2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t.

This is the definitive measure of the effectiveness of football. You score more, you let in less, you get more points, ergo you’re better at football. Anything else is just a subjective opinion on how much you like a certain style.

Liverpool have played some of the most basic route one football in the league the last few seasons. Bang it down the middle, win a second ball, look for corners and set pieces, swing in cross after cross, look for counter attacks. It’s the polar opposite of how City play trying to play through the lines with through balls, cut backs, dominating possession, actually refusing counter attacks, short set pieces etc. Yet no one gives one how you’re playing when you’re finishing in the top 4 because your football is better than 16 others teams.

Allardyce’s anomaly of a season when we won some games when the pressure was off and somehow finished ahead of a lot of teams clumped together doesn’t prove anything. Only that we’d been RELATIVELY just as effective vis a vis 19 other teams in 17/18 as we were under Silva a year later when we also finished 8th despite them going about it different ways.

If Frank gets more points this season than last season and finishes in a higher league position that is factual improvement that you cannot explain away with hipster nonsense.
How did you manage to contradict yourself in back to back sentences?

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the contradiction.

We score more than 'you' then we win! Maybe I don't understand your point but I think the OP's statement cannot be misconstrued and to suggest it is may be just a little...ambiguous.
I took it that he was talking about in general, as in if you score more and concede less over the course of a season you win more. Which is of course true.

But is also a contradiction to the sentence "the only definitive measure is points."

I took it that he was talking about in general, as in if you score more and concede less over the course of a season you win more. Which is of course true.

But is also a contradiction to the sentence "the only definitive measure is points."

If you score more and let in less consistently then the majority of the time that leads to more points, hence why teams with positive goal differences are normally in the top half and teams with negative ones are normally in the bottom half.

If you score more and let in less consistently then the majority of the time that leads to more points, hence why teams with positive goal differences are normally in the top half and teams with negative ones are normally in the bottom half.
I agree!

But then you can't say points are the only metrics that matters lmao. GD is another metric!

The only one that actually matters though. League wise anyrate.
Right. I was saying before though that I'd probably not just look at that when decided whether we made progress this season though because, for example, Big Sam did a decent job with points and our league finish and not a single person felt like we got better over that season. Still holds I think.

I agree!

But then you can't say points are the only metrics that matters lmao. GD is another metric!

Points are the definitive metric because more often than not they lead to league position

30-40 you’re normally going to be lower bottom half

40-50 you’re normally going to be mid table
50-60 you’re normally going to be qualifying for Europe
60-75 you’ll have a chance at top 4
75 upwards you’ll have a chance of the title

I know someone will come on crying ‘but wharrabou Allardyce when we finished 8th’ but normally these points bandings roughly work out.

If Lampard moves us up a band, no matter how he does it, you simply cannot say there hasn’t been progress.

Points are the definitive metric because more often than not they lead to league position

30-40 you’re normally going to be lower bottom half

40-50 you’re normally going to be mid table
50-60 you’re normally going to be qualifying for Europe
60-75 you’ll have a chance at top 4
75 upwards you’ll have a chance of the title

I know someone will come on crying ‘but wharrabou Allardyce when we finished 8th’ but normally these points bandings roughly work out.

If Lampard moves us up a band, no matter how he does it, you simply cannot say there hasn’t been progress.
I very easily can because points aren't a good predictive measure and if he gets 15 1-0s and we have a vastly negative goal difference (as a simple example) it'll be pretty easy to say we aren't going to keep that up.

Right. I was saying before though that I'd probably not just look at that when decided whether we made progress this season though because, for example, Big Sam did a decent job with points and our league finish and not a single person felt like we got better over that season. Still holds I think.

Thats when the eye test comes in though.

The metrics against Palace were fairly even, but the eye test showed we scored 3 brilliant goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.