2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did we have no injuries last season mate? When did carlo have a full squad?

Please point out all those games when he had his full first 11 available and zero injuries.

He didn't, but that's not what people are saying - the difference is the sustained issues and just how many key players have been missing or playing half-fit.

You can easily point to Ancelotti playing four centre halves with Holgate in midfield against Brighton, but that was the odd game - it wasn't like five on the spin, and he pretty much always had a genuinely brilliant DCL available (except actually that game!)

This was the bench for that Brighton game and it may well just be the worst ever selected for a top flight game.

1638642200975.png

So yeah, the squad depth problem isn't new - but Benitez has had sustained problems with injuries.

When Ancelotti left the feeling was that the squad was capable of wonders and we were really unlucky and should have made Europe etc.

It was thought that the players caught wind of the manager leaving and went on holiday early, but next year we can kick on and should make Europe.

The manager has done overnight what took Moyes about 5 years in lowering the expectations so much that 3 points currently be seen as some form of managerial miracle.

Was it? On what planet was that the case?

For me, after the mad run in December, I thought if we brought 3-4 in in January we may have an outside shot at Europe. When the window slammed shut in January, it was a write off of a season.

If you had those expectations, that's on you as it was by no means the reality of the situation.

Oh, and here's my proof that was my thoughts.

I understand the anger I guess but for me personally I see it as a borderline miracle we're still talking about Europe instead of possible relegation.

So I'm just "meh" on it and have been by and large since January.

He didn't, but that's not what people are saying - the difference is the sustained issues and just how many key players have been missing or playing half-fit.

You can easily point to Ancelotti playing four centre halves with Holgate in midfield against Brighton, but that was the odd game - it wasn't like five on the spin, and he pretty much always had a genuinely brilliant DCL available (except actually that game!)

This was the bench for that Brighton game and it may well just be the worst ever selected for a top flight game.

View attachment 147566

So yeah, the squad depth problem isn't new - but Benitez has had sustained problems with injuries.
Ancelotti named some of the worst benches I've ever seen. He had a ton of injuries as well. The idea he had a fully fit squad is utter fake news.

Defensively organised - No
Hardworking - No
Would punt non-performing players - No
Would take no messing - No
A winners mentality - No
Tactically aware - No

It’s these practical and observable things that are of real concern.

We look like we are going to concede a goal every time the opposition has a corner. The defence is all over the place, the players look dejected and unmotivated, we seldom create any chances.

We are currently experiencing actual relegation form and it’s been going on for over two months!

When Ancelotti left the feeling was that the squad was capable of wonders and we were really unlucky and should have made Europe etc.

It was thought that the players caught wind of the manager leaving and went on holiday early, but next year we can kick on and should make Europe.

The manager has done overnight what took Moyes about 5 years in lowering the expectations so much that 3 points currently be seen as some form of managerial miracle.
WTF?!?!

Holgate, Delph, Iwobi, Seamus, Keane, Gomes, Gylf, off form Digne and patchty pickford.....mate, NO ONE thought we were capable of anything based on our form after Christmas. At least Carlo had bang average players to chose from, RB hasnt even had that for best part of three months

15th and 5 points from rock bottom. What a season. Whole club from top to bottom should be a fecking shamed of themselves.

Was it? On what planet was that the case?

For me, after the mad run in December, I thought if we brought 3-4 in in January we may have an outside shot at Europe. When the window slammed shut in January, it was a write off of a season.

If you had those expectations, that's on you as it was by no means the reality of the situation.

Oh, and here's my proof that was my thoughts.
Yes there were plenty of fans filled with hope, thinking we had a great manager who was committed getting results second in the table and finished on 59 points just outside Europe mordor win in style ticked off. He also had similar bad luck stories to cope with.

I'm not talking about myself I never mentioned that once.

Nothing even close to our last three months
Richarlison had a 3 game ban, and a head injury and another knock
Digne broken ankle
Coleman constantly injured
Mina constantly injured
Gomes constantly injured
Pickford shoulder injury, and Olsen out at same time meaning Virginia played against City
Mina constantly injured
Holgate 3 months with broken toe
DCL 2 separate hamstring injuries
James fit once a month
Delph never fit

I could go on and on. The only difference thos year is that DCL has been out longer. That doesn't make it OK to have the worst form in 22 years. Its one player.

Are people really using the Derby defeat to beat Benitez with... you are comparing two clubs... one in its best purple patch for nearly 30 years against a club who has been mis managed and wasted millions for years. If your going to bash Benitez be fair about it.. do it when he has the tools at his disposal and not one arm tied behind his back in the form of players not fit to wear the shirt, he is also having to manage with a shambles up above him with no direction or basic plan of how to go forward...

…I’m having a rum.

It’s these practical and observable things that are of real concern.

We look like we are going to concede a goal every time the opposition has a corner. The defence is all over the place, the players look dejected and unmotivated, we seldom create any chances.

We are currently experiencing actual relegation form and it’s been going on for over two months!
Yeah but what you have to remember is none of that counts unless we have our best 11 on the pitch. You're just going have to wait until the 2nd half of the season before we can set about trying to fix any of that malarky.

WTF?!?!

Holgate, Delph, Iwobi, Seamus, Keane, Gomes, Gylf, off form Digne and patchty pickford.....mate, NO ONE thought we were capable of anything based on our form after Christmas. At least Carlo had bang average players to chose from, RB hasnt even had that for best part of three months
Exactly you have simply pointed out that we have the same squad that narrowly missed out on Europe. There were plenty who felt we were unlucky with 59 points not to make Europe. Ancelotti had bad injuries too it just doesn't fit the agenda.

View attachment 147566

But the poster said he had a full squad which was not true and we started well due to no injuries. But Benitez started well due to no injuries as well in his first few games.

Our form then dropped last season when we had no full backs available, and then towards the end of the season when mina, doucoure, allan, dcl, James spent several games out (which also overlapped). We also lost digne, Holgate and other for significant periods. Its disingenuous to act like injuries to key players is a new thing this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.