2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We shouldn't be resting players on a Tuesday to play Norwich on a Saturday full stop.

Especially when we were already up against it with a few out injured.

In effect throwing a cup competition to prepare for Norwich City at Home. Norwich? Norwich who have lost their last 15 Premier League games on the spin?

If he's hedging his bets, then it's cowardly.

That's my point

The club know how the fans feel about this, so why have they allowed their manager to do it. What are the consequences of last night? Are there even any consequences?

Yet we have people on here defending the manager to the hilt, and some who think it's good that we have fewer games now. Is it any wonder we are a club full of losers.

I think the club are aware of fan sentiments to some extent. I fill out their feedback forms, but that's about the only direct interaction fans get.

It's all about perceptions really. Fans don't kick up any fuss at this club. They clapped Kenwright after years of underachievement, they are extremely loyal (no bad thing at all), and most just shrug their shoulders. I'm not asking for protests, but the perception is that we are easily pleased. And when you see posts saying Benitez will have done well if we stay up, then I think it's hard to argue with that perception.

But again, the people in positions of authority are the only people who have power to change the direction of the club. They know the fans want a trophy, so why have they accepted their manager making lots of unnecessary changes. They aren't oblivious to the fact we have gone 26 years.
Thing is though we have a poor squad. But fringe players still have to play games as they will be needed through out the season from time to time. You have to rotate from time to time. There's ain't one side in the league who don't make changes in the league Cup.

That's my point

The club know how the fans feel about this, so why have they allowed their manager to do it. What are the consequences of last night? Are there even any consequences?

Yet we have people on here defending the manager to the hilt, and some who think it's good that we have fewer games now. Is it any wonder we are a club full of losers.
Weve been a club full of loser for 27 years, not the few month since Rafael has been here, stop being silly

All this 'resting players' malarkey - it isn't that deep lads.

Benitez obviously picked the team he thought would be able to beat QPR and the league cup is a competition that everyone uses to rotate players into.

They were great - we were poor. We're Everton... it happens.

Thing is though we have a poor squad. But fringe players still have to play games as they will be needed through out the season from time to time. You have to rotate from time to time. There's ain't one side in the league who don't make changes in the league Cup.
My issue is with people acting like Doucoure makes a ton of difference yesterday in terms of us being able to actually play some decent footy. He wouldn't because we're a very poor side.

That front four is one player off what starts v Norwich. Six players - at least - who started last night will start on Saturday and possibly against Man Utd too.

That's my point

The consequence, IMO, is he's lost more goodwill than he'll perhaps appreciate. Certainly with me.

Often his PR team have banged the drum he will 'get' the club because of his connections to the city. Evidently, that wasn't on show when taking the piss with his selection against Huddersfield and more so QPR.

This club needs a trophy. Benitez needs points. They shouldn't be exclusive but it was shown to be last night. He's decided to knock the league cup on the head. No Everton manager should be allowed to do that. Approaching 27 bloody years.

I've been muted with my opinion on him. I wasn't totally against Benitez, I tried to take a pragmatic view - Ancelotti left is in the lurch and who else and I didn't want to add to the pile on...

But now, after last night...

Let him take the flak in a season the club have wrote off. When we've got the capacity to spend, we should give it to a manager who the whole fanbase can unite behind. Whether we like it our not, a decent proportion of good blues will just never get behind him. It was the same at Chelsea, he done alright there but a Chelsea fan on here was saying their fanbase was always at each other while he was in charge.

Any manager we have - in Moshiri's own words in 2019;

"Look, Everton is a very, very difficult job in football because you’re two home losses from being disowned by fans"

... But with Benitez, he's a few games from it turning very nasty.

Even when we're winning, there's an air of discontent. Fans are waiting to stick the knife in, others are waiting to start on other fans win, lose or draw.

The fella should be binned the minute it's right for Everton. Not when it becomes desperate.

All this 'resting players' malarkey - it isn't that deep lads.

Benitez obviously picked the team he thought would be able to beat QPR and the league cup is a competition that everyone uses to rotate players into.

They were great - we were poor. We're Everton... it happens.
Worry is it's QPR's second string

Everton are just a very, very bad football team. That being said, the team that played yesterday played in very much the same way that we have all season.

