2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL is indeed a proven entity. That's why the manager chose, rightly for a time, to stick by him.

At this point, though, it's very hard to justify playing a fella as your first choice when he hasn't scored in nigh-on 20 games. That's basically saying - rightly or wrongly - that the alternatives are no good. And that, frankly, is an indictment not just of Beto - if the judgement is correct - but also of Dyche and Thelwell who brought him in. At some point, somebody needs to take some responsibility.

So, Dyche comes out of this poorly as far as I'm concerned.

The other possibility to consider is that DCL, for whatever reason, is no longer the player he was - or we thought he might be. That happens all the time. He's had some bad injuries. It's not implausible that he's gone into decline.

You think Chermiti or Beto should play over Calvert-Lewin.

Fair enough. Plenty agree with you.

I just think given our perilous situation, I'd rather go with a striker who I know is capable - who has proven they are.

Chermiti who was Sporting's 4th choice a few months back would be a big gamble, as would Beto from what I've saw. Hope Beto comes good, needs time to assess.

i think they should at least be given a good run of games to show what they can do, ( Mainly beto )

it only goes 2 ways.

1- they end up doing alrite, scoring a few goals
2- they are turkeys and don't do anything.

DCL is currently at number 2 now, so i think it's worth a shot

Short memories.

We've got to back the lad. Snarling at him does nobody no favours.

People have totally forgotten how we played when he was out. Possibly the worst everton team I’ve watched since Walter Smith.
As long as he’s fit he will be playing every game from now until the end of the season. If he gets injured we are in big trouble as things stand.

We're desperately in need of points, and we're more likely to get them with him, than Beto or Chermiti IMO.

He's in stinking form, but he's still a top player.
I'm just not sure that is true anymore. At the start of the season I would have totally agreed with you but the last 2 months not only has he not scored but he's been less effective at all the things that made up for his lack of goals too (holding the ball up, bullying defenders, causing havoc in the box when the ball is in the air). I don't know if it's complacency, a lack of confidence, or something else but he needs, and more importantly we need, a change. Maybe a rest and some time on the training pitch and/or with the sports psychologists can reset his form. He's had plenty of time and opportunities to play himself back into form and he just looks lost out there at the moment. I'm not having a pop at him but he's not doing it for us at the moment.

I'm just not sure that is true anymore. At the start of the season I would have totally agreed with you but the last 2 months not only has he not scored but he's been less effective at all the things that made up for his lack of goals too (holding the ball up, bullying defenders, causing havoc in the box when the ball is in the air). I don't know if it's complacency, a lack of confidence, or something else but he needs, and more importantly we need, a change. Maybe a rest and some time on the training pitch and/or with the sports psychologists can reset his form. He's had plenty of time and opportunities to play himself back into form and he just looks lost out there at the moment. I'm not having a pop at him but he's not doing it for us at the moment.
Struggling to remember every single game but Fulham away he did well, same vs Villa iirc. He's put a few chances the way of Harrison in a couple of games I think. I'm not sure he's ever been a proper bully but his all round play in many games has been decent. Last weekend is the poorest he's been for a good while, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back