World Snooker Championship

Bingham is a battler - and a far better player than his current ranking suggests. He is tough. That epic defeat to Selby in the semi three years ago took a lot out of him, but he's no pushover here and is one of the few players who knows what it's like to beat O'Sullivan here when it matters. I wouldn't be amazed if he wins this - but, of course, Ronnie remains favourite, if only because he must look at the draw and think this next final session is really the hardest left for him in this tournament. If John Higgins got through, I suspect Ronnie would rise to the challenge. Higgins, obviously, is the greatest player left in the draw for Ronnie, but I think he'd enjoy that challenge. Game recognises Game.

All in all, there are too many out-of-sorts great players this year for this tournament to be anything other than underwhelming for me. Robertson didn't qualify, Selby is out for lunch, Williams blew out, Trump flattered to deceive...

An O'Sullivan-Higgins final would be fitting - and a little damning too. People like Mark Allen need to have a good look in the mirror. What a missed opportunity.

O'Sullivan usually has a spell in a tournament where he is often mesmerising, or incredibly bad. Not had either this WC yet. HE knows he's the draw, and if he's saving his best for when he needs it most.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back