donovan playing with the Galaxy. With the Gals, Donovan has done everything - league MVP, league scoring title, two MLS cups - and would continue to be a big fish in a small pond. But with Everton, the sky's the limit. Donovan's success there would be (and is, in fact) a huge bonanza for MLS's reputation and credibility for being an attractive, quality product, and for attracting new talent and new fans.

They should extend the loan to the end of the season. Then they should look at selling Donovan to Everton for a reasonable fee. At 28, Donovan's market value is somewhat limited now, in terms of what Euro clubs are going to be willing to shell out for him. And that is only going to diminish as Landon gets older.

The flip side is that MLS plays hard ball and doesn't extend the loan, and tries to inflate the asking price. This tactic could blow up in their face. They'll get the rep of holding back a talent from reaching his true potential, and in the process get a bad rep for a destination for other talent. Also, it would be bad publicity for the league if they are perceived by USA fans for holding back the USA's biggest star from excelling in the best league in the world.

So please MLS/Galaxy/Bruce Arena. Ask for a reasonable fee for loan extension, and then a reasonable transfer fee after the WC.

I remember back in the day when the only American association with Everton was having a Hot Dog with mustard at the Old lady during the interval. :mellow:

I don't think it's right to say 'why do americans favor Everton', I know Moyes said the people on the street support the team, but I'm not buying into the fact you turn up at some bar in Salt Lake City at one in the morning and there's a chorus of Z Cars or 'yanks' with Sheedy or Mountfield tops in the vicinity.

When I first signed up over a year ago, I'm 90 per cent right in thinking that I was one, out of say four of five American participants and now a year on, it's like that scene in Gremlins where if you get them wet or feed them after midnight we just multiply and before you know they're all over the shop.

I must stop snacking in the early hours. :blink:

It's a little late to think but I believe the first big name that got involved was Max Moore some ten years back or more and others have come along slowly ever since, what with Donovan and Howard now in the side of course it's going to swell in numbers.

It would of been interesting to see if Moyes had gone after Viduka, kewell or Emerton to join up with Cahill than half of Melbourne would be signing up for pizzas and such.

Just a thought.

Well, where do I start?

Played football here in town with an ex-pat who supported Everton. Didn't know jack about them until meeting him. Then come to find out that Joe-Max Moore played for Everton and I was big on following American players in Europe.

One thing leads to another and bingo bango, I'm chosen.

Started in '98 under the last few years of the Walter Smith reign and that was rough but when Kenwright hired Moyes, I didn't know who he was at all. Once I saw the presser and he had the "People's Club" quote, I knew he was the guy for the job.

The one thing over the years that has struck me about Everton and what stands out between us and all of the other clubs can be summed up in one word:

Class

There's something about Everton, their history, the players they've had play for them, their supporters, etc... that just fits. Again, the chosen part comes to mind. Everton doesn't have the arrogance that many of the other clubs and their supporters have. We hate losing but we're gracious losers as opposed to other clubs. Our manager doesn't blame everyone else when things don't work. Our players aren't "Big Time Charlies" as Lee Carsley once said. Our supporters are good sensible people. Not glory hunting bandwagon fans that you see so many of. When I see someone wearing an Everton shirt here in the States, I KNOW they support Everton and that they can name the starting lineup. They sure aren't wearing it as a fashion statement.

And yes, as someone asked earlier, even when Donovan is gone, you'll find yourself waking up early every Saturday or Sunday morning to watch Everton play.

Meanwhile, I support the club, my kids are learning to support the club, and everyone who knows me knows about Everton Football Club.

Well, where do I start?

Played football here in town with an ex-pat who supported Everton. Didn't know jack about them until meeting him. Then come to find out that Joe-Max Moore played for Everton and I was big on following American players in Europe.

One thing leads to another and bingo bango, I'm chosen.

Started in '98 under the last few years of the Walter Smith reign and that was rough but when Kenwright hired Moyes, I didn't know who he was at all. Once I saw the presser and he had the "People's Club" quote, I knew he was the guy for the job.

The one thing over the years that has struck me about Everton and what stands out between us and all of the other clubs can be summed up in one word:

Class

There's something about Everton, their history, the players they've had play for them, their supporters, etc... that just fits. Again, the chosen part comes to mind. Everton doesn't have the arrogance that many of the other clubs and their supporters have. We hate losing but we're gracious losers as opposed to other clubs. Our manager doesn't blame everyone else when things don't work. Our players aren't "Big Time Charlies" as Lee Carsley once said. Our supporters are good sensible people. Not glory hunting bandwagon fans that you see so many of. When I see someone wearing an Everton shirt here in the States, I KNOW they support Everton and that they can name the starting lineup. They sure aren't wearing it as a fashion statement.

And yes, as someone asked earlier, even when Donovan is gone, you'll find yourself waking up early every Saturday or Sunday morning to watch Everton play.

Meanwhile, I support the club, my kids are learning to support the club, and everyone who knows me knows about Everton Football Club.

The problem comes in for us LD supporters that still want to watch Everton.....Are the US soccer networks going to supply us with the games? I want to watch Everton, but if Donovan leaves then are we stuck with in and out streaming threads?
Yes, we got to watch Everton on great cable feeds, but if he goes are those networks still going to follow Everton? I hope so. I fear not.

The problem comes in for us LD supporters that still want to watch Everton.....Are the US soccer networks going to supply us with the games? I want to watch Everton, but if Donovan leaves then are we stuck with in and out streaming threads?
Yes, we got to watch Everton on great cable feeds, but if he goes are those networks still going to follow Everton? I hope so. I fear not.

Have no fear my friend.

Before LD or even Tim Howard, Everton has been regularly shown in the States, either LIVE or tape delayed.

Between FSC, FSC+, & ESPN2, we'll get 9 out of 10 EPL matches each weekend.

I can recall last season where in a whole league season, I think that a grand total of THREE Everton matches weren't shown.

I think the title says it all lads.
Even before Donovan, we had a good support from the American folks.
Is it because we toured there?
Is it because we were underdogs for years but still managed to scrape a bite of the bone?

Pray tell. :)

Here in the states everybody seems to like us but don't support us. Even alot of the RS fans in the states I met secretly like us. We're like America's 2nd-3rd team because we do things the right way and with the exception of 04-05 don't threaten the higarcy. The vast majority of Non-Hispanic (they support Barca/Real Madrid or their Mexican squad they grew up with) US fans (I'd say about 70-80%)either support Man Utd (Yankee fans, frontrunners), Chelsea (god knows why), Liverpool (deluded fans who always talk about tradition and root for the Cubs) or Arsenal (large following among blacks however they are losing them to Man Utd since Henry left and lack of trophies).

We are in the 2nd tier of prem fandom with Spurs (A-holes who think they are smarter than you), Fulham (lg # US players).
Villa may be starting to develop a fanbase due to recent success as well.

However since Donovan came fan interest in Everton has really shot up. Footie talk shows now lead with Everton talk which never happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back