Why the Barca tactics aren't working for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lille were a very tight and defensive team coupled with the fact that meaning passing and linking needs time because we still have a lot of players still needing time to gel.

once they develop better communication from our relatively new players including mcgeady , you will see better more meaningful passing

Its a sad day when such a sentence can be proffered to make people feel better.

You are right that its mostly about the injuries, though the knock in confidence that came from Leicester away and (especially) Arsenal at home probably had a considerable impact.

haha I know I just ment in fourth spot because it would of been so easy to be there now.

We played Lille on a dodgy pitch that any team would have found difficult plus they're also very strong defensively and we where away from home.

It was a rubbish game, ok result but means nothing and deserves to be forgotten. Wait until we play them at Goodison.

We play loads of early balls up to Lukaku. I think you just want us to win Mikmania.

Our first team with Pienaar, Barks, Mirallas and Lukaku up front has some nice balance and different ways of playing between them. We're quite outstanding Mikey and you know it.

It's okay to critique the tactics lads

Doesn't mean I don't like Everton. In fact, it's the exact opposite

Some of the reactions in this thread, to reasonable tactical concerns, have been almost head in the sand like

People can have a dissenting opinion from your own. Some people in this thread have contributed reasonably to the debate but others have dived right in and played the poster and not the issue. It's that sort of stuff that makes the forum an unpleasant place to be

Some people clearly haven't fully read the OP and the resulting comments that have stemmed from it. They've seen something that isn't 100% positive about the team and it's tactics and have risen straight away to knee jerk aggression

Not everything about the team has to be amazing or vice versa. Not everything is a black or white issue.

I fully believe that all five of my original points are valid ones. Does that mean I want us to switch to 2008 era Stoke tactics? Of course not! I'd much rather we stay the course but tweak the tactics. Indeed, the OP says I'm not suggesting wholesale changes or that I want them.

I truly believe this less than perfect start to the season has more to it than just being a case of injuries and poor individual performances. I think the better teams have a better idea of what to do to stop us. That's not to say our style won't work, but it does suggest that it's reasonable for us to try and be more versatile

Let's not resort to petty attacks just because someone has a different opinion eh? This isn't RAWK

Thins is though, Mikey, that we don't employ "Barca tactics", simple as.

We want to keep the ball, that doesn't mean we're employing or trying to emulate them, it just means we want to keep the ball a bit more. Believe it or not it's not just Barcelona that play possession football.
And I can think of about 2 games when we've been "sussed out", and both were due to injuries/resting/the odd bad game you're bound to have.

I know its the way to over analayze things especially on GOT, but this season has literally been down to injuries and individual mistakes.

We were scoring for fun but bizarly concedeing more and every goal against us was from an individual mistakes, not just 1 or 2 but 6 or 7 which is kinda unheard off, especially when they were the 3rd best defence in the league last year.

Then injuries came about, and they werent to players that we had like for like backups to, they were our dynamic player each one added something unique to our play, theres no replacing what coleman brings to the side, or barkleys drive, or kevs speed and goal threat, and pienaer ability to play between the lines and link up.

Robertos tightened things up, results have started to improve, confidence is rising, now players are coming back from injury and others coming back to full fitness and sharpness. Hopefully next the swagger will come back to our play and we start to climb the table.

Agree we dont seem to press as intense as we did last year but maybe thats a result of the extra games we have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back