Would you pay £24m for Lukaku?

What is the maximum you'd pay for Rom?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Insightful description there.

Piss poor addition to the discussion there.

You're arguing a nothing point - it's obvious Lukaku has physical advantages that Ibrahimovic and Falcao didn't have in the same way; you don't have to have watched them in the academy aged 15 to know that.

Piss poor addition to the discussion there.

You're arguing a nothing point - it's obvious Lukaku has physical advantages that Ibrahimovic and Falcao didn't have in the same way; you don't have to have watched them in the academy aged 15 to know that.

Don't swear please.

Fair point, what I meant but didn't communicate properly is that in 2014 he scored but was generally awful even when he did. Whereas when he first arrived he was causing chaos constantly even when not scoring.

The only game in 2014 I can remember him being a real handful in was against Arsenal.

Come on what about Utd, Hull, Newcastle even did okay against Man City. He's a threat when he's not playing at 100% there's very few players you can say that about! even fewer that we're linked with.

Come on what about Utd, Hull, Newcastle even did okay against Man City. He's a threat when he's not playing at 100% there's very few players you can say that about! even fewer that we're linked with.

Agreed. But we're talking about a £24m player in this thread for a club like Everton. It has to be someone very special indeed for that price. We've had plenty of strikers that have been consistent threats in theory for 90 minutes, like Saha, Yakubu etc. but as we're talking club record transfer the level of quality has to be beyond just the threat and going into the realms of actually carrying out the threat regularly.

My view is that since signing for Chelsea he hasn't progressed to being integral to their plans, so he shouldn't be priced as such. £32m for Costa, a new poster boy striker who has just won the Spanish league, made the Champions League final and has impressed one and all - yet we're talking a mere few million less for a lad who hasn't made the grade at Chelsea.

It's a lot of money. People see Bale go for silly money and can be lulled into thinking £20m+ is small change. For us to sign a player for £24m, it'd be the equivalent of City paying £75m, and as silly as they are with money they'd still very carefully consider that sort of transfer!

Didn't Kenwright once say that you don't need £10m to buy a £10m player??!

We paid £12m for Yakubu in 2007 and prices have probably nearly doubled since then so even at £24m it wouldn't be a bad deal considering his age. I'm sure we'd get more than £1m if we sold him 4 years later as well.

Keep changing my mind, he's so inconsistent, talks too much to the media, occasionally thinks he's better than he actually is and technically, he won't improve that much. Yet he defies my criticism and shows he can bang in 15+ a season.

I'm reluctant to mention Liverpool & Andy Carroll; Lukaku has already done more than Carroll ever will, but I'd hate to find ourselves paying a substantial outlay for a striker with many limitations who doesn't meet the expectations on his shoulders after initially showing promise.

Less than £20m for me.

Agreed. But we're talking about a £24m player in this thread for a club like Everton. It has to be someone very special indeed for that price. We've had plenty of strikers that have been consistent threats in theory for 90 minutes, like Saha, Yakubu etc. but as we're talking club record transfer the level of quality has to be beyond just the threat and going into the realms of actually carrying out the threat regularly.

My view is that since signing for Chelsea he hasn't progressed to being integral to their plans, so he shouldn't be priced as such. £32m for Costa, a new poster boy striker who has just won the Spanish league, made the Champions League final and has impressed one and all - yet we're talking a mere few million less for a lad who hasn't made the grade at Chelsea.

It's a lot of money. People see Bale go for silly money and can be lulled into thinking £20m+ is small change. For us to sign a player for £24m, it'd be the equivalent of City paying £75m, and as silly as they are with money they'd still very carefully consider that sort of transfer!

We bought Yakubu for a club record fee of what £12m some 7-8 years ago from a club that generally languished around the bottom end of the table. In 7 years we've seen a huge increase in transfer fees and watched average players change clubs for £25m+ fees, we need a reliable goalscorer if we want to progress and low and behold he's a reliable goalscorer. This is where the market is at the moment if we want to progress we need to grow a pair of balls.

It's [swear word] or get off the pan time.

We bought Yakubu for a club record fee of what £12m some 7-8 years ago from a club that generally languished around the bottom end of the table. In 7 years we've seen a huge increase in transfer fees and watched average players change clubs for £25m+ fees, we need a reliable goalscorer if we want to progress and low and behold he's a reliable goalscorer. This is where the market is at the moment if we want to progress we need to grow a pair of balls.

It's [swear word] or get off the pan time.

