2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes not my hero.

I was kinda glad to see him go, he failed.

Meanwhile your hero finished 11th, TWICE, with 1 of the best Strikers in Europe in the team.
He bought Lukaku...the best signing since the 80s.

And 72 points with Everton? Mourinho + Guardiola + SAF forming a committee to manage Moyes's dad's army would have managed to get 60 points at a push.

It's as simple as this, we can support the club and want them to do well, but we don't have to have damp undies over Benitez whenever he wins a game or if he does well overall this season.
Well put mate, doing me head in all this nonsense.

Sadly, my undies are damp quite often anyway, but that's nothing to do with Benitez...

All this untrained American eye sees so far about this Everton squad is, absent Richarlison and DCL and with a Gordo Venezolano up front it's still more attacking in intent and more pleasing to the eye than the latter half of last season.

Fully recognize some will stop reading after the first 4-6 words. Probably rightly so.

We're just adjusting to the future because within three years we won't have either so better get used it.

If they put Steven Gerrard in charge with Roy Evans and Robbie Fowler I would still want Everton to win.

Whoa! let's not go overboard.

No but it does matter though. I'm not saying a thing about how good or bad Benitez has been. I am saying however that there was hundreds of millions invested and squandered on the playing staff here and it is the job of the manager to get the best out of them regardless of if their "his" players or not. You're correct in saying there's a major rebuild needed, if there wasn't he wouldn't be the manager quite simply. Much like Allardyce he was brought in to serve a purpose and it was not to spend £30m on every player, if we were able to go that route we'd go with a much different manager.

He's known for being pragmatic and working with a budget, saying that he'll never get to spend a massive amount of money or that he himself needs to oversee the next £100m spent on the squad is wrong in my opinion because he isn't the type of manager you give that sort of money to, he's someone you give the likes of Townsend and Gray players who lets be honest should be grateful to sign for us in the summer and he gets them to work hard, you don't give him big money players because everywhere he's been that has them in the past 10 years has bombed him out because he falls out with them.
I do think he will be given substantial funds but first finances have to be brought back into line and wages relative to turnover most of all.

All managers have successes and failures in the transfer market and I think managers learn as they gain experience what players have a better chance of succeeding than others.

Somebody pointing out a transfer that didn't work maybe fifteen years ago for any manager is largely irrelevant imo. That is to suggest that a manager can't learn from their mistakes.

If nothing else I think there will be money from the sale of Richarlison who will go to either Real or PSG next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.