Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure, but they all left because they lacked opportunities to play. If I remember rightly, Dier was sent to us precisely to get exposure to a more competitive environment, which suggests that aspect of our youth system isn't the problem.

Kids are getting plenty of action via loans though. Look at Chelsea. McEachran played nearly 100 games whilst out on loan, usually at a decent level, yet never looked like breaking through into the first team. It's not unusual for these lads to get ~50 games at Championship level and still be nowhere near the first team of their parent club. It can't be lack of preparation, can it?

...they're probably not getting near a game for their parent club because they're not good enough. I suspect clubs already have a very good idea of the one or two who might break through, the loan system confirms or otherwise but also helps put those lads out on the open market.

I think the trophy thing wasn't a bad idea (from our pov and I do understand the reluctance of the clubs in Leagues One and Two) but what made it a failure was the scheduling of the matches, which meant that we put out weakened youth teams because of international obligations.

IF the PL really want to give the Academy players the exposure (and I suspect that certain clubs are quite happy with the way the 'youth business' operates) then they should club together and give decent prize money for a competition which would involve strictly-age-limited PL teams and lower league clubs. Those lower league clubs could decide whether or not to play full teams but maybe the incentive would be there because of the prize money.

..the two competitions that our U23 failed in where the EFL Trophy and the European competition. The EFL is open age and the European competition contains teams who compete in open age football.

Thanks all for your responses, and also for the good luck wishes.

Although I'm one of the 'boycotters', I can't pretend that I don't want us to win on Sunday because I do. The sad thing is that a trip to Wembley should be a positive but in our case it's led to a load of bickering. Where you would expect everyone to be united, it's actually been divisive and I just hope fans of clubs at all levels can understand why a lot of people don't think this is the answer.

It's been billed as 'the solution' but in reality it's been used by many clubs as an opportunity to get match practice for experienced professionals who are on the fringes of the first team. In my opinion, I think the solution should be quotas on squad sizes where a certain % have had to come through the academy.

Surely the simplest way of ensuring youngsters get an opportunity is to limit the amount of players that come in from elsewhere that take their opportunity to play?

..the two competitions that our U23 failed in where the EFL Trophy and the European competition. The EFL is open age and the European competition contains teams who compete in open age football.
Sorry, my post was a bit ambiguous - I meant 'strictly age-limited' PL clubs and then open age lower league clubs (not that all teams should be strictly age-limited). With the incentive for the lower league clubs to be playing their better squads being the prize money on offer from the PL clubs (who would be benefiting from improving their youth?).

...they're probably not getting near a game for their parent club because they're not good enough. I suspect clubs already have a very good idea of the one or two who might break through, the loan system confirms or otherwise but also helps put those lads out on the open market.

Will be interesting to see with a lot of the Chelsea kids who can't get a game at the moment, whether they'll drop down to the champo and come back up like Keane has done or fade into obscurity like McEachran.

Premier League
Brendan Galloway not in match-day squad for WBA's game.

Scottish Premier League
Russell Griffiths was unused sub in Motherwell's game

Championship
Wigan Athletic - Callum Connolly played full match in 1-2 away defeat to Newcastle United

OS Match Report
"Morgan replaced Shaun MacDonald after an hour, Hanson moving into the centre and Connolly pushed out to wing back."
"Connolly brought out a good save from Darlow when he broke through"

Twitter stuff
67' Chance Latics. Connolly ran from his own, half beating numerous players, to see his strong shot palmed over by Darlow (2-1)
75' Connolly smashes in a Warnock cross, however the whistle had already gone as Warnock just failed to keep the ball in (2-1)

No particular fan comments

Gethin Jones not in match-day squad for Barnsley's game (illness)
Tyias Browning not in match-day squad for Preston's game (knee)

League Two
Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match and was booked in 1-5 home defeat by Doncaster Rovers

OS Match Report
"Dyson went into the referee’s notebook when he was shown a yellow card for handball following a long throw from the Town left."
"Two minutes later, the Mariners had another chance when Sam Jones turned provider, playing a ball through for Dyson to run onto but Lawlor raced out to narrow the angle and catch the Everton loanee’s shot."

Twitter stuff
9' Dyson wins the ball after a #DRFC defensive error but fails to make it count for #GTFC.
17' Great work from Dyson to make the run but #DRFC win the throw-in eventually.
22' BOOKING! Dyson is shown the yellow card. Still #GTFC 0-0

Fan comments
"Dyson looked ineffective"
"I'm not going to single out any player other than Jones & Dyson who worked really, really hard all day"
"I felt sorry for Dyson as he was isolated most of the time"

Conor Grant not in matchday squad for Doncaster (groin injury)

Morecambe - Anthony Evans started on subs bench and was brought on in 78th minute of 1-2 away defeat to Cheltenham Town

Bundesliga
Shani Tarashaj not in matchday squad for Frankfurt

Premier League

Championship
Wigan Athletic - Callum Connolly started on the bench and came on in 75th minute of 0-3 away defeat to Ipswich Town

OS Match Report

Barnsley - Gethin Jones played full match in 0-0 home draw with Cardiff City

OS Match Report
"Anthony Pilkington blazed the Bluebirds’ best chance of the second half over from an angle while a low Gethin Jones strike from the edge of the area rippled the side netting."
"Gethin Jones’ surging run forward saw the Welshman drill a left-footed shot just past the upright, WITH Matt Connolly booked for a foul earlier in the move in the aftermath."

