Wildlife in your Garden

Wildlife in the garden in great but had a raccoon in our house this morning going after the cat food(n)
When I was growing up in the Santa Cruz Mtns, one of our local family friends was an artist who specialized in pen-and-ink drawings of local wildlife, especially raccoons. She became enamored of a trash panda that would occasionally come sniffing around her property from the surrounding woods, so she started setting out dog kibble to lure it. Word spread around the raccoon community. That night five or six of the critters arrived at dusk and tussled over the bowl of dog food. She accommodated them by setting out more kibble. Within a week, if you were in her backyard at twilight, you'd witness a mass of raccoons emerging from the gloom for their evening meal. It seemed like there were at least thirty of 'em at a time. It was crazy and fantastical.

She made a lot of great raccoon drawings out of it and I got the sense the artist lady would've continued accommodating them indefinitely if her neighbors hadn't complained that the visitors were overrunning their yards too.

In more melancholy garden wildlife news, today I came across this poor deceased youngster in the yard. It didn't display any obvious signs of having sustained violence beyond a broken neck. I'm guessing it's a turkey fledgling that fell (or was it pushed?) from a nest in one of the maple trees.

LLnneEH.jpg

It's been duly interred in a well shaded spot, unnamed but not unmarked. I'm sad to report that the funeral service was only sparsely attended. Beware: Such can be the wages of the wild life. Fare thee well, new dead chum.

bauYATg.jpg

When I was growing up in the Santa Cruz Mtns, one of our local family friends was an artist who specialized in pen-and-ink drawings of local wildlife, especially raccoons. She became enamored of a trash panda that would occasionally come sniffing around her property from the surrounding woods, so she started setting out dog kibble to lure it. Word spread around the raccoon community. That night five or six of the critters arrived at dusk and tussled over the bowl of dog food. She accommodated them by setting out more kibble. Within a week, if you were in her backyard at twilight, you'd witness a mass of raccoons emerging from the gloom for their evening meal. It seemed like there were at least thirty of 'em at a time. It was crazy and fantastical.

She made a lot of great raccoon drawings out of it and I got the sense the artist lady would've continued accommodating them indefinitely if her neighbors hadn't complained that the visitors were overrunning their yards too.
We’re about to get new neighbors, hope they don’t emulate your artist friend!

To avoid having a repeat of the indoor visitor we have now installed a cat flap that works with the cat subcutaneous chips to open. Or at least that is the theory - it has only been in a day but so far the cats refuse to use it lol

Just netted to massive toads out of my pond which was a bit overstocked - I was fishing out 4 nice goldfish for a neighbour - at the bottom of a garde a good 50 yards from my pond the old couple were sat pout in the sun ..... I shouted putting these in the bottom border ...... they ran in & shut the Conservatory door behind them lol

Toads & Frogs a big danger to your fish they can try to have sex with them crushing their bodies in the process ..... they are also amphibious so with my pond being netted can not get out of the water - my net developed a few holes in it in the spring My son & I reparited it the blighters must have got in to spawn - my fish eat that anyway .....

frogs “riding” on the back of large koi - urm they are getting frisky & have powerful legs that crush your fish ....

Just netted to massive toads out of my pond which was a bit overstocked - I was fishing out 4 nice goldfish for a neighbour - at the bottom of a garde a good 50 yards from my pond the old couple were sat pout in the sun ..... I shouted putting these in the bottom border ...... they ran in & shut the Conservatory door behind them lol

Toads & Frogs a big danger to your fish they can try to have sex with them crushing their bodies in the process ..... they are also amphibious so with my pond being netted can not get out of the water - my net developed a few holes in it in the spring My son & I reparited it the blighters must have got in to spawn - my fish eat that anyway .....

frogs “riding” on the back of large koi - urm they are getting frisky & have powerful legs that crush your fish ....
Like a x rated wind in the willows this

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back