Wildlife in your Garden

We, up until lockdown had a regular daily visit from a pair of wood pigeons, a robin and a few other birds. Last 3-4 months. Not a single bird. It's very strange. They've all disappeared..

It`s seasonal mate, a lot of birds head into the areas where berries are ripe - woods, parks, mature gardens.

The likes of Sparrows and Finches form flocks and head out to the fields to feed amongst the stubble and looses seed from the hay that`s have been cut.

They`ll come back once the weather turns and the food supply elsewhere has gone.

Generally we get birds; Magpie's, Pidgeon's, sparrows, robins, etc. We get the occasional Squirrel if we leave food out for the birds. I have seen the odd hedgehog down the years, but I often let the lawn grow, so probably dont see them unless I have had the mower out. We seem to get lots of woodlice in the garden and tons of slugs.
During lockdown my wife saw a rat in the Garden one day, bold as brass, sitting on the lawn and then investigating the boarders. I read that during lockdown they were going further afield for food as their usual food supplies at the back of businesses were becoming scarce as the businesses were shut. The advice was to get rid of any food sources or water sources and they would move on. After that that the Mrs wanted the strawberry patch gone, so that's been dug up, lined with a membrane and covered in a plum slate, awaiting potted plant or shrub at a future date. We haven't seen anymore rats since then.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back