2023/24 Beto

Not to jump in here but...

He said "I think Dyche felt he had to win in front of the home crowd- so he went really strong." and then "I disagree with it entirely but I understand why he felt pressured not to start Beto"

You said "You disagree entirely with a football team wanting to win a game of football?"

Which is not a quote, nor is it literally a quote. Its literally not a quote, which is a slightly better example of both "literally" and "quote". In fact it doesnt even appear to be an accurate representation of what he said which, disagree with or not, was in simple rephrasing"I understand why he felt pressured not to start beto, but I disagree with it entirely. I think Dyche felt he had to win in front of the home crowd- so he went really strong." As you can see that is not "You disagree entirely with a football team wanting to win a game of football?" But please for the love of everything dont quote me on that, especially if its in the way you quote things.
Imagine writing all that and thinking you’re really clever and then finding out that I meant quote as in the quote function. That would be really embarrassing wouldn’t it. Anyway whether you want to get all hot and bothered about the word literally or not and most people don’t on places like this because it’s not school, the clear inference of what he’s saying is that he disagrees entirely with going really strong and feeling we had to win. That’s still ridiculous as far as I’m concerned but maybe I’m in the minority or is it just an American thing where fans think losing is the way forward.

Last edited:
Imagine writing all that and thinking you’re really clever and then finding out that I meant quote as in the quote function. That would be really embarrassing wouldn’t it. Anyway whether you want to get all hot and bothered about the word literally or not and most people don’t on places like this because it’s not school, the clear inference of what he’s saying is that he disagrees entirely with going really strong and feeling we had to win. That’s still ridiculous as far as I’m concerned but maybe I’m in the minority or is it just an American thing where fans think losing is the way forward.
With all due respect, I think you’re missing the point slightly. He explained why he thought Dyche didn’t rest players, and then he said he disagreed with not resting players. I don’t think that is too controversial a statement. It’s not like picking a weaker team would automatically have led to a defeat or been a white flag, coaches rest their best players all the time, particularly in the Carabao cup.

With all due respect, I think you’re missing the point slightly. He explained why he thought Dyche didn’t rest players, and then he said he disagreed with not resting players. I don’t think that is too controversial a statement. It’s not like picking a weaker team would automatically have led to a defeat or been a white flag, coaches rest their best players all the time, particularly in the Carabao cup.
I’m not missing the point I just don’t agree with it it’s not a big deal really but getting told to shut it and being called dumb for it doesn’t really go down well with me so I thought I’d carry on. At the end of the day I think disagreeing entirely with playing the team most likely to win the game is a silly way of looking at it. Saying it’s not what you’d do or something is one thing but saying you disagree entirely really makes it sound like you think we shouldn’t be trying to win. He could have just said no you’ve misunderstood me but he didn’t he started flinging insults instead.

I’m not missing the point I just don’t agree with it it’s not a big deal really but getting told to shut it and being called dumb for it doesn’t really go down well with me so I thought I’d carry on. At the end of the day I think disagreeing entirely with playing the team most likely to win the game is a silly way of looking at it. Saying it’s not what you’d do or something is one thing but saying you disagree entirely really makes it sound like you think we shouldn’t be trying to win. He could have just said no you’ve misunderstood me but he didn’t he started flinging insults instead.
Think you're being a bit sensitive here. There's little difference in disagreeing with something and disagreeing entirely. You ridiculed his post by accusing him of jumping the shark. To paraphrase your own words above, you could have just said you have a slightly different view with out resorting to ridicule. You did exactly what you are criticising him for doing.

You’re in the good books, son.

For now.

IMG_3556.jpeg

I best thing I took from his performance was that he looked as if he cared about the result. He appears to be a player who is prepared to put the effort in to win. I hope what he and Seamus has is catching, I hope we can get to see a proper Everton team, if not in class in commitment.
I am not getting carried away as I have turned many a corner with Everton, but the hope is seeping back.

He's like a mix of Straq & Niasse...

... sadly he also has the first touch of Rom on a bad day, if he can get that sorted he will be fantastic. He's similar to DCL (in that he's big physical and can lead the line) but totally different to him at the same time - a great option/alternative.

He's like a mix of Straq & Niasse...

... sadly he also has the first touch of Rom on a bad day, if he can get that sorted he will be fantastic. He's similar to DCL (in that he's big physical and can lead the line) but totally different to him at the same time - a great option/alternative.

Bloody hell what an accolade