2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok but this isn't really what you originally said?

It is;

We're desperately in need of points, and we're more likely to get them with him, than Beto or Chermiti IMO.

He's in stinking form, but he's still a top player.

you said he was a top striker, now your comparing him to Maupay who most definitely isn't a top striker. and saying because he got double figures in goals he's proven it, mate there are dozens of strikers who have managed that over the years, and not all of them are great.

To reaffirm the significance of playing style on a striker.

I said Maupay was never a number 9/would score elsewhere, as he did before Everton and look - he is. A good manager is playing him in a 2, because the team they have allow for it.

I do agree DCL "on his day" is our best striker, but he's performing terribly, so i think it's only fair if Beto or chermiti are given a run, honestly what's the worst that can happen? they also don't score or play well?

Well, the worst that could happen is us going down.

As I said I think we're more likely to get points with Calvert-Lewin upfront, than Beto.

On a bad day, I still think Calvert-Lewin gives the team more.

If were clear of relegation I'd be more inclined to say give Beto an extended run - but give me %/pragmatism when facing a relegation scrap. Same is true at full back with Patterson, as is I don't play him.

to much emphasis is put on DCL not getting chances and how we don't create for him, which only tells half the picture, do we create loads?? no, should DCL score a lot more than he does on current chances created? absolutely yes

Yeah, people said the same about Maupay. And will say the same about any striker we have in this team.

We're a graveyard for strikers.

Carlo Ancelotti suggested Calvert-Lewin has all the qualities to be a top striker: "He is fantastic with the head, clever in the box and sharp. I think he is going to be at the top in England and in Europe."

Suppose it depends on who you speak to, Dan.
That was all prior to numerous serious injuries which appear to have severely impacted his confidence and the way he plays as he just doesn't look the same player imo.

It is;

To reaffirm the significance of playing style on a striker.

I said Maupay was never a number 9/would score elsewhere, as he did before Everton and look - he is. A good manager is playing him in a 2, because the team they have allow for it.

Well, the worst that could happen is us going down.

As I said I think we're more likely to get points with Calvert-Lewin upfront, than Beto.

On a bad day, I still think Calvert-Lewin gives the team more.

If were clear of relegation I'd be more inclined to say give Beto an extended run - but give me %/pragmatism when facing a relegation scrap. Same is true at full back with Patterson, as is I don't play him.

Yeah, people said the same about Maupay. And will say the same about any striker we have in this team.

We're a graveyard for strikers.

I Agree on maupay, he most definitely isn't someone who should be played upfront on his own, which is why he stunk here, and now he's dropped back a bit at brentford he's looking better.

"Well, the worst that could happen is us going down."

i just can't agree on this though, he hasnt scored for 20 games and isnt helping the team at all currently, it's not like earlier on in the season, or at times last season where ok he wasnt scoring but he was playing well. he's just outright been dreadful for about 2 months now, beto and chermiti havent been given a run like he has to show they can or cannot do better, i honestly dont think our strikers could be any worse than what dcl is currently

I reckon if I search your posts you'd have been advocating we sell Branthwaite because we have Coady, when others who know the game were saying this way back in 2021 ;)

But as for Calvert-Lewin - he's 26.

He was deputy only to Harry Kane for England not so long ago.

What's that saying about form being temporary?

In the right team, and played to his strength he hits these numbers;

View attachment 245726

^ That's no fluke.

You don't hit 13, and then 16 league goals in consecutive Prem League seasons is a below par side without being good enough for today's Everton.

... He's no doubt a top player.

We can argue semantics around what constitutes 'top', but the reality is we don't have any better centre forward on our books and we aren't signing a better one anytime soon, either.

Those who have any grasp on the game will recognise what type of centre forward he is.

Ancelotti knew the score with him - told him to stay central and wait. To never leave the lines of the 6 yard box. Back then he had Digne, Sigurdsson, Rodriguez... even Walcott, Bernard etc.

Now, we have no full back who can cross a ball. No winger with pace, who can cross a ball. And no centre midfield capable of passing a ball forward. We rely on the chaos of Doucoure athleticism in a number 10 role, and groks from centre pieces. Where's the composure in this team?

He's playing with his back to goal, with no support, or runners. We're asking him to come deep/build play. Often, he does it well - certainly better than Beto.

We're a graveyard for centre forwards and will be until we find some pace and creativity.

Most underestimate the importance of confidence which breeds belief, and that comes through goals.

I don't want to write Beto off but from what I've seen, and given the massive importance of every point - I'm playing Calvert-Lewin.
None of that matters. He/we are cursed and he's not scoring for us until 2027. Or he'll move on and destroy us on his return to Goodison.

I'll be honest mate, I'd just lap up the churn and ad revenue his divisivness creates! ;)

Carlo Ancelotti suggested Calvert-Lewin has all the qualities to be a top striker: "He is fantastic with the head, clever in the box and sharp. I think he is going to be at the top in England and in Europe."

Suppose it depends on who you speak to, Dan.
well as great as carlo is, that didnt go well did it?

Think Giroud went about 15 games without scoring at Arsenal

I don't think you can say two seasons of decent numbers in a relatively average team can't be used to show he is a decent striker, and then say a couple injury plagued seasons followed by an admittedly very bad goal drought in a crap team prove he isn't.

He may be completely done though. Who knows. I still like him and think he is trying and hope he bags a few key goals before the seasons end.

As a bonus I like that off the pitch he seems to annoy and wind up the type of footy fans that Ive no time for.

That was all prior to numerous serious injuries which appear to have severely impacted his confidence and the way he plays as he just doesn't look the same player imo.
We also don't look at all like a team creating chances for a striker, rather relying on chaos. This is the reverse of Silva - he wanted the ball in the box relentlessly, whereas now we're afraid and set up to never do that for some reason, instead going always direct all the time.

OH yeah also we have no attacking full backs as that's the anti-Dyche tactic sadly and they shouldn't venture ahead often, once or twice a game is enough.

I Agree on maupay, he most definitely isn't someone who should be played upfront on his own, which is why he stunk here, and now he's dropped back a bit at brentford he's looking better.

"Well, the worst that could happen is us going down."

i just can't agree on this though, he hasnt scored for 20 games and isnt helping the team at all currently, it's not like earlier on in the season, or at times last season where ok he wasnt scoring but he was playing well. he's just outright been dreadful for about 2 months now, beto and chermiti havent been given a run like he has to show they can or cannot do better, i honestly dont think our strikers could be any worse than what dcl is currently

You think Chermiti or Beto should play over Calvert-Lewin.

Fair enough. Plenty agree with you.

I just think given our perilous situation, I'd rather go with a striker who I know is capable - who has proven they are.

Chermiti who was Sporting's 4th choice a few months back would be a big gamble, as would Beto from what I've saw. Hope Beto comes good, needs time to assess.

Do you reckon we could sell him in the summer on the basis that he was Kane’s backup 4 years ago when fans weren’t allowed to attend matches? Would a serious association football club fall for that do you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back