World Cup 1966 at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember the commissionaire used to be on the main entrance ,there for years I seem to remember,I wouldn't say he had a face like a well kept grave, more like a face that had come through the Blitz,used to know is name but gone in the mist of time ?

Watched Goal - the official 1966 film - all the games at Goodison were sell outs - the crowd noise was immense (compare to an empty Roker Park and a relatively quiet Hillsborough and Ayresome Park even Wembley with England's games was relatively quiet. Great coverage - it's on BT Sport on Demand till the end of July (and I imagine it's also on Youtube).

I can even see my seat at the game.. just wish I had been there (but was only 5 at the time).

AlanBall02_468x579.jpg
' EE AYE ADIO WE'VE GOT THE BALL'!

Last edited:

If you have never watched the Hungary v Brazil game, it's here in full - well worth the watch, great game and fascinating pictures of Goodison in its prime!

I queued outside GSE for that match but cash entry closed before we got to the front of the line. Back to my Dad's Ford Popular to go home and catch it on the telly. My uncles were in the crowd though and marvelled at the quality of the game. Goodison Park was the best league ground in the UK back then. What a summer that was.....won the cup, England won the WC, signed Alan Ball, the unique lap of honour before the Charity Shield game (we'll swerve the result) and beating Liverpool 3-1 in September.....I don't think I've ever been happier before or since....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back