That's my point

We've been thinking short term for ages and it's got us nowhere, although it's sad we got knocked out the only thing that is going to improve us long term is get into Europe. We are not going to win any of the domestic cups unless something drastic happens. Our best hope for a trophy is the conference or Europa where City, Utd, Chelsea and the RS aren't.

That's why I'm not particularly bothered but we have to win on Saturday else it would have all been for nowt.

Thats the crux for me every single side rotates even QPR rotated 4-5 players.

If you dont then you run players into the ground like what happened to Doucoure last season - stress fracture of the foot because he was never given a break as Gbamin and Delph were always injured meaning he had to play.

If Doucoure plays last night and gets a 8 week lay off and we fall to pieces in the league then everyone's on the managers back if we are sat 12th 7+ points off Europe.

The consequence, IMO, is he's lost more goodwill than he'll perhaps appreciate. Certainly with me.

Often his PR team have banged the drum he will 'get' the club because of his connections to the city. Evidently, that wasn't on show when taking the piss with his selection against Huddersfield and more so QPR.

This club needs a trophy. Benitez needs points. They shouldn't be exclusive but it was shown to be last night. He's decided to knock the league cup on the head. No Everton manager should be doing that. Approaching 27 bloody years.

I've been muted with my opinion on him. I wasn't totally against Benitez, I tried to take a pragmatic view - Ancelotti left is in the lurch and who else and I didn't want to add to the pile on...

Let him take the flak in a season the club have wrote off. When we've got the capacity to spend, we should give it to a manager who the whole fanbase can unite behind. Whether we like it our not, a decent proportion of good blues will just never get behind him. It was the same at Chelsea, he done alright there but a Chelsea fan on here was saying their fanbase was always at each other while he was in charge.

"Look, Everton is a very, very difficult job in football because you’re two home losses from being disowned by fans"

Even when we're winning, there's an air of discontent. Fans are waiting to stick the knife in, others are waiting to start on other fans win, lose or draw.

The fella should be binned the minute it's right for Everton. Not when it becomes desperate.

Kinda my issue mate, Benitez only way to win me over was to win, or get to the final of a cup competition. Last night was probably his best chance of that.

I actually feel not a massive amount of ill will towards Benitez now if am honest, he should never have been appointed thats the top and bottom of it. Its going to get nasty, there is no two ways about it.

This club needs a trophy. Benitez needs points. They shouldn't be exclusive but it was shown to be last night. He's decided to knock the league cup on the head. No Everton manager should be allowed to do that. Approaching 27 bloody years.

Stand by to be corrected , apparently he’s almost universally supported and it’s only the odd internet crank that has any concerns.

Any grumblings of discontent you’ve heard so far are part of some mass hallucination apparently.

We either want to win to try and win a trophy or we don't.

The only way we can possibly win something is with our best available players on the pitch. Of course we have a poor squad, and can't rotate and bring in Mahrez and Phil Foden. But by making changes, we are telling the world we don't want to win, because we simply cannot win it with fringe players.

The proof is in the pudding. Benitez isn't arsed about winning a trophy. And that's not what I want from my manager. I would rather win yesterday and stay in the cup than win on Saturday. Our league season will have petered out into midtable irrelevance by March anyway. We are resting to come about 10th.

What's the point?

We've given yet another manager free reign over the entire recruitment process this summer.

Not that he can do much damage with £1.7m and two of the signings brought in have been impressive so far. Happy with them.

But, it shows the structure and process isn't there mate. It's a total, total, total mess.

So you can say 'let him take the flak', sack him when right for Everton etc, but we've handed him the reins this summer and let him target the players - so much so he turned down the RB options Brands suggested (which again, you have to ask how in the world Brands has had so much time to do this yet has come up with 3 names, one of whom isn't even a proper right-back, for the position), and we targetted Rondon all summer because Benitez was determined to get him. Had we shifted a midfielder, we'd have 100% gone and got Longstaff too.

From short-term thinking to short-term thinking. Yet instead of Allan and James, it's Rondon and Townsend.

Status
Not open for further replies.