Your top 20 worst/stupidest Everton signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The really bad ones are the ones you have to sit and think about before remembering they played for us. I had mental block on Davy Klaassen. Genuinely forgot his existence.

24m wasn't it? Good lord.
I remember when he signed, reading people acting like it was a good idea was similar to reading people justifying the Bolasie signing the year before. If you just looked at his goal total from the previous two seasons without digging any further, I guess you could be optimistic, but it was shocking that anybody who'd ever seen him play for Ajax could come away thinking he had any chance of success in the Premier League (kind of how I felt about Funes Mori, having seen him play about 20 times before he signed). Just an absolutely unimpressive player. One paced, not particularly strong, big, quick, technically gifted, nor creative. Always looked like a slightly taller Tom Cleverley to me, except that they paid a "we expect you to be a regular starter"-level transfer fee for him.

The really bad ones are the ones you have to sit and think about before remembering they played for us. I had mental block on Davy Klaassen. Genuinely forgot his existence.

Got £16 or £16.5 Mills back, it's good company with the Iwobi deal. Everton fc plc have been hammered far far worse in other cases besides these.
Pay stupid money, get stupid signings. Moyes knew value, and graft, and skill. How did we fall into a big pot of cash right after he left after his 11 year stay?

That is Everton. All that Harrods M&S stuff, imagine he could've build a midfield around Lukaku. I dunno, it's despair if you dwell on it.

Jean Philip Gbamin
Alex nyarko
Per kroldrup
Davy Klassen
IBrahma Bakayoko
Alec Cleland
Brett Angel
Li Weifeng
Stephen Hughes
Morgan schneiderlin
Cenk tosun
Claus Thomsen
Henry onyekuru
Neal Maupay
Sandro Ramirez
John oster
Gareth farrelly
Stuart barlow
John spencer
Yannick Bolasie

Not the worst signing in terms of cost to the club but probably the most bizarre of recent times has to be Anwar El-Ghazi.
It was a really strange deal in a window full of strange and ultimately underwhelming signings.

Him, Alli and Von De Beek frankly contributed very very little. Alli for reasons well publicised.

El Ghazi stank of a suspicious makeweight in the Digne deal. Something not quite right there.

Given when we signed him (on the cusp of our financial implosion) and who signed him (the fat waiter) and who we signed him from (Stevie G) young Nathan Patterson is worth a place in any top 20 worst signings.

Whatever he may or may not become he's shown nothing yet to justify his huge fee and 5.5 Yr contract.

For some of the whoppers on this list you can make a case for.whybwe signed them - Michael Keane was highly sought after ex Man U England player that had played about 100 games top flight games and a former PFA young player of the year. Klaassen wasn't he captain of Ajax. Sandro was scoring goals for fun in La Liga.

Patterson by contrast had played a dozen games for Rangers in a v poor league where, given their domination over the likes of Forfar Athletic and Cowdenbeath, he was clearly untested as a defender. It was absolutely nuts.

I remember when he signed, reading people acting like it was a good idea was similar to reading people justifying the Bolasie signing the year before. If you just looked at his goal total from the previous two seasons without digging any further, I guess you could be optimistic, but it was shocking that anybody who'd ever seen him play for Ajax could come away thinking he had any chance of success in the Premier League (kind of how I felt about Funes Mori, having seen him play about 20 times before he signed). Just an absolutely unimpressive player. One paced, not particularly strong, big, quick, technically gifted, nor creative. Always looked like a slightly taller Tom Cleverley to me, except that they paid a "we expect you to be a regular starter"-level transfer fee for him.
I remember seeing Klassen for the first time and thinking that he looked like a boy in a man’s game, totally lacking any strength and speed

Davy Klaasen tops my list, clearly wasn't a premier league player. The league is to intense for his style of play and with all the other slow midfielders we bought in during that period, it was the start of are downwards spiral towards being relegation fodder.
Davy Klaassen and Mark Pembridge for me.

Imagine them two in a midfield 3 with Gbamin. We'd have struggled in the Conference North.

It's a weird one with Klaassen. Put him in an Ajax or Dutch national shirt and he looks top quality. Put him anywhere else and he looks League Two standard.

Tbf to Harvey Cottee was sought after from west ham. Crap footballer but his goals tally shouldnt have him in a worst signings thread. The four he signed at the start of his first year, cottee, nevin, mcdonald(he was really crap) and McCall were not the best mind. Real downgrade on the previous few years.
The thing was that the Cottee buy was an "all or nothing " bet by Colin Harvey. There was no major money left in the kitty.
Sure, Cottee scored some goals but the team needed more creativity not a bloke who nicked goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.