Carlo At Everton.

Few things that I take from that.

Carlo left as soon as things got a bit hard and he couldn’t buy his way out of it.

More proof that Brands wasn’t allowed to do his job because managers were given greater credence on transfers. Kenwright being in the transfer discussions shows how poor the leadership was by allowing/supporting that to happen. (Don’t forget about the buying “gifts” for managers).

Interesting interview with Davide Ancelotti about their time, relationships and events at Everton.:

“Me and my father (Carlo Ancelotti) enjoyed our time at Everton. We came in at the end of 2019 with a plan to get the club to where we all felt it deserved to be, competing at the top.

The owner (Farhad Moshiri) sold us a vision which really excited us, we knew then that this was the place to really achieve that. The club had clearly went through a period of instability and we were determined to change that.

Everyone knows that the Premier League isn’t easy, that first season was difficult. Everton was at the wrong end of the table when we took over. What we took from that season was the assessment of the squad and how we would improve that in the Summer.

Unfortunately by this time, the world was a few months into a pandemic. This had a significant impact on Football and the financial implications were great. This is something we had to work with.

That summer (2020) we were able to do some business to improve the squad including bringing in a player me and my father knew very well in James Rodriguez. However during this time problems began, there was a number of disagreements with the Director of Football (Marcel Brands) on strategy.

He (Brands) wanted players which we felt weren’t the right fit for Everton, in the end we came to an agreement on the players we would pursue but this was a long and difficult process.

The Chairman (Bill Kenwright who passed away in October 2023) would often sit in at these meetings giving advice which we found strange as this was something I had not seen at other football clubs.”

Following the summer we started the season (2020/21) really well and we were confident that the club could really achieve european Football. There was of course a couple of poor runs throughout the season which ultimately cost us and we finished 10th, this was very disappointing.

My father had grown increasingly frustrated with the business done in the January window that season and after a meeting with the Chairman at the end of the season we discovered that the club had very little to spend in the summer (2021).

We were also told this was something unlikely to change for a number of years, at this point I think my father had made his decision that this project was coming to an end.

Just a day after this meeting Real Madrid had approached us to take over there, it was a pretty easy decision but that isn’t out of respect for Everton. It’s a wonderful football club however with the serious financial problems it was facing we decided that is was the right decision to leave.”

Can't say I'm shocked to be honest, especially with Kenwright needlesy sat in those meetings giving his some what advice

Few things that I take from that.

Carlo left as soon as things got a bit hard and he couldn’t buy his way out of it.

More proof that Brands wasn’t allowed to do his job because managers were given greater credence on transfers. Kenwright being in the transfer discussions shows how poor the leadership was by allowing/supporting that to happen. (Don’t forget about the buying “gifts” for managers).
Nah, honestly not how it probably is - he's one of the best players and managers of all time, came in to provide his expertise and knowledge to get us to progress, got shafted by Brands and Kenwrong. He has NOTHING to prove like that - it's not some up and commer, he's won everything ever, got disrespected massively, left.

If you were hired as a manager in any line of business and get lied to or stopped nearly every time you want to do anything - yeah, you'd leave for pastures greener. Still think he'd have probably finished 1 more season with us even if it was very mediocre or he had to pull another JameZ out of his arse, but Real Madrid coming over - no man in his right mind would ever reject that lol

Nah, honestly not how it probably is - he's one of the best players and managers of all time, came in to provide his expertise and knowledge to get us to progress, got shafted by Brands and Kenwrong. He has NOTHING to prove like that - it's not some up and commer, he's won everything ever, got disrespected massively, left.

If you were hired as a manager in any line of business and get lied to or stopped nearly every time you want to do anything - yeah, you'd leave for pastures greener. Still think he'd have probably finished 1 more season with us even if it was very mediocre or he had to pull another JameZ out of his arse, but Real Madrid coming over - no man in his right mind would ever reject that lol
Pulling James out of his arse is one of the biggest problems we had though you can’t pay a player 250k a week and come 10th

Brands never stood a chance. Kenwright and Moshiri didn't listen to him when it came to managerial appointments and clearly both stuck their noses in when it came to signings.

Half or more of the senior appointments made since Moyes would have faired much better if the club was run like most other clubs, not even well, just normal and not dysfunctional.

He spent over £150m on rubbish.

Gbamin (crock)
Delph (crock)
Gomes (crock)
Kean (poor attitude)
Mina (crock)
Godfrey (rubbish)
Sidibe (rubbish)
Lossl (rubbish)
Benard (massive wages)

Oh, I don’t begrudge him going for Real Madrid. Any manager worth their salt would do the same.

But in that interview they had made the decision to leave before Real Madrid because there was little cash available.

By the way that reads. Brands had a different direction (which being the DoF, managers should be brought in to fit that, not the other way round) yet Carlo still got Allan and James in, so was he shafted by Brands?

He spent over £150m on rubbish.

Gbamin (crock)
Delph (crock)
Gomes (crock)
Kean (poor attitude)
Mina (crock)
Godfrey (rubbish)
Sidibe (rubbish)
Lossl (rubbish)
Benard (massive wages)
Gbamin is unfortunate.
Gomes was a fully understandable deal based on his loan.
Kean we made a profit on.
Sidibie was a loan that didn’t work out.
Lossl was cover and very cheap.

Delph was crap.
Bernard was big wages but did an ok job.
Mina was excellent when fit and was key in us staying up last seasons
Godfrey is a poor signing for the cost.

Cherry picking signings. Branthwaite is going to make us a bucketload of money at some point. Mykolenko is an excellent signing (scouted by us long before Benitez came).

Well we also didn't pay him 250k

His wages shoot up every time someone mentions him.
Ok none of us know what we paid him but I’ve seen that figure mentioned ever since we signed him right up until an article someone posted yesterday. He didn’t come here on the same wages as our normal players so I can believe it but it’s the same if he was on half that amount anyway you don’t put the cherry on the cake before you’ve baked it.