Wildlife in your Garden

I built a sparrow terrace this year to compensate our sparrows losing access to our eaves last year when I meshed them off because rats were getting in. I felt bad because apparently they never move more than metres from their nesting spots so they struggle as their habitat is changed by modern people wanting spartan plastic easy maintenance gardens.
Fortunately there's an enormous privet hedge nearby so our numbers have kept up.

In other news.... we had this woodpecker in our garden today.View attachment 115900

Professor Yaffle ( showing my age ! )

I built a sparrow terrace this year to compensate our sparrows losing access to our eaves last year when I meshed them off because rats were getting in. I felt bad because apparently they never move more than metres from their nesting spots so they struggle as their habitat is changed by modern people wanting spartan plastic easy maintenance gardens.
Fortunately there's an enormous privet hedge nearby so our numbers have kept up.

In other news.... we had this woodpecker in our garden today.View attachment 115900
That's great. I've seen both lesser spotted and great spotted woodpeckers in the garden, but I've yet to have a green woodpecker visit. ;)

So here on the edge of Siberia we have a habit of feeding the smaller birds during the winter time (and therefore also the birds of prey, owls, smaller hawks etc...)

This winter my backyard feeding ground has been again succesfull. Also in ways not intended. Here we have one of 4 regularly visiting capreolus capreoluses enjoying the bird-sunflower seeds.

Attachments

• 20210209_203447.webp
    20210209_203447.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 11

....seen two different types of small hawks on the garden fence outside my living room window this week. They are stunning, wonder if lockdown is making them more plentiful.

A few weeks ago there was a wading bird (crane I think) on a chimney at the back and the magpies were swooping on it. Neighbours were out chasing them.

....seen two different types of small hawks on the garden fence outside my living room window this week. They are stunning, wonder if lockdown is making them more plentiful.

A few weeks ago there was a wading bird (crane I think) on a chimney at the back and the magpies were swooping on it. Neighbours were out chasing them.
I detest magpies wit a passion, horrible destructive pests.

I saw a fox in the front garden of what looked like an empty house this afternoon, Bermuda road in Moreton if anyone knows it.
Have missed the garden this Winter but even though some people think Spain is sub tropical in the mountains it gets a bit chilly so I've been in the apartment in the middle of town so only urban wildlife to look out for. Couldn't sleep the other night so looked out for foxes but no sign. Lots of evidence of wild boar down by the river which I've never seen before,must be due to the curfew.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back