2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like some weird cult this. He’s just a very mediocre footballer, always has been.
I'm not sure anyone is saying he's the second coming of Gerd Muller, tbf. Yes, he's a 1 in 4 striker on a kak run of form in terms of goals, but given our league form without him the past 2 seasons, it's clear the effect he has on the team when he plays.

Struggling to remember every single game but Fulham away he did well, same vs Villa iirc. He's put a few chances the way of Harrison in a couple of games I think. I'm not sure he's ever been a proper bully but his all round play in many games has been decent. Last weekend is the poorest he's been for a good while, imo.
I didn't say he's become completely useless at those things, just that he is less effective at those things now than he was earlier in the season, on top of the complete lack of goals. I'm also not saying leg him from the team permanently, I still think there is a player there, I just think he needs taking out of the firing line for a bit. The story now is that he is a striker that can't score goals and every week that goes by when he is in the team and not scoring just amplifies that. Give him a few games out of the starting line up, let him know he is not going to play every game when he is in poor form, and help him on the training pitch and off the pitch. Then, bring him back in, hopefully he scores and his confidence increases and everybody is better off. At the moment it's like banging his head against a brick wall, it's not working.

i think they should at least be given a good run of games to show what they can do, ( Mainly beto )

it only goes 2 ways.

1- they end up doing alrite, scoring a few goals
2- they are turkeys and don't do anything.

DCL is currently at number 2 now, so i think it's worth a shot

This is where the argument to play Beto falls apart.

If he were outplaying DCL in training and banging the goals in there, then he should obviously be starting.

That doesn't seem to be the case. Dyche may be stubborn with some things, but he's not an idiot and isn't going to risk his job out of some unnamed/unknown loyalty to DCL.

Beto has plenty of experience, they are of similar ages, there's no good reason that Beto isn't playing other than the fact that he isn't very good.

Back to DCL, he needs to score goals or we will be relegated. It's harsh, but it's really that simple. Not generating much against Citeh is one thing, but the drought is much more than that obviously.

This a very valid point and I’d like to explore the reasons behind this curious phenomenon please. Who may be to blame for this?

We've had a steady stream of good quality PL strikers given 30 years of mostly mediocrity.

Dunc/Jeffers/Campbell/Rooney/Yakubu/Lukaku and DCL have all had exceptional seasons in a blue shirt. Some of which kept the club up and brought in huge fees to keep the finances going. Even Richy had some success playing through the middle.

This is where the argument to play Beto falls apart.

That doesn't seem to be the case. Dyche may be stubborn with some things, but he's not an idiot and isn't going to risk his job out of some unnamed/unknown loyalty to DCL.

The irony is strong with this one.

You mean, how we neatly single handedly relegated us last season by playing his mate Keane every single week, despite mina ( even coady)) being available

I'm not sure anyone is saying he's the second coming of Gerd Muller, tbf. Yes, he's a 1 in 4 striker on a kak run of form in terms of goals, but given our league form without him the past 2 seasons, it's clear the effect he has on the team when he plays.

He was involved in 17 league games last season (starting 15), we won 3.

He has missed 4 matches this season - we won one, drew one, lost two - basically average Everton form.

There is no massive change in results when he doesn’t play, it’s a myth.

The irony is strong with this one.

You mean, how we neatly single handedly relegated us last season by playing his mate Keane every single week, despite mina ( even coady)) being available

What loyalty does he have to DCL? I'll hang up and let you answer.

So your whole opinion of a footballer has changed based on 2 months?

Nobody is disputing he's in bad form.
No, not my whole opinion, my opinion of whether he should be in the team at this very moment in time. I don't think he's a bad player, nor do I think he should be out of the team forever, but he does need dropping now, for his own sake as well as the team's. Every game that goes by where he doesn't score is going to affect his confidence, is going to affect the response to him from the crowd, is going to further impact subsequent performances. It's clear he isn't going to play himself back into form at the moment, we've been trying that and it hasn't worked. He needs time out of the starting 11 for a while. Our first team has to be selected on form, we are too poor a side for passengers. Beto and Chermiti don't look great but we have only seen them in bits and pieces, DCL doesn't look great right now and we see him every week, no matter how he plays or how much he affects games. We need to change something, without Doucoure there are no goals in this team at the moment.

What loyalty does he have to Keane?

He SHOULD have the same "loyalty" to every player in the squad

Keane is/was a known quantity to him.

Neither DCL nor Beto are.

Do you not see the difference?

Why would Dyche risk his job to play DCL over Beto, if Beto were the better (or even in form) player?

He was involved in 17 league games last season (starting 15), we won 3.

He has missed 4 matches this season - we won one, drew one, lost two - basically average Everton form.

There is no massive change in results when he doesn’t play, it’s a myth.
Or you could say, he missed over half of last season, and we nearly went down, and he missed over half the season before and we also nearly went down. Whereas this year with him fully fit and in the side we have accrued lots more points.

When he doesn't play, we miss him, as a focal point, massively. Soz like, but it's not a myth at all.

No, not my whole opinion, my opinion of whether he should be in the team at this very moment in time. I don't think he's a bad player, nor do I think he should be out of the team forever, but he does need dropping now, for his own sake as well as the team's. Every game that goes by where he doesn't score is going to affect his confidence, is going to affect the response to him from the crowd, is going to further impact subsequent performances. It's clear he isn't going to play himself back into form at the moment, we've been trying that and it hasn't worked. He needs time out of the starting 11 for a while. Our first team has to be selected on form, we are too poor a side for passengers. Beto and Chermiti don't look great but we have only seen them in bits and pieces, DCL doesn't look great right now and we see him every week, no matter how he plays or how much he affects games. We need to change something, without Doucoure there are no goals in this team at the moment.

So you're saying Dyche should be playing Beto, or Chermiti before Calvert-Lewin?

Fair enough.

As I said earlier, personally - considering our perilous league position, I go for a player who has shown they can score goals at this level over a completely unproven Chermiti, and wildcard in Beto.

I also don't think dropping him and taking him out helps his confidence or form either - only scoring goals will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back