2023/24 Sean Dyche

I think last year was a good example showing teams that recognised their manager was not working and fixed it stayed up. Take Bournemouth/Leeds for example. Bournemouth saw their manager wasnt working and acted quick. They stayed up. Leeds stuck with Yankee Marsch who was clueless well into February I believe. They were hindered by keeping a clueless manager on. They burned a lot of winnable games with him. If you look at the squads they had last year I would say they definetly had a better squad of players than Bourmemouth (and possibly us) but moved way too late

I think Dyche should get maximum next International break to prove himself. If things havent changed we need to make the move quickly. Its a good year to stay up. Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley all look poor. Add in Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth and Fulham and there are plenty that can go down. We cant burn more matches like Leeds did against the likes of Fulham and Sheffield United. Its a great year to be poor as they are plenty like us. Just need to take advantage of it
I don't mind Dyche, and he did an excellent job last term (no forwards, injuries to full backs), stayed up. Near miraculous for where we were.

I see poor prep and mistakes this term though and am open-minded for him to leave, if we can get a manager better tactically.

Challenges to Dyche this term:
  • Let Coady go
  • 'That' 90 mins vs Villa
  • Played Bambi in the wrong fixture of our 4 opening games (albeit DCL wasn't fit for Fulham anyway)
  • We look dire going forward, we just lack idea
OK we're not conceding much now, defense improving, and now we need to start playing and scoring with Beto , Danjuma and hopefully DCL and McNeil to come good in a few weeks.

Improvement by next international weekend a month away isn't much time - but agree a 'deadline' of sorts is necessary. Prob early Nov for me - such that new manager gets a window to do something, too.

Basically agreeing, you've nailed it in terms of the teams we can beat.

09c11152-ea7d-4714-b05e-f7703f6773b2.jpeg

Once you have drilled the players to be so passive and negative against good sides, it’s very difficult to expect them to dominate against poor sides (as we saw v Doncaster).

Dyche football is a road to nowhere. When Potter took over Brighton they had been a similar dour defensive side under Hughton for years. He immediately got them to play with a lot more freedom and whilst results didn’t instantly improve, it laid the foundation for De Zerbi’s ‘play with courage’ winning football.

Eddie Howe transformed Newcastle in the same way - the football markedly improved before the results did.

Moyes, Silva, Martinez, Ancelotti.

All wanted out by loads of our cry babies.
2 of those managers weren't sacked though. One went to United and one to R Madrid. Although I don't feel the timing was necessarily wrong with Moyes going either - 10 or 11 years or whatever it was is a very good run at any top flight club.

I liked Silva, have some regret over that one. But it's still difficult to argue Martinez and Silva deserved more time. Both were struggling badly, although perhaps Silva deserved a little longer. Martinez had 3 full seasons bar one game IIRC.

Moyes, Silva, Martinez, Ancelotti.

All wanted out by loads of our cry babies.
Moyes had a long time here , did a fantastic job but it all went a bit stale. However it was his decision to go to United

Silva was arguably sacked too soon.

Martinez had a great first season and was then clueless.

No one wanted Ancelotti to go

Nice attempt at rewriting history though.

Personally the biggest problem I find with Dyche, aside from his obvious limitations as a coach, is that there's nothing to be excited about. It doesn't feel like there's a plan for us to improve over time. I don't see any patterns of play that will pay dividends in the future. There's no discernible style. It just seems like every single game is treated in exactly the same way.

I look at great envy at managers like Thomas Frank, De Zerbi, Emery (and to an extent even Potter), who clearly place a big emphasis on long-term success by instilling a clearly identifiable style that really pays off over time. Literally the only pattern of play we have is pass it back to Pickford.
Top post, to make it worse those limitations make us play a sterile boring brand of football. Like many I suspect, going to home games no longer gives me any pleasure.

Personally the biggest problem I find with Dyche, aside from his obvious limitations as a coach, is that there's nothing to be excited about. It doesn't feel like there's a plan for us to improve over time. I don't see any patterns of play that will pay dividends in the future. There's no discernible style. It just seems like every single game is treated in exactly the same way.

I look at great envy at managers like Thomas Frank, De Zerbi, Emery (and to an extent even Potter), who clearly place a big emphasis on long-term success by instilling a clearly identifiable style that really pays off over time. Literally the only pattern of play we have is pass it back to Pickford.
Dyche has never tried to instill any identifiable style of play at any point in his career. It has been long ball park the bus football and trying to get to 17th place.

I think it's the main reason no other club was willing to offer him a job while at Burnley. No one believed he had the ability to make a side better and to play in a different manner on the front foot. Unfortunately I'm still yet to see any evidence he is able to do anything other than negative dreary football.

You're meant to be given hope by your football team but this is just a horrible cycle of frustration and failure. There is no hope of better under a manager like Dyche.

Once you have drilled the players to be so passive and negative against good sides, it’s very difficult to expect them to dominate against poor sides (as we saw v Doncaster).

Dyche football is a road to nowhere. When Potter took over Brighton they had been a similar dour defensive side under Hughton for years. He immediately got them to play with a lot more freedom and whilst results didn’t instantly improve, it laid the foundation for De Zerbi’s ‘play with courage’ winning football.

Eddie Howe transformed Newcastle in the same way - the football markedly improved before the results did.

We are at that stage now though MACCA that let's say we did get a Potter or a Howe in. Performances improve but results don't and we are cut adrift.

I'm not disagreeing with you either mate, I reckon we've had 2, 3 absolute max decent performances under Dyche and the rest have been anywhere from average to downright disgusting.

We are at that stage now though MACCA that let's say we did get a Potter or a Howe in. Performances improve but results don't and we are cut adrift.

I'm not disagreeing with you either mate, I reckon we've had 2, 3 absolute max decent performances under Dyche and the rest have been anywhere from average to downright disgusting.
The other way to look at it is that you can't actually do any worse when you replace a manager who has zero wins. It would be a statistical impossibility for a new manager to win fewer matches.

I think I read we've lost 11 of our last 16 home matches. We are probably 2 weeks from potentially hitting rock bottom here under Dyche (i.e. not beating Luton), so I don't really see why anyone would fear a change.

Small club performance from a small club manager. It doesn't matter how crap we are, this is Everton - not Burnley - and there is a way to go about things even if the result doesn't go our way. There is no shame in losing to a great Arsenal team, there is shame in going about it in such a cowardly way. What is the actual point in us even playing these games if we aren't even going to try?

He's properly clueless and hopefully we don't have to put up with this crap for much longer, although I fear we will as there is no way the club will be looking at changing the manager whilst new owners are waiting in the wings.

Brentford, Villa (cup), Luton and Bournemouth before the Derby. Absolutely crucial that we start picking up some points.

You also look at the list of footballers they have improved! Players we would scoff at and not want anywhere near our XI

Longstaff, Wilson, Almiron, Targett, Schaar, Joelinton, (say it quietly) Gordon
Dunk, Welbeck, Gross, Veltman, Steele, Lallana, WEbster, March

Its why i refuse to subscribe with the 'whats he meant to do with this group of players'
They aren't being used, coached or motivated properly!

Top post, to make it worse those limitations make us play a sterile boring brand of football. Like many I suspect, going to home games no longer gives me any pleasure.
Going the game is torture. Goodison is literally a morgue and it has been that way since Benitez. Makes me so angry that the incompetent fools running our club have allowed our last few years at Goodison to be tarnished in this way.

But back on the footballing side, you're spot on. Let's have it right, we don't play football, we play percentages.