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match in 1-3 home defeat to Fleetwood Town

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
12' YELLOW to Kyle Dempsey for blatantly pulling back McAleny as he breaks forward.
15' U's on the attack and McAleny's low cross almost reaches Maguire. Then Johnson goes over in the area but nothing given.
34' Great work from McAleny to get past his man and pull the ball back but Maguire's shot from 10 yards goes well over.
48' Lundstram feeds McAleny who gets the ball in to Rothwell but as he gets into the area he just overhits it. 1-1

Premier League

Scottish Premier League

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played full match in 2-0 away win over Blackburn Rovers

OS Match Report

No particular comments about his performance.

Callum Connolly was unused sub in Wigan Athletic's game

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match in 1-1 away draw at Walsall

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
6' United go forward as McAleny gets on Johnson's backheel. He finds Rothwell who dribbles into the area but is crowded out.
13' United break as McAleny finds Maguire in space but his cross goes over Johnson at the back of the area.
13' McAleny finds Johnson in the area but he slips as he shoots and the ball is easy for Neil Etheridge to collect.
34' Morris's FK is cleared by Eastwood to McAleny and his crossfield ball finds Johnson who is fouled outside the area.
49' Maguire nicks the ball and his cross is diverted onto the post with McAleny's follow-up header cleared.
58' Martinez finds Maguire on the right wing. His cross is met by McAleny but Etheridge is well placed to save.
85' McAleny tries a long-range special that Etheridge just manages to palm round the post.
86' A second corner comes out to McAleny but this time his long ranger goes over.
90+3 Lundstram's long-range shot comes back to McAleny who wins a corner.
90+4 The corner is cleared to McAleny whose 20-yarder arrows inches wide.

Fan comments
"Mcaleny I think is class and hope we can sign him in the summer. Might be dreaming though. He did go missing in the second glad a little."
"McAleny has been magic. Skilful, by far the best opportunity we have of scoring is through him and he's worked really hard.
For all my praise of McAleny in the first half, he was pushed out left and was invisible. He tied himself in knots and struggled."

League Two
Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match in 3-1 away win over Blackpool

OS Match Report
"A shot from distance by Dyson missed the target, before a cross-shot from Osborne had too much for the Everton loanee to get on the end of."

Twitter stuff
9' First real chance of the game lands to Dyson, whose effort goes wide of the mark.
32' Dan Jones wins the balls and plays a neat ball over the top to Dyson, who holds it up
45' Free-kick for #Seasiders comes to nothing as Dyson heads clear. It lands to Osborne who goes on a mazy run before losing it
45' CHANCE! Dyson chests it and volleys before Lyness tips it just over the bar...

Morecambe - Anthony Evans started and was substituted in the 66th minute of 1-1 home draw with Hartlepool United

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
Lovely one touch football around the edge of the box between Ellison and Evans. Defender just knicks the ball away!
LUCKY CHANCE! Evans closes down the keeper who strikes the ball against Evans back and nearly goes in!

Conor Grant was unused sub for Doncaster (promoted)

Bundesliga
Shani Tarashaj not in matchday squad for Frankfurt's game

Premier League

Scottish Premier League

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played full match in 2-0 away win over Blackburn Rovers

OS Match Report

No particular comments about his performance.

Callum Connolly was unused sub in Wigan Athletic's game

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match in 1-1 away draw at Walsall

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
6' United go forward as McAleny gets on Johnson's backheel. He finds Rothwell who dribbles into the area but is crowded out.
13' United break as McAleny finds Maguire in space but his cross goes over Johnson at the back of the area.
13' McAleny finds Johnson in the area but he slips as he shoots and the ball is easy for Neil Etheridge to collect.
34' Morris's FK is cleared by Eastwood to McAleny and his crossfield ball finds Johnson who is fouled outside the area.
49' Maguire nicks the ball and his cross is diverted onto the post with McAleny's follow-up header cleared.
58' Martinez finds Maguire on the right wing. His cross is met by McAleny but Etheridge is well placed to save.
85' McAleny tries a long-range special that Etheridge just manages to palm round the post.
86' A second corner comes out to McAleny but this time his long ranger goes over.
90+3 Lundstram's long-range shot comes back to McAleny who wins a corner.
90+4 The corner is cleared to McAleny whose 20-yarder arrows inches wide.

Fan comments
"Mcaleny I think is class and hope we can sign him in the summer. Might be dreaming though. He did go missing in the second glad a little."
"McAleny has been magic. Skilful, by far the best opportunity we have of scoring is through him and he's worked really hard.
For all my praise of McAleny in the first half, he was pushed out left and was invisible. He tied himself in knots and struggled."

League Two
Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match in 3-1 away win over Blackpool

OS Match Report
"A shot from distance by Dyson missed the target, before a cross-shot from Osborne had too much for the Everton loanee to get on the end of."

Twitter stuff
9' First real chance of the game lands to Dyson, whose effort goes wide of the mark.
32' Dan Jones wins the balls and plays a neat ball over the top to Dyson, who holds it up
45' Free-kick for #Seasiders comes to nothing as Dyson heads clear. It lands to Osborne who goes on a mazy run before losing it
45' CHANCE! Dyson chests it and volleys before Lyness tips it just over the bar...

Morecambe - Anthony Evans started and was substituted in the 66th minute of 1-1 home draw with Hartlepool United

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
Lovely one touch football around the edge of the box between Ellison and Evans. Defender just knicks the ball away!
LUCKY CHANCE! Evans closes down the keeper who strikes the ball against Evans back and nearly goes in!

Conor Grant was unused sub for Doncaster (promoted)

Bundesliga
Shani Tarashaj not in matchday squad for Frankfurt's game

...I appreciate he started the game but it's not looking great for Anthony Evans if he's struggling for game time at Morecambe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back