Wildlife in your Garden

Don't think so. I did get a good look at the beak and it seemed most similar to an Albatross, as unlikely as that sounds;

View attachment 107380

Would be a long ways from home but if one made it here a couple months ago as per that BBC article perhaps its not impossible.
Could have been blown off course and come to land. Imagine it would fly at an altitude where no one would notice it and you just got lucky. Worth reporting to the RSPB. Lots of birds about that you wouldn’t expect. Brother has seen an eagle owl before and speaking to a guy who works for natural England and he’d recently seen a non indigenous falcon (can’t remember the name) Probably escaped pets like.

Could have been blown off course and come to land. Imagine it would fly at an altitude where no one would notice it and you just got lucky. Worth reporting to the RSPB. Lots of birds about that you wouldn’t expect. Brother has seen an eagle owl before and speaking to a guy who works for natural England and he’d recently seen a non indigenous falcon (can’t remember the name) Probably escaped pets like.
Had a look at doing that but half their offices are closed.

Eagle Owls have been breeding here for a while mate. Up to 20 pairs and increasing.

There’s a pair in the Trough of Bowland, which isn’t really that far away.

I’d love to see one in the wild.

Eagle Owls have been breeding here for a while mate. Up to 20 pairs and increasing.

There’s a pair in the Trough of Bowland, which isn’t really that far away.

I’d love to see one in the wild.
According to my brother, 2 crows were harassing it then it must have got sick and turned around and went for them. lol Huge birds

According to my brother, 2 crows were harassing it then it must have got sick and turned around and went for them. lol Huge birds

I’ve been reading about the spread of them. They’ve caused a real pickle amongst the gamekeeping and hunting fraternity, as they’re new and unknown to them.

The inference from what I’ve been reading is “ do we blast them out of the sky / trap them or leave them be “

They can’t use the “ alien invasive “ species argument, as they were an indigenous species up until the early 18th Century, when they were persecuted to extinction.

Plus they don’t really hunt things like Grouse or Pheasants, preferring rabbits, smaller birds and small mammals.

The other one I’d love to see is the Goshawk and I believe there’s a very well guarded pair somewhere in Delamere Forest.

had a hedgehog trundling round our garden in middle of the day on friday. lucky for him I'd just brought the dogs inside about 5 minutes earlier

yesterday was walking the dogs at garston/speke coastal reserve (two mins from our house) pair of pheasants burst out in front of us, which was a surprise. turns out they're making a bit of a comeback down there

had a hedgehog trundling round our garden in middle of the day on friday. lucky for him I'd just brought the dogs inside about 5 minutes earlier

yesterday was walking the dogs at garston/speke coastal reserve (two mins from our house) pair of pheasants burst out in front of us, which was a surprise. turns out they're making a bit of a comeback down there

They have " managed " pheasant woods, down there mate, as they shoot them. So they`ve spread as a result of that.

The wildlife and bird life down there is pretty amazing considering where it is.

Just a pity Peel Holdings want to tarmac a lot of it to make the runway bigger at Speke Airport.

Stopping the runway expansion, due to air travel being all but wiped out this year and for the foreseeable, may be one of the only good things to come from the virus.

They have " managed " pheasant woods, down there mate, as they shoot them. So they`ve spread as a result of that.

The wildlife and bird life down there is pretty amazing considering where it is.

Just a pity Peel Holdings want to tarmac a lot of it to make the runway bigger at Speke Airport.

Stopping the runway expansion, due to air travel being all but wiped out this year and for the foreseeable, may be one of the only good things to come from the virus.
They release too many pheasant and grouse. Road near me is littered with them. Had a windscreen smashed myself once.

Anyone know, is it a good idea or bad to leave cakes out for birds/wildlife?

Got a load of cakes to dispose of, not really suitable for food bank, as some is in open packets or best before dates rapidly aproaching, shame to bin it all but is it suitable for birds....etc
Thought about leaving it in the park but also worried incase a greedy dog eats it

Got a load of cakes to dispose of, not really suitable for food bank, as some is in open packets or best before dates rapidly aproaching, shame to bin it all but is it suitable for birds....etc
Thought about leaving it in the park but also worried incase a greedy dog eats it

Just crumble them up mate and some of them will eat it - Robins, Blackbirds, Magpies etc.

I’d leave them raised somewhere if possible to avoid rats

Anybody on here take part in the RSPB 'Big garden birdwatch' ?
It's a huge annual survey (since 1979) which monitors changes in British garden birds. All you need to know is here-
This years 'big garden birdwatch' is set for next weekend.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back