Why do you keep supporting Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love football. It’s the only thing I like, even though the game I love has been almost ruined over the years by silly rule changes such as handball, no slide tackles, var etc.

I support Everton because it’s the only thing I know. My grandad who passed of covid in 2020 was still going to the game in his nineties. My dad when he first started taking me the games when I was 8/9 years old would take me to my Nana’s and Grandads before each game where my Nana would shove kit kat’s and blue ribbon’s into my pocket so I wouldn’t go hungry at half time.

We would walk upto the ground and watch the blues play, the atmosphere was always electric and the gwladys street end was our favoured stand to sit. I don’t think I sat anywhere else in the ground until my early twenties.

I’m now 37 and I guess the answer to the question is, I support Everton because I am Everton. As was my Grandad, as is my father, brother, mother and my new niece who came into this world in September. I am Everton, we are Everton.

this feels unyielding
it really does...ever since the later Martinez-era where the football was dead weird, and his crazed optimism began to really grind my gears. Then the useless (even damaging) money injection, and subsequent managerial merry-go-round, during which we thought it couldn't possibly be worse than the Allardyce period.

But it just keeps getting worse...and most damning of all: it's just become plain boring to follow us. We rarely get any outstanding one-off games. The footie is consistently bad, results are poor, derbies are almost always catastrophic, the good players leave....rinse & repeat. We often see posts here like "why do i do this to myself?"

Well, I just don't now.

Hence why i'm taking a break from caring, or even following. I couldn't name half of the current 11 right now. Been a regular fan since 1989, with only a little blip during the tedious Walter Smith era. But this current blip feels far more significant as i've also fallen out of love with the game itself: the money, corruption, lack of loyalty, lack of passion and even lack of identity is almost everywhere in mainstream club football.

International footie has also lost its sparkle: everything about the Qatar World Cup, and the FIFA Chief's reaction to criticisms of it (worker treatment etc) made me boycott the whole thing. Didn't watch a single minute. This coming from someone who's watched every entire tournament since 1990 (plus physically been to a couple of them).

Something about not just Everton, but football generally, has gone off. The bubble's not burst, it's gone mouldy. Still evidently edible...but not for me.

These days i prefer to spend my 'free time' following cultural things like music, film, gaming, books, tech stuff...it's not glorious like the best days of following Everton can be, but neither does it feel like a frustrating waste of my time. And nowadays being a middle-aged Dad with too-many-hobbies as it is, letting go of football is easy.

Last edited:

I cant even comprehend the formulation of such a question. It's like saying "why do you keep breathing in oxygen?"
Cause you're a fanatic dave just like a wind up toy...
Also dave you're not exactly known for ever reassessing a stance or having a nuanced perspective, you charge in with dynamite wrapped around your chest. Regardless I can invite you into the genesis of my ponderings. see every day I devote extensive time and energy to an entity that generates perpetual misery with little reward I think its natural to at least experience an existential football inquest as you can keep your zealotry man.
If someone else's team replaced their best player with dwight McNeil and they didn't have the slightest inclination to question their support of that shambolic club, I would find them utterly deranged

Last edited:
Everton are part of my life. I can relate everything that has happened to me and think of the players and manager of the particular time since I was a young boy. I was old enough to enjoy the Championship seasons in 85 and 87 but being a little older, I retain most fondness for the Joe Royle era and for Big Joe himself, and Big Nev.

It's an attachment based on habit and sentiment. It's absolutely something I don't enjoy. It's like having an errant family member that you curse but you love them and would do anything to protect them. Well, hardly but you get the idea.

I don't support really. I'm not sure what that means in practical terms. It's not my role, nor anyone's to offer blind and unconditional support particularly when it's so obviously unworthy as it has largely been.

That's why there will be a melancholic reflection from me if we go down, and no more. A quiet but temporary sadness on the ending of an era and of a certainty of sorts. I would associate much of that certainty with loved ones and parts of my life that are also gone.

But it's football and it belongs where it should - quite low on the list of priorities. I once destroyed a conservatory door such was the ferocity with which I threw a book at it when we lost deep in injury time at White Hart Lane. Those days are long gone. It simply isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Cause you're a fanatic dave just like a wind up toy...
Also dave you're not exactly known for ever reassessing a stance or having a nuanced perspective, you charge in with dynamite wrapped around your chest. Regardless I can invite you into the genesis of my ponderings. see every day I devote extensive time and energy to an entity that generates perpetual misery with little reward I think its natural to at least experience an existential football inquest as you can keep your zealotry man.
If someone else's team replaced their best player with dwight McNeil and they didn't have the slightest inclination to question their support of that shambolic club, I would find them utterly deranged
I think you can question the goings on at a club without questioning why you still go on supporting it. Fan is truncated from fanaticism, after all.

My post wasn't a comment or judgement on your commitment, btw. ?‍♂️ ☮️

Everton are part of my life. I can relate everything that has happened to me and think of the players and manager of the particular time since I was a young boy. I was old enough to enjoy the Championship seasons in 85 and 87 but being a little older, I retain most fondness for the Joe Royle era and for Big Joe himself, and Big Nev.

It's an attachment based on habit and sentiment. It's absolutely something I don't enjoy. It's like having an errant family member that you curse but you love them and would do anything to protect them. Well, hardly but you get the idea.

I don't support really. I'm not sure what that means in practical terms. It's not my role, nor anyone's to offer blind and unconditional support particularly when it's so obviously unworthy as it has largely been.

That's why there will be a melancholic reflection from me if we go down, and no more. A quiet but temporary sadness on the ending of an era and of a certainty of sorts. I would associate much of that certainty with loved ones and parts of my life that are also gone.

But it's football and it belongs where it should - quite low on the list of priorities. I once destroyed a conservatory door such was the ferocity with which I threw a book at it when we lost deep in injury time at White Hart Lane. Those days are long gone. It simply isn't worth it.
well-written & thoughtful...and agreed.

my last really passionate response was massively banging our table in ferocious excitement as Rooney slotted an equalising pen vs RS, a rare high point of the Allardyce era. It meant a lot: being a derby, being Rooney...also a carthasis for the turgid football we were playing.

But since then...like you it feels like those days of getting hugely-excited are gone. Everton just haven't offered anything to make me feel like that again. And this long de-inspiration has resulted in me almost unfollowing the club. These days i just check results and pop in the match thread on here.

Maybe things will change again, but from my perspective it's the club that first needs to change. Life's too short to spend time on things that aren't much fun.

What else would we do ? Its great everyday checking all the News Now and other threads in hope of some good news that never comes … it’s the hope that keeps us all going . As bad as things are now deep down I still think we will be ok ! My wife says I’m delusional though so not sure anymore .

I did try to cut ties with the sport during the 2015/16 season, stop caring and then my old man dragged me to all the FA cup games for the season and we got to Wembley., I thought I was out and I was pulled back in kicking and screaming, genuinely teared when the mancs scored in the last minute at Wembley and I’ve just decided to put up with it ever since for the sake of having something to moan about on Monday morning.

I think you can question the goings on at a club without questioning why you still go on supporting it. Fan is truncated from fanaticism, after all.

My post wasn't a comment or judgement on your commitment, btw. ?‍♂️ ☮️
I apologize Dave I just finished a day of work which involved like ten hours of paperwork and unfortunately you became the recipient of displaced agitation especially when i misconstrued your comments as a dig. So your request for peace is accepted and I learned a valuable lesson about maybe fully processing a post before responding... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.