World Cup 1966 at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said they 'bent the same way', they weren't bowed, they curved alongside each other. It was amazing how he ran but understandable how he swerved the ball the way he did.

There's a quite lengthy documentary on him knocking around somewhere - I will see if I can find it on youtube. I remember watching it a few years back - fascinating story, rags to stardom to rags again...

Happy days. Along with three of my friends - we were all 16 at the time - I bought a book of 10 tickets covering the games at Goodison/Old Trafford, semi-final, third-place match and final for a grand total of £3 17s 6d.
Travelled down to London on the Friday night for the final and never slept again till I got home on Sunday night.

Happy days. Along with three of my friends - we were all 16 at the time - I bought a book of 10 tickets covering the games at Goodison/Old Trafford, semi-final, third-place match and final for a grand total of £3 17s 6d.
Travelled down to London on the Friday night for the final and never slept again till I got home on Sunday night.

Amazing - so you where actually there at Wembley? Great stuff!

Love the price of the block of tickets, but I suspect that was quite a bit of money back then!

This is my original receipt for my tickets. £3.17 - what a bargain.
World+Cup+1966.jpg

I remember all the National flags draped on Goodison road and inside the Stadium and the drum beats and everyone in high spirits, the Goodison crowd were behind Hungary most probably because they were the the underdogs and chanting Albert,Albert Everytime he got on the ball, it was a truly magical experience .

If you have never watched the Hungary v Brazil game, it's here in full - well worth the watch, great game and fascinating pictures of Goodison in its prime!

It's often said that players of yesterday would struggle to cope with the pace and physicality of the modern game, I reckon if you gave those 22 players a good preseason with the modern day nutrition, boots and balls etc they'd give anyone a game, even more so now given the way the games changed in recent years compared to the 80's and 90's. A quality player is a quality player whatever era they played in.

Love the price of the block of tickets, but I suspect that was quite a bit of money back then!

I had just done O Levels and had a holiday job paying a basic of £9 per week - £12 if I worked plenty of overtime.
Been offered £800 for the set of ticket stubs, which I still have, but I won't part with them.
Best memory of the final is dropping the school Union Jack (which we had "borrowed" with the intention of returning it before Monday morning) from the front of the upper tier. It was picked up by a German fan who stuffed it under his jacket and ran off with it!

...yep, walked like he'd just got off a horse. Think his knickname was Little Bird but might have that wrong, what a player. I understand that life wasn't kind to him in later life and he's no longer with us, so often the way it goes for those most gifted.
Yes right there mate he was called little bird,when he scored from that free kick there was silence for a split second as if no one could believe it,great memories.

It was a weeks wages for me as a first year apprentice.

Standard price for The Gwladys was 3 shillings aka 15p
Pint of Beer was approx 9p
world cup tickets were 7shillings and 6 pence, spoken as 7and 6 aka 37.5p, which was also the cost of a wedding licence, hence the bingo cry 7and 6; 76... 'was she worth it?'

*runs back to oldies thread for a woodbine and a pint of Threllies

Last edited:

How relative prices have changed. In 1966 a single record, was 6shillings and 8 pennies ie c 33p in todays money. In other words it cost twice as much to buy a record as it did to watch the game. Now the game costs c £35 and you can get a CD for c £10!

How relative prices have changed. In 1966 a single record, was 6shillings and 8 pennies ie c 33p in todays money. In other words it cost twice as much to buy a record as it did to watch the game. Now the game costs c £35 and you can get a CD for c £10!

Or for free.

Why did they have the alphabet written on the hoardings?

The programme used to list all the day's matches in alphabetical order for example A - Arsenal v Villa B -Derby v Blackpool etc and at half time they used to put up the scores next to each letter......

Last edited:
Just managed to upload a photo of me and Garrincha from Youtube from the Bulgaria v Hungary game. Delighted. ( I'm third from the left by the wall ).
download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back