2023/24 Andre Gomes

Type of player that we'd benefit from when we're going to have possession. Not saying he would have, but perhaps could have played a good part in the Luton defeat had he been fit.
It's the type of game we always struggle in and we are crying out for a player like him who can make a difference

Needs must I think.

Question is could Garner do a different role when Gomes is required on the pitch? The signs i've seen of Garner (doing a good job at right back), he probably could.

Ultimately, we all believe he's the furthest from a Dyche player, and it's probably true, but we don't know it. Even at Burnley Dyche had Steven Defour who had a bit about him.

He was really good from what I saw today. Positive on the ball, A confident Andre Gomes is a good player, it's whether he can maintain that sort of 'arrogant confidence' for a good period of the season.

Cracking goal btw, some technique.

Yeah Garner can do a job in the utility wide roles as we've seen but I'd prefer to keep him central, show faith when he dosen't have amazing games and generally watch him develop.

This is what someone like Brighton does with Billy Gilmour. When he is part of midfield that loses 6-1 at Villa Park they still start him the next weekend. So for all those endlessly moaning about why this club has fallen so far behind Brighton generally in last few years that's a big reason why.

Also Harrison has assumed the workhorse wide role.

Gomes has a part to play off the bench over this festive period based on today, that's clear. Then will probably get a start in the cup at Palace.

It's the type of game we always struggle in and we are crying out for a player like him who can make a difference
I'm not saying hes a world beater or anything, far from it, but that type of game against Luton, Doucoures positive traits are completely rendered null and void. When we have possession for the majority of the game, he shouldn't be on the pitch. All of Doucoures positive traits are when we dont have the ball. His pressing, his energy, his athleticism. He isn't a good technical footballer, but in the system we are employing he is perfect for that high energy support role.

Against teams like Luton, All of that goes out of the window and we need a bit more cuteness and technical ability from that behind the striker.

Yeah Garner can do a job in the utility wide roles as we've seen but I'd prefer to keep him central, show faith when he dosen't have amazing games and generally watch him develop.

This is what someone like Brighton does with Billy Gilmour. When he is part of midfield that loses 6-1 at Villa Park they still start him the next weekend. So for all those endlessly moaning about why this club has fallen so far behind Brighton generally in last few years that's a big reason why.

Also Harrison has assumed the workhorse wide role.

Gomes has a part to play off the bench over this festive period based on today, that's clear. Then will probably get a start in the cup at Palace.
Sorry I wasn't suggesting moving Garner away from the midfield. I meant more so if Doucoure is injured, and Gana is off to the AFCON, could Garner do another role in midfield to allow Gomes his best role?

I love Jimmy G mate, think hes really developed and made that starting place his own. Is a good technical footballer and doesn't shy away from a thing.

Dunno, he looked disciplined in positioning and put himself about round the pitch both defensively and in attack.
Great performance, guess it was always about consistency with him though, but was getting plaudits in France last season.

IMO his mentality will be a bit too lightweight for Dyche in long term. We've seen that in his career here and indeed was same at Valencia and Barca.

Dyche is trying to forge a tough to beat and resilient mentality amongst the regular starters and there's been great encouragement from the results over last three months to indicate it's working, especially away given the disgraceful results the club have churned out over last few years on the road.

I just can't see Gomes getting into that select group. On ability yes he'd be in a footballing 11 all day but you need more than that to win games regularly at prem level.

I think it's a case of transfer window coming up, he's still around and clearly training o.k so Dyche probably felt it was a sort of free hit game to give him some minutes to see how he does. No different to starting Ellis Simms at Old Trafford last season.

it was a wide open game so that helped him find some good passes, really opened them up but he wont get that luxury in many games.
Horses for courses mate. I honestly think based on today we can hold our own against anyone and we need different types of players for different scenarios. I was wondering why he didn’t play Danjuma when Gana got injured but it was brave of Dyche playing Gomes when we were 2-0 down. People maybe thought we were waving the white flag but a good portion of the game we were better than them they haven’t had such a difficult game at home all season. The Villa and Wedt Ham losses were were smash and grab. Dyche is proving a lot of doubters wrong in my opinion. I also thought after slow start Mykolenko and Garner were outstanding.