Wildlife in your Garden

View attachment 117595

Did it look like this ?

If so it was a Heron.

View attachment 117596

This is a common Crane. They are here, but in very very small numbers - recent introduction from Europe.

Massive birds too.

...I looked it up & the colouring was more like a crane than a heron. A few garden fish ponds around here & I’ve heard neighbours suggesting they come from Martin Mere but I’d have no idea. I did take a pic but it was 40 yards away.

...I looked it up & the colouring was more like a crane than a heron. A few garden fish ponds around here & I’ve heard neighbours suggesting they come from Martin Mere but I’d have no idea. I did take a pic but it was 40 yards away.

Herons are big, but Cranes are massive and have incredibly long, dangly legs, which is a good way of identifying them from distance ?

If you’re a farmer or have an orchard, I’d agree, but in the city Magpies are brutal predators.

A while ago, a pair by us went through a colony of Linnets nests in a matter of hours. Systematically going from thicket to thicket looking for nests and then eating every single egg / chick that they found.

It’s not their fault that they’ve taken advantage and adapted to suburban environments in particular, but the reality is that just like Wood Pigeons in certain areas, their numbers need to be controlled - same with Grey Squirrels.
All of this plus pecked all of the masonry out from one of my windows. As for wood pigeons, we just have a couple visit the garden don't cause us any problems, good to eat but.

Sparrowhawk all day long.

Great to watch hunting.

I love going for hikes with my birder-friends. I just sh1t-talk and make up a name for any bird we see: "oh yeah, that...that'a Northern Hogwort, only about 100 of them left in Virginia..." "you see that, it's the brown-necked spinster, a.k.a. the narrow-sparrow, it likes to make nests in crevices..." "Oooh, look, the mottled choat...classic perching bird there."

Why? because I'm 12.

Now that spring appears to have finally sprung I think it's worth giving this thread a bump.
Glorious weather in Merseyside today ;) The gardens will soon be bursting with new life.
I'm still waiting for frogspawn in the garden pond and for the birds to make use of the nest boxes, but that should all be happening in the next few weeks.
I've already seen 'clumps' of frogspawn during my walk this morning and also spotted a siskin gathering moss (presumably already nest building)
This is my favourite time of year and given all the positives around Everton recently it's fair to say that I'm feeling great. :dance:

Now that spring appears to have finally sprung I think it's worth giving this thread a bump.
Glorious weather in Merseyside today ;) The gardens will soon be bursting with new life.
I'm still waiting for frogspawn in the garden pond and for the birds to make use of the nest boxes, but that should all be happening in the next few weeks.
I've already seen 'clumps' of frogspawn during my walk this morning and also spotted a siskin gathering moss (presumably already nest building)
This is my favourite time of year and given all the positives around Everton recently it's fair to say that I'm feeling great. :dance:

The Robin in our garden is in and out of the nest box they`ve used over the past couple of years, no nesting material, just inspecting it.

The Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, are drumming like mad in the woods, sorting out their territories and the Tawny Owls in the woods have gone quiet, which is a sure sign that they`re nesting already ;)

The Robin in our garden is in and out of the nest box they`ve used over the past couple of years, no nesting material, just inspecting it.

The Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, are drumming like mad in the woods, sorting out their territories and the Tawny Owls in the woods have gone quiet, which is a sure sign that they`re nesting already ;)

I've been thinking of getting a trail cam mainly for use in the garden, particularly at night. Have you ever had one?
I've looked at a few (on ebay) and it seems you can get a reasonably decent one for under £60

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back