World Cup 1966 at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amongst all those great names and others, the best player to play at GP in the tournament was Hungary's CF, Florian Albert.

Amongst all those great names and others, the best player to play at GP in the tournament was Hungary's CF, Florian Albert.

.....Hungary had some fabulous players, Frank Bene was my favourite. Absolutely right in highlighting the quality at the Old Lady in that famous summer. Pak Do Ik and Eusabio in that Korea match, Pele getting proper kicked off the pitch, Garrincha, not only a magical name but introducing the banana shot into the top corner of the Park End net. Great memories, great thread.

Bought the full Goodison package upto and including the Semi ; winner group 3 ( England? ) Vs 2nd group 4 pre-game form was Brazil so we were all over it.
Then
Surprise all englands games where at Wembley
(Northern) Fans being shafted even in those days.

But magic none the less

I was at those games as well, agree with Young Blue that Florian Albert was a very good player, as was Ferenc Bene. I was very disappointed that we did not see Pele at his very best because he had lumps kicked out of him every time he got the ball.

If I remember correctly the way the competition worked out the England Portugal game should have been at Goodison but was arbitrarily switched to Wembley. BTW for the younger Blues, Goodison was a truly world class stadium back then and one of only a handful in England to have seating on all 4 sides of the ground

.....Hungary had some fabulous players, Frank Bene was my favourite. Absolutely right in highlighting the quality at the Old Lady in that famous summer. Pak Do Ik and Eusabio in that Korea match, Pele getting proper kicked off the pitch, Garrincha, not only a magical name but introducing the banana shot into the top corner of the Park End net. Great memories, great thread.
I was right behind the wall for that free kick and couldn't believe the 'bend'. What about his legs though? They both were bent 'like a bannana', he'd had polio when he was a kid.
What a night that was, Brazil v Hungary though! Can still hear the noise and the steam coming off the crowd in the Goodison Road.

Iconic picture of Pele entering Goodison Park. This was to be the last time that Pelé and Garrincha played side by side and the Brazil supporters made their Samba beat heard with a large drum beating out from the Gwladys Street stands.
pel1.jpg

I was right behind the wall for that free kick and couldn't believe the 'bend'. What about his legs though? They both were bent 'like a bannana', he'd had polio when he was a kid.
What a night that was, Brazil v Hungary though! Can still hear the noise and the steam coming off the crowd in the Goodison Road.

...yep, walked like he'd just got off a horse. Think his knickname was Little Bird but might have that wrong, what a player. I understand that life wasn't kind to him in later life and he's no longer with us, so often the way it goes for those most gifted.

I was 3 years old in '66 and don't remember it at all except for all the family gathering at my Nan's house in West Derby to watch the final.

In later years my Grandfather used to speak for hours about the whole experience, for him a guy who never went further than Blackpool in his 74 years to have teams like Hungary, Brazil and North Korea (!) on his door step was an incredible experience.

Bill Shankly sumarised many of the games/highlights showed by ITV for those that might be interested

...yep, walked like he'd just got off a horse. Think his knickname was Little Bird but might have that wrong, what a player. I understand that life wasn't kind to him in later life and he's no longer with us, so often the way it goes for those most gifted.

Correct, and his real name was Manuel Francisco dos Santos!

I was 3 years old in '66 and don't remember it at all except for all the family gathering at my Nan's house in West Derby to watch the final.

In later years my Grandfather used to speak for hours about the whole experience, for him a guy who never went further than Blackpool in his 74 years to have teams like Hungary, Brazil and North Korea (!) on his door step was an incredible experience.

Bill Shankly sumarised many of the games/highlights showed by ITV for those that might be interested

I also remember the bright colours of the Brazil and Portugal supporters in the fish and chip shops around Goodison, with some confusion as 'foreign tongues' tried to order food and everyone seemed in a good spirits. You didn't hear many foreign speaking people in those days.

Last edited:
Correct, and his real name was Manuel Francisco dos Santos!
When I said they 'bent the same way', they weren't bowed, they curved alongside each other. It was amazing how he ran but understandable how he swerved the ball the way he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back