2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

You mean the one where Dom was jogging into the box when he should have sprinted? I think its fair to think he should have been in a better position, but having watched it, I think he didn't realise there was a chance building up at the time as his view was slightly obstructed. I dont know if that was the case but thats how I saw it. That being said, who was Harrison playing it to? Yes it was a good ball, but only if someone's there. He could have played it to dom on the edge of the box and maybe something would come from that. Playing it in while no one is in the box is just pointless.

any centre forward should be gambling on chances coming their way. Mind you this is calvert lewin and according to some everything has to be put on a plate for him.
He's a lucky lad that there is so little in terms of other options. But as much as it seems pointless in mentioning looking at this position because we just fail time and time again in recruitment i dont see much choice in having to look again as calvert lewin is an issue.

We're desperately in need of points, and we're more likely to get them with him, than Beto or Chermiti IMO.

He's in stinking form, but he's still a top player.
I disagree with this. For me, the only "top players" we have are Pickford and maybe branthwaite. Onana has potential, but isn't there yet.

The rest are very much players of a team at a bottom half of the table and I wouldn't lose sleep if they weren't at the club.

I disagree with this. For me, the only "top players" we have are Pickford and maybe branthwaite. Onana has potential, but isn't there yet.

The rest are very much players of a team at a bottom half of the table and I wouldn't lose sleep if they weren't at the club.

I reckon if I search your posts you'd have been advocating we sell Branthwaite because we have Coady, when others who know the game were saying this way back in 2021 ;)

But as for Calvert-Lewin - he's 26.

He was deputy only to Harry Kane for England not so long ago.

What's that saying about form being temporary?

In the right team, and played to his strength he hits these numbers;

1707742718929.png

^ That's no fluke.

You don't hit 13, and then 16 league goals in consecutive Prem League seasons is a below par side without being good enough for today's Everton.

... He's no doubt a top player.

We can argue semantics around what constitutes 'top', but the reality is we don't have any better centre forward on our books and we aren't signing a better one anytime soon, either.

Those who have any grasp on the game will recognise what type of centre forward he is.

Ancelotti knew the score with him - told him to stay central and wait. To never leave the lines of the 6 yard box. Back then he had Digne, Sigurdsson, Rodriguez... even Walcott, Bernard etc.

Now, we have no full back who can cross a ball. No winger with pace, who can cross a ball. And no centre midfield capable of passing a ball forward. We rely on the chaos of Doucoure athleticism in a number 10 role, and groks from centre pieces. Where's the composure in this team?

He's playing with his back to goal, with no support, or runners. We're asking him to come deep/build play. Often, he does it well - certainly better than Beto.

We're a graveyard for centre forwards and will be until we find some pace and creativity.

Most underestimate the importance of confidence which breeds belief, and that comes through goals.

I don't want to write Beto off but from what I've seen, and given the massive importance of every point - I'm playing Calvert-Lewin.

I reckon if I search your posts you'd have been advocating we sell Branthwaite because we have Coady, when others who know the game were saying this way back in 2021 ;)

You don't hit 13, and then 16 league goals in consecutive Prem League seasons is a below par side without being good enough for today's Everton.

... He's no doubt a top player.

What does it matter what he done 3 or 4 seasons ago though?

Last 2 seasons he's been average ( injured a lot as we know )

This season he's not been injured and been below average.

You say its not a fluke, but form would suggest it was a fluke.

What does it matter what he done 3 or 4 seasons ago though?

Last 2 seasons he's been average ( injured a lot as we know )

This season he's not been injured and been below average.

You say its not a fluke, but form would suggest it was a fluke.

He's proven credentials.

He's 26 and demonstrated he's capable of scoring double figures in the league.

History can, and often does indicate the future.

We don't have another striker who has given any hint whatsoever they'd be able to score goals as Calvert-Lewin has.

Is Maupay better than Calvert-Lewin?

Why is Maupay outscoring him?

Why is Maupay scoring 10, 8, 8 league goals per season and 5 so far this season elsewhere but couldn't at Everton?

It's almost like the problem isn't as simple as Everton's centre forward just being crap.

He will go on a scoring spree keep us up and get in the England squad for the euros as backup for Kane who gets injured in the 1st match
Dom comes in and single handedly wins England the trophy then Newcastle give us 100 million for him
then we all live happily ever after

Short memories.

We've got to back the lad. Snarling at him does nobody no favours.

I think the counter-argument would be that it may have been a purple patch, rather than a true reflection of his overall capability to score goals.

Before you shoot back, I've been a long-term advocate and defender of Dom, and I do think there's a good player still there. However...

... I do think it's hard to not question him based on what we've seen recently, and further afield. When I currently watch him play, I don't see that same enthusiasm.

He's proven credentials.

He's 26 and demonstrated he's capable of scoring double figures in the league.

History can, and often does indicate the future.

We don't have another striker who has given any hint whatsoever they'd be able to score goals as Calvert-Lewin has.

Is Maupay better than Calvert-Lewin?

Why is Maupay outscoring him?

Why is Maupay scoring 10, 8, 8 league goals per season and 5 so far this season elsewhere but couldn't at Everton?

It's almost like the problem isn't as simple as Everton's centre forward just being crap.

ok but this isn't really what you originally said?

you said he was a top striker, now your comparing him to Maupay who most definitely isn't a top striker. and saying because he got double figures in goals he's proven it, mate there are dozens of strikers who have managed that over the years, and not all of them are great.

I do agree DCL "on his day" is our best striker, but he's performing terribly, so i think it's only fair if Beto or chermiti are given a run, honestly what's the worst that can happen? they also don't score or play well?

to much emphasis is put on DCL not getting chances and how we don't create for him, which only tells half the picture, do we create loads?? no, should DCL score a lot more than he does on current chances created? absolutely yes

I think the counter-argument would be that it may have been a purple patch, rather than a true reflection of his overall capability to score goals.

Over 2 years?

Ancelotti preferred him as a number 9 to Richarlison.

The true acid test will be when he gets off. I predict tears, and lots of "WHY DIDNT HE DO THAT FOR US".

You let him in effect 'goal hang' and get some pace to him, and at the very least he scores more than Maupay.

Before you shoot back, I've been a long-term advocate and defender of Dom, and I do think there's a good player still there. However...

... I do think it's hard to not question him based on what we've seen recently, and further afield.

Question by all means. I'm sure he himself is questioning himself.

But let's keep it fair/realistic.