2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is Dave, I don't think he would, we would leak goals like a sieve. Martinez' first season with us he still had Moyes' exceptionally well drilled defence, when Martinez arrived and took the shackles off it looked good, for a while. He got away with his tactical failings that first season because the defence still had that organisation, it all fell to pieces after that. Were he to come in now, this defence would be nowhere near good enough to cope with his tactics and we would go down for sure.
That old chestnut.

He played a defensive system completely different to Moyes, and it provided the basis for a season with minimum goals conceded. It was Barry and McCarthy coming into the team screening the CD and allowing for us to play more out from the back.

The following two seasons was limited in that respect because McCarthy got crocked and Martinez failed to replace Distin.

Honestly tho if he came back his philosophy was to pass pass pass we can't string 3 passes together and we've got 2 no nonsense center halfs who have for most games been doing a decent job. They would suffer in that system and I think they might be are only hope of survival imo.. were in a different place with this squad yes it's a grim one
I think you underestimate them, just as Jagielka and Distin were underestimated by Moyes.

I dont want Martinez back especially. I want Lampard to stay and do this job. But if we were offred Moyes or Martinez it'd be RM for me, as we need a team scoring goals and Martinez teams are bold enough to go and get them.

That old chestnut.

He played a defensive system completely different to Moyes, and it provided the basis for a season with minimum goals conceded. It was Barry and McCarthy coming into the team screening the CD and allowing for us to play more out from the back.

The following two seasons was limited in that respect because McCarthy got crocked and Martinez failed to replace Distin.
I beg to differ Dave, within a season our defence had lost any ability they had ever had to defend set pieces, our defending of corners under Martins was appalling, an absolute shambles. He also had the cheek to tell us corners were not important so he didn't practice them.

He got to bring in goal scorers in or his job over at the club.

We are relying on Gordon, gray, mcneil and iwobi for goals, none of them have ever shown this. It's mental.
Problem is, if he signs goalscorers and they look crap under Lampard we will say the board failed us.

But it might be the case that a different manager gets better results out of these players

I beg to differ Dave, within a season our defence had lost any ability they had ever had to defend set pieces, our defending of corners under Martins was appalling, an absolute shambles. He also had the cheek to tell us corners were not important so he didn't practice them.
Look at how many we conceded in that first season.

Fact Lampard still has a job shows the lack of ambition from the board. Moshiri is totally clueless, it's clear that the manager has now lost the dressing room. Been here 9 mth and we are worse off than FSW. Perhaps 1 of his 100 coaching staff cud do better #efc

Some of the players will have enjoyed expensive hols in warm places and so might come back refreshed and raring to go. They might have forgotten the abuse they got at Bournemouth. On the other hand...... Nobody knows what effect this 6 week break may have.
Don't think there will be too many racing to get back off the Bahamas beach to be booed against Wolves when it's -3c and snowing.

If he got us clear in the event that Lampard was still struggling Ild welcome it. I just dont think he;d cut it here with these players. It'd take him 18 months getting some discipline into the squad the way he likes it.

RM would probably do better. If he had a striker handed to him of any quality he'd get us playing - and Coady and Tarkowski would probably limit our losses at the back with the inevitable balls ups as the team tried to play out from our defensive third.

RM with a stiker would get us midtable without a shadow of a doubt.
More chance of Anne Widdecombe winning Miss World than that joker being with a country mile of midtable. Jesus wept.

I think for me the main thing he's been guilty of in the last few weeks is probably tinkering a bit too much. I can understand that player availability can be a big factor in that but I always believe that you should avoid moving the chess board about too much just because you've lost an 'important' piece.

We seemed to nail it against Palace, in which admittedly turned out to be one good result in a backdrop of a number of poor ones, but if it worked then why not at least persist with it? the first half at Fulham was going alright I thought then everything just seemed to unravel from that second half to now..

Think he needs to go back to basics now - just make sure we're as hard to beat as possible and stop messing about with the system, such as throwing the likes of Onana up the pitch as some sort of second number 10 or something like he did against Leicester ?‍♂️

I do wonder as well if he'll use this time to look at the younger players a bit more, specifically the likes of Mills & Cannon. Recent evidence suggests that there have been young players who've made themselves known in this league after breaking through during the second half of a season.

Depend on who Southampton get
There a few good young European mangers out there and a few well known managers looking for a job

Tuchel
Zidane
Pochettin
Marcelo Bielsa
Andre Villas-Boas
Sean Dyche

Oh and Rafael and Gerrard. Lol

Pity we don't have any money.
If Zinedine Zidane has ever even heard of Everton, I'll give you the money myself.....

I think it's mad how THE best goalscoring midfielder in Premier League history hasn't been able to coach his midfielders to shoot properly from outside of the area and/or make those intelligent runs he used to make several times a game and just know which positions to find themselves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.