2023/24 Dele

Literally happened when we signed Barry.

We loaned him for his final year of his city contract.

If we signed him preeminently we pay 2m but if he went anywhere else they would have got him for free
I believe we had an option to extend Barry’s contract which when exercised resulted in a payment.
I wouldn’t be suprised if there was something similar in the Dele deal, however extending a contract or having an option to do so, is very different from a contract expiring and the player becoming a free agent.
In Barry’s case we potentially could have let his contract expire but would than have been in competition for his signature with other teams, and any new terms maybe would have cost more than the £2m to City to extend our contract with him.

Let's give him a new and improved contract now!

71An4Q63mOL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

The reports of us supposedly wanting to come to any kind of deal that involves him remaining at Everton are total BS.

We didn't offer the far superior Yerry Mina a new contract for similar reasons, and we won't be offering Dele any new contract either.

Dele is on his way to Wrexham!

The reason we didn't offer Mina a new deal, according to Thelwell, is that we didn't want to block Branthwaite's progress this season

The reason we didn't offer Mina a new deal, according to Thelwell, is that we didn't want to block Branthwaite's progress this season

Also don't think we'd have given him a new deal anyway...one due to money, and two Dyche wanted Coady to stay on but we couldn't afford the £4-5mill Wolves wanted.

How would a ridiculously expensive perma-crock block anyone’s progression into the first team? The only thing he’d block is access to the treatment table, and that’s the real reason we didn’t offer him a new contract.

Nice to see some compassion towards a young lad who spent a lot of his childhood in turmoil and has clearly gone through a bout of heavy depression.
I think the vast majority of people are very sympathetic to his personal situation. I also think that the club has been supportive to him during this time and I am sure we all hope he continues to get the support he needs for his mental health in the future. However, we can't continue to pay a player who doesn't play football matches £5m a season when we are essentially insolvent. Nor can we pay a, relatively, high fee to Spurs if he starts to play. It makes no footballing sense and no business sense. The club has responsibilities to lots of people, not only to a single employee. I'm sorry if that sounds hard hearted but there has to be a limit.

The reports of us supposedly wanting to come to any kind of deal that involves him remaining at Everton are total BS.

We didn't offer the far superior Yerry Mina a new contract for similar reasons, and we won't be offering Dele any new contract either.

Dele is on his way to Wrexham!
I assume the expertise of the medical department was relied on in that decision and I assume their expertise would be sought again.

Not that I'm saying we should offer Dele a deal but Yerry had frequent, recurring issues and his appearance record this season vindicates the decision. The medical experts may have a different view on Dele, I dunno.