Really disagree. Spending big doesn't guarantee you an end result unless you can constantly spend big like City/Chelsea.

I criticise Moyes a lot but his transfer policy was spot on - you don't blow the bank on the flavour of the month when you're a club like us. You look around and bring in the Mirallas' of this world for £6m, or the McGeady's and Barry's and Gibson's for nominal fees that dramatically bolster your overall options.

Being smart in the transfer market has served us well and it was the utilisation of the talent that held us back, not the acquisition of the talent in the first place. Martinez has shown he has an eye for a player and can sensibly play the market.

I particularly disagree with the bold part - the fact it happens for the big spenders doesn't mean we should jump on the bandwagon and do a Leeds. This is my concern that people think £24m is small change - it's anything but.

Lukaku scores goals, no question. But think about it - if he was a guaranteed 15-20 goal a season striker in the long term, why aren't Chelsea keeping him, and indeed have shown no desire to even have him in the squad? Why aren't the likes of United looking at him as a replacement for Van Persie in the longer term, or Arsenal for Giroud? Why aren't the big hitters across Europe scrambling head over heel for him?

You talk about needing to splurge to compete - but these clubs that do splash the cash don't seem interested in doing so on him. Doesn't that indicate there's a rather large element of risk in regards to either his ability or his attitude here?

We bought Yakubu for a club record fee of what £12m some 7-8 years ago from a club that generally languished around the bottom end of the table. In 7 years we've seen a huge increase in transfer fees .

Sturridge cost Liverpool 'around £12m' in January 2013. And Chelsea paid £3.5m in tribunal, £2m in appearance fees, and 15% of that £12m to Man City, as well as £1m to Man City because he made an international appearance while with Chelsea, meaning they had to pay Man City around £8.3m and only made a profit of £4m or under on a player that has been highly rated since a kid just like Lukaku (played for England U16-17-18-19-20-21).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Sturridge#Chelsea

He' got 10 years of top level football in him at least and he's already a 15 goals a season striker. He's clearly worth £24m in a world where James McCarthy is worth £13m.

It's not just about his ability, it's about his age. If he was 26 he'd be worth a lot less than twenty four mill.

This. I would pay it. We could easily get 4-5 good years out of him and still sell him later for a huge amount of money. The guy can score goals and he's proven he can score goals in the Prem and for Everton. In four year he could win the golden boot at the WC, and he'd be worth way more than 24 mill at 24 years old.

He scored most of those goals in a counter attacking system in 2013, not 2014.

Now I am not so sure about this...in fact I think I disagree with this and I will back it up with fact....

He got injured in January 2104...and ONLY returned on 1st March against West Ham making a sub appearance and scoring in that game...but lets look at how he ended his season in 2014 for us...

All our fixtures from when he returned in March 1st
1 March - Everton vs Westham - Lukaku Scored Sub Appearance)
8 March - Aresenal vs Everton - Lukaku Scored
15 March - Everton vs Cardiff
22 March - Everton vs Swansea - Lukaku Scored
25 March - Newcastle vs Everton - Lukaku Scored
30 March - Fulham vs Everton
6 April - Everton vs Arsenal - Lukaku Scored
12 April - Sunderland vs Everton
16 April - Everton vs Crystal Palace
20 April - Everton vs ManU
26 April - Southampton vs Everton
03 May - Everton vs Man City - Lukaku Scored
11 May - Hull vs Everton - Lukaku Scored

One of those goals was int eh FA Cup..thus 6 goals in ending he 2014 season in 2 and a half months doesn't count for me as he scored most of his goals in the 2013 season and that he didn't really score in 2014 compared to 2013. If you balance it our over the amount of game in the last part of the 2104 season he did well imo. He has a barren spell in January...then again for 4 games in April. I would take above scoring ratio ANY day from a "struggling" striker :)

This. I would pay it. We could easily get 4-5 good years out of him and still sell him later for a huge amount of money. The guy can score goals and he's proven he can score goals in the Prem and for Everton. In four year he could win the golden boot at the WC, and he'd be worth way more than 24 mill at 24 years old.

Okiedokey - so if all that is the case, why aren't the elite clubs getting in on it this future Golden Boot winner with proven pedigree who will obviously turn a vast profit for the pittance of £24m?

My view is that scouts and managers are looking at him, looking at the way the game is progressing with inside forwards like Messi, Rodriguez, Ronaldo dominating and more nimble, technical strikers like Suarez leading the lines, and thinking, "well, maybe he isn't what we want to build our front line around."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back