Why do you keep supporting Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The emotional boost from winning. Shortlived though it is, it's like being withdrawn from smack since October. I've never felt so wretched in my life.... like literally nothing good will ever happen to me for the rest of my existence.

Could have everything, but if EFC aren't in the PL, it's like there's no point. That's why I sometimes think every win is in fact a personal defeat, because it claws me back in.

I'd made peace with relegation before last season's Chelsea game - thanks in no small part to a huge bookies payout if they went. It didn't happen, and now I get jack shid for them dropping.

Will one more season in the PL be the difference between long-term survival/outright extinction/Leeds-style exodus? Will the money from last season's survival ensure the stadium is operable for a while, as opposed to something that will send the club into liquidation and rebirth in the Conference North?

I guess a huge takeover from Moshiri could be the answer. But it's exactly this the board needs to be clear about..... but they lie, and mask everything with pictures of the stadium... they've lost all credibility already, what harm will a bit of brutal honesty do?
I'm feeling we're past the point of fearing relegation tbh, because fk this desperate firefighting to keep our heads above water playing garbage football in the prem and being the most boring club in Europe.
I mean it could well be an existential threat to the club, but the culture of mediocrity is so deeply embedded that it feels like the only way forward is to set it on fire and start again.

I'm feeling we're past the point of fearing relegation tbh, because fk this desperate firefighting to keep our heads above water playing garbage football in the prem and being the most boring club in Europe.
I mean it could well be an existential threat to the club, but the culture of mediocrity is so deeply embedded that it feels like the only way forward is to set it on fire and start again.
I'm not watching us spend years in the Conference North playing on Everton brow in front of 3 men, a dog and a guy looking for directions to Anfield. We'll find a way to phuket up. Believe me.

Oh and Wimbledon, the team that finished sixth in the PL just ten years before extinction, have never been higher than League One since doing likewise.

I'm not watching us spend years in the Conference North playing on Everton brow in front of 3 men, a dog and a guy looking for directions to Anfield. We'll find a way to phuket up. Believe me.

Oh and Wimbledon, the team that finished sixth in the PL just ten years before extinction, have never been higher than League One since doing likewise.
Wimbledon is different to every other case. Their club was literally destroyed by their owner.

I didn't choose Everton. Everton chose me. To torment me, to usher in the dark times, to enable the self righteous, entitled supporters of the RS to mock me, to enable fans of pretty much any football club to mock me, to make me question life choices, to make me fall asleep on the sofa while watching the game around 26 minutes into the 1st half, to make me want to drink more, to be the monumental catastrophic element that lurks menacingly.....

giphy.gif

Mugs. That's why.

It's irrational. We support them 'just because.'

As others have said, I feel for fans below 40 who have no real memory of success. Even the cup win in 95 was a cruel tease for them.

"Yes! We're on the way back!"
I'm one of those and i still count myself as one of the lucky ones.

At least i can remember an Everton trophy win, and remember an era when that lot couldn't beat us in a derby game for love nor money.

I thought there would be more trophies to celebrate but there you go. My teenage years and my twenties all passed without seeing Everton win anything, and i'm approaching the end of my thirties now!

It's the people who have no memories at all of any Everton success though, that i really do feel sorry for.

Last edited:

I wasn't meaning we do some sort of contrived FC United bolex. More that the fear of relegation is meaningless when the alternative is the purgatory football we all see before our eyes.
It'll get resolved one way or the other - the cellar of the prem is like a reverse-Everest dead zone, it cannot sustain life in the medium term. Continue to bed down there and you're only going one way.

I’ve not enjoyed watching Everton now since probably the first 3-4 months of Silva.

Before then probably the first Martinez season.

So probably 18 months worth of enjoyment in 10 years. I’ve never seen us win a trophy, I’ve travelled to the maddest places and my return is this.

Truth is, I love football so I numb my Everton woe by going across Europe watching football (mainly Köln), so I can still enjoy football, without the disappointment.

But Everton are a bit like that troubled family member at the moment. You love them, but they’re a basket case and there’s no saving them… but you don’t walk away, it’s in your bloody. The bizarre thing is Everton probably will be the biggest constant in peoples lives in here.

It’s all we’ve ever known, you can’t walk away.

View attachment 199619
I think the Billy Goats wait for a trophy is even longer than Evertons. I think it was 1983 when Koln last won a major trophy.

I'll give a reply but a boring answer. It's my club, I wouldn't want it any other way.

But it breaks my blue heart to see how we've declined. It angers me that 'they' have stood by and let us slip away from the top table. I'm a bitter blue
but I'm more bitter towards the Everton hierarchy these days than RS. That's how much I blame the people that run the club for making us a laughing stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.