2023/24 Sean Dyche

...and he did also admit that in his post-match presser as well. Said he was pleased with the defensive side but he was scratching his head at just how bad we were at trying to move the ball up the pitch.

He does understand it - but if it keeps happening then he isn't actually addressing it..

Trouble is the Cm 3 are crap at passing, controlling and movin into space.

That is out of his control, what baffles me is that the one player in our team that has the best chance of fixing that problem is garner and he was put on the wing and then dropped.

I’m not saying he’s pirlo, scholes or zidane but compared to gana, onnana and doucs … he is.

People keep saying these players have failed under several managers but apart from Doucoure and Pickford the team on Saturday are not the same players that have failed in the past
Ok so a lot of them have failed under 2 managers then and a lot of others have spent their careers in the same sort of position they’re in now it doesn’t change the point that they just aren’t very good does it.

That is out of his control, what baffles me is that the one player in our team that has the best chance of fixing that problem is garner and he was put on the wing and then dropped.

I’m not saying he’s pirlo, scholes or zidane but compared to gana, onnana and doucs … he is.
I wasn’t a fan of Garner but the more our current three play the better he looks.
Garners issue is he doesn’t fit our current style.
He is technically the best but he’s not a DM, he’s not a playmaker and he’s not some who pushes up and presses like Doucoure is playing.
I think Dyche likes him but won’t change from our current setup.

Maybe if he coached some patterns of play and didn't play Gueye and Doucoure as advanced midfielders, then maybe we could play some football. There is being direct and showing intent, and then there is hoofing the ball away aimlessly. It was very much the latter yesterday. No one had any composure to try and recycle possession and work it forward, they just wanted rid of the ball.

Also we finally have two strikers to choose from …

Playing danjuma and McNeil as inverted wingers is not the way to get quality into the box.

Both are on their weaker foot if the get round the full back… that’s not so bad in itself if you can rely on your FB to overlap and put quality into the box, trouble is our fullbacks are amongst the worst in the league at going forward.

Garner in the middle to play forward with McNeil and dunjama providing crosses may actually result in us carrying a threat going forward

Where’s the famous Dyche “difficult to beat” horrible, awkward, in your face, fouling, hard running side that he at least put in place at Burnley? We didn’t even do the basics or be close to that yesterday?

I don’t mind loosing to a better team if we try and compete and if we actually try and lay a glove on the opposition - the passiveness and willingness to not do that infuriated me yesterday.

Leave one on a few of them in a tackle - take an honest yellow card, get the pig sick crowd on their feet and animated.

Two weeks to prep and he and the players served up that…..

Let's be honest, if it wasn't for a magnificent double save from Pickford, we'd be sitting on 0 points and for the opposition faced, that's criminal

He's a very lucky man that we are now in the process of a 3 month takeover which is the thing that will keep him in a job.
I don’t think him or pretty much any manager really worries about being sacked cos there’s a nice pay off anyway. I expect the only annoying thing for him is the fact we can’t afford to sack him… so he’s stuck with us!

"Could have used him next to Onana but that may mean we play the ball through midfield...cant have that"

Thats what ive written. Has to be Onana + Garner then we can play the ball through the middle and quickly counter attack.

But Dyche doesnt seem to want to play effective football.
I think he had to play through the middle in that game, no other choice. I felt like he high stakes gambled on a few players and lost. 'Dyche Fit' is such a mystery though, McNeil shouldn't have started the game if he was not fit to last the 90 with our current choices on the bench. Him saying we had to get him on for the game despite lacking fitness is insane particularly considering the handling of others. I think he played McNeil to show Garner that he is chill and not at all strict like Garner thinks.

It’s a massive problem. When we did get the ball yesterday we’d given it away again within about 3 seconds. Someone in centre midfield needs to get hold of the ball and bring McNeil, Danjuma and Calvert-Lewin into the game. Garner looks most qualified to do that.

Is it really though?

a) as the manager/coach, at the very least he should be identifying both the strengths & deficiencies of each member of his squad and work around them to balance the side accordingly. Like a number of managers we've had before him, he often seems surprised when they can't perform the way he wants them to when it's seemingly been obvious to fans (and a number of pundits) why for ages..

b) even this aside - isn't it the managers job, along with his staff, to try and at least improve each player in general? Dwight McNeil aside, again I've seen no real widespread evidence of this from Dyche..

It’s a massive problem. When we did get the ball yesterday we’d given it away again within about 3 seconds. Someone in centre midfield needs to get hold of the ball and bring McNeil, Danjuma and Calvert-Lewin into the game. Garner looks most qualified to do that.

Agreed, it may not be the answer , he may be gash too… but he is the only one that looks like he may be able to do it and is the only one that hasn’t been given the opportunity to show what he can do in his natural position ..

Personably I think he would do well ( comparatively speaking) and onnana may actually improve if he has someone he can actually trust with the ball when I’m possession. I would drop doucs personally and have garner in the middle of the 3